Getting tabs to stay tabs

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Getting tabs to stay tabs

Postby dane » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:19 am

Hi
The video on how the new GUI works was very helpful, but I seem to have gotten into some trouble - I'd appreciate some help. I'm trying to get the windows setup pretty much the way they were when I installed v6. The main division is groups window on top, download window on bottom. That's fine. Wish, failed and files are tabs with the download window and if I close one of them and re-open it, it opens as a tab. Nice.

But when I open a window for one of the groups (show posts) it opens full-size to the Groups window. If I drag the title bar and point to the middle of the position gadget, it nicely becomes a tab, but after closing if I reopen that group, it is full size again. Even if I make it a tab and exit nb and start it up again, it still needs to be made a tab each time.

How can I get these windows to stay tabbed?
Thanks,
Dane.
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Re: Getting tabs to stay tabs

Postby Bagman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:33 am

Ditto for me. I set up the windows where I want as floating, lock it down, but the Show Posts window always open max size and then I have to take the windows apart to see the Posts fully. I saved the configuration, but that's not helping either.

Also, when I try to dock the windows, I can't click on the docking positions. As soon as I move my mouse toward them they disappear. In watching the video, I see a highlighted area show up, but when I try it, there's no indication of the area I can dock it to, i.e. no highlighted area appears.
Bagman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/05/04

Postby richy99 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:47 am

you might want to delete workspace.xml in the data folder and then set the windows again and see if it saves
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby Bagman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:52 am

Yep, same thing. Deleted workspace.xml. Recreate the positions I wanted. Saved and locked. Exited. Re-launched NB and when I hit Ctrl-L on the group I wanted, it opened as Dockable (had been saved as floating) and full sized behind the Groups and Download list (which did stay put).
Bagman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:04 am

Post lists always tie themselves to the search tab so, the search tab has to be docked for the posts lists to show up docked. Not sure if that relates but, I suspect it does.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Bagman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm not using the Search tab. Just the Groups and the Download list (with Wish, Files, Logging as tabs).

I'ts the Show Posts (Ctrl-L) option that keeps opening up full page and not in the [floating] sized window I place it.

The image shows how the Show Posts opens up behind the the Group List and the Downloads even though it's been saved to fit into the space alloted.
Bagman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:43 pm

Bring the search tab back and the posts lists will dock to it. No search tab means I have no idea where the posts lists are going to go.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Bagman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:34 pm

Yep, that worked. Cheers!
Bagman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor