Search Subscription Service: Listings Not Current :(

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Search Subscription Service: Listings Not Current :(

Postby chaznet » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:00 am

Used to be the search subscription service was current with available Usenet content -- but with the V6 beta, it's rarely current. Most material I search for is out there, but I'm lucky if it shows up a few hours later in a search, often it takes 24 hours.

Compare the currently available data from this listing to what you can search for with the Newsbin Search service: http://www.binsearch.info/browse.php?bg ... multimedia
chaznet
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/16/05

Re: Search Subscription Service: Listings Not Current :(

Postby dexter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:57 am

It takes a while for posts to propagate on Usenet. Your specific example was posted to a different server than the one we monitor and just showed up on our server 25 minutes ago. Our database feeder cycles every hour. In the next cycle you will see these posts show up.

Last week things were slow due to spam floods on Usenet and it was taking up to 8 hours for items to show up, not counting propagation delays. That is not the case anymore.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby chaznet » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:00 pm

There must be a lot of spam again... A random test finds something winding up on BinSearch approximately 8 hours ago still hasn't propagated to NewsBin's search results: http://www.binsearch.info/?q=apprentice&max=100&adv_age=1&server=
chaznet
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:53 pm

I'm seeing a 3 hour difference between when that post showed up on binsearch and when it showed up on our servers. Again, it was posted through a different server so I can only assume propagation delays.

I'll pick a new post off that server and track to see how long it takes to show up on our servers, just to make sure.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chaznet » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:04 am

Any chance this'll be improved at some point? The lag in posts showing up has prompted me to search for alternative newsreaders with similar search functionality. I found one, NewsLeecher. While I much prefer the Newsbin software, their search service is spot on -- posts show up immediately, just like Newsbin used to. I just searched for 4 posts via NewsLeecher, all of which showed up both in standard and hi-def versions, and none showed up in Newsbin.
chaznet
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:41 am

Yes, I suspect it's going to speed if before too long. Yesterday, I was working on the tool that inserts the data in the database and the new one (based on 6) is damn fast. Now it's just a matter of testing and eventually promoting it to the production search server.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby chaznet » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:56 pm

I've been keeping an eye on it hoping things would speed up. So far no luck in that regards. Just cancelled a longstanding subscription but will revisit the service later in hopes speed of items showing up in a search is returned as I >much< prefer your software over anything else out there.

For now I've switched to NewsLeecher as it's search feature shows items instantaneously as they become available, however, the software itself is an abacus in comparison to Newsbin :(
chaznet
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:25 pm

Our design goal is to cycle every 30 min. Currently we are cycling every 15-20 min. I could make it every 5 minutes but didn't really see the point, it takes longer than that to completely post many items anyways.. I guess people have different expectations. What is your observation and what is your requirement?
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chaznet » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm sure it works fine for most -- I stopped checking exactly how long it took for headers to appear after I initially started this topic. All I can say is during the past couple months there hasn't been an instance where I've found something in Newsbin search before Newsleecher, which is what I used to grab it. After finding it in Newsleecher, I didn't keep trying Newsbin to see how much longer afterwards it showed up there.

I accidentally found that I didn't actually >need< to subscribe to anything as if I used the 'create NZB' option after searching with Binsearch.info and opening that file with Newsbin, it would start the download. Unfortunately, I didn't know about that until after purchasing the yearly option for Newsleecher.
chaznet
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:32 pm

Current search is near real time. I just checked search and headers on an active group and they're within a couple minutes of each other. To me that means your actual complaint is simply wrong.

You and few others complained, Dex and I did something about it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby chaznet » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Well I guess 'simply wrong' means I've been checking a couple minutes too soon then. I've been checking Newsbin first, if it hasn't been there, I've moved on. Argumentative responses both here and via private messages aren't exactly customer service oriented.
chaznet
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support