Problems downloading headers

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Problems downloading headers

Postby BlackArkDub » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:31 pm

Was using 5.54, upgraded to B6, followed the conversion thing, and everything seemed fine, but now when I go to download headers, the headers will start downloading, then they'll just disappear before they finish, the group tab updates like it finished downloading, and when I go to load posts, nothing shows up at all (filters or no filters), and if I hit the update button from the post view, at the bottom it starts downloading headers again.

I couldn't take that, so I downgraded to 5.58, and where is the scratch tab? I hadn't upgraded from 5.54 but I figured something like the scratch tab would stay in, especially since I saw a 'Wish list' in B6. What is the deal with that? Why remove something like that? Ugh, so I downgrade to 5.54, and the scratch tab is back, but by this point the header situation is so screwed up from the different versions and failed updates that I'm getting errors when I try to download and I can't view any posts.

I'm just shutting Newsbin Pro down right now and walking away. I should have known better than to touch anything.
BlackArkDub
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/19/09

Re: Problems downloading headers

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Pretty sure the scratch tab was called the par list in 5.58.

You're having a connectivity problem so, switching versions ain't going to help you. Sounds to me like Newsbin starts to download headers, the connection fails, it processes what it has and then it's waiting for you to update headers again.

What you ought to do is stick with some version, turn on "Show network commands" in the network options, then update the group and watch the logging tab. I'm going to guess that the connection is dying or being killed. Dying because your router is crashing or you're on wireless and the connections goes away (or something else). Or maybe being killed by your virus scanner.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Problems downloading headers

Postby richy99 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:03 pm

scratch tab = par tab = wish list

its the same thing called differently in different versions

you always take a chance using beta software that it might screw something up
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User