beta 6 build 849 running on ubuntu lucid

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

beta 6 build 849 running on ubuntu lucid

Postby Jean » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:44 pm

Peace of cake.
Only 32 bit build selectable though.
Jean
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/12/04

Re: beta 6 build 849 running on ubuntu lucid

Postby Alex Atkin UK » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:44 am

Makes sense as WINE 64bit compatibility is very early days as naturally getting 32bit to work right is the priority.
Alex Atkin UK
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/12/06

Postby DThor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:15 am

FWIW, the newish Suse 11.4 serves up 64 bit wine by default, installed Newsbin 64 on it and it works a treat. Threads, too. Was surprised, I tend to hear of edgier stuff on Ubuntu first...

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Alex Atkin UK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:10 am

Might look into a 64bit version then as I just tried 6 build 892 and am having trouble getting AutoPAR to work. Is PAR support still built in?

I tried installing QuickPAR alongside but Newsbin still couldn't find it.

Other than that, 6 seems to be coming along nicely and is much easier on the eyes as well as easier to use. I love how downloads finally bundle all their files together, makes it so easy to see what you queued up now.
Last edited by Alex Atkin UK on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alex Atkin UK
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby DThor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:06 am

Yeah Newsbin has it's own par code. Try running from the command line, see if it gives errors about missing dlls, also the logging tab should say something, I believe.

I seem to recall an issue a while back about 32/64 dlls and the installer, but that was addressed ages ago.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Alex Atkin UK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:38 am

This might be a unique case as I started the download with v5 and it was having problems downloading into the right place. It was calling a move command that WINE was failing to make work across the filesystem boundary, as I was trying to download to an alternate path due to low space in my usual download path.

I moved all the files done so far manually then upgraded to v6 which found the progress so far and correctly continued but was able to move the files to the right destination. However somewhere along the line it disabled the automatic repair/extract function with no apparent way to force it to re-enable.
Alex Atkin UK
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby DThor » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:21 am

I'd nuke it from orbit and start again. Rename $HOME/.wine and install from scratch. I never have problems and every time a linux user has one, in the end they've been doing some jiggery pokery, or they're running crossover, not wine, etc. I keep it simple and things just work. Luckily, a wine bottle reinstall takes all of 20 seconds. You can always move any existing spool over after the fact.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Return to Linux