Feature Requests

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Re: Feature Requests

Postby richy99 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:46 pm

if you want autopar to extract the archives why would you want all the par files to download aswell?assemble incompletes will be working by the final version
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby daguenet » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:07 pm

richy99 wrote:if you want autopar to extract the archives why would you want all the par files to download aswell?assemble incompletes will be working by the final version

So in the final version newsbin will automaticly assemble incomplete files, if so then that is great. I guess then I don't need to down load all the pars so I can do the fixes manually.
daguenet
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/25/09

Postby richy99 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:14 pm

auto assemble incompletes has been temporarily disabled during the beta cycle

edit : you shouldnt need to download all the pars, currently if you just assemble incomplete on the missing parts autopar will do its thing and downlaod the necessary par2 files and repair and then extract
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Why don't you just right click the set and hit "Assemble Incompletes"?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby daguenet » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Quade wrote:Why don't you just right click the set and hit "Assemble Incompletes"?

I do that now, but its a pain. Once Auto Assemble Incomplete is back on then it will get to be much better. I still have 5000+ posts to download now and many are multi part file sets so I seem to be spending lots of time doing Assemble Incomplete and hoping things will work out.

As you all said Auto Assemble Incomplete is disabled at this point and I am testing beta code I ain't got nothing to complain about :D

Thanks
Aaron
daguenet
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby nethead » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Has there been a request to limit the length of the "download to folder for the subject name"? :?:

Example; a checkbox and digit entry for max length, done in the settings. The user can change length as needed or not use.

Sometimes the length of the subject name is too looooong for windows and truncates the saved file name; then autopar(unrar) is unable to do it's job. :)

thx
nethead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/25/06

Postby Quade » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Newsbin is truncating it. Newsbin can make the filenames well over 250 bytes but, explorer can't handle it.

I can think about shortening it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bismark » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:15 pm

I find I have misspelled a subject filter on the Filter options panel and would like a way to delete it. Will V6 allow me to delete or edit a filter?
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/27/10

Postby dexter » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Should be able to select it and hit the delete key.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nethead » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:48 pm

Quade wrote:Newsbin is truncating it. Newsbin can make the filenames well over 250 bytes but, explorer can't handle it.

I can think about shortening it.

correct, it's a wonderful (not) explorer issue (doh) / using 64bit Win2k3 OS and still have this issue; thank you Bill G. (the man whom thought 640K would be enough)

Thank you for looking into this. :D
nethead
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/25/06

Postby Mobius » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Request: Have option to highlight in red (customizable) files that were extracted from incomplete or corrupted rar set. Also, option to display message about rar set being corrupted or incomplete. It's annoying to get the warning message when we are sampling a rar set we are still downloading.
Mobius
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/18/09

Postby Mobius » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Request: Double click on tray icon puts focus on NewsBin password window. The recent fix to allow only one instance of the password window was much welcomed, but now accidental double click on the tray icon puts focus outside the password box field so you still have to end up performing additional click before typing password.
Mobius
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/18/09

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:55 pm

Request: Have option to highlight in red (customizable) files that were extracted from incomplete or corrupted rar set. Also, option to display message about rar set being corrupted or incomplete. It's annoying to get the warning message when we are sampling a rar set we are still downloading.

Unrars that fail, all the files should be named "Filename_Sample.ext"

Only perfect unrars get their real filenames.

I see no reason to remove the error message. I think it's more important to know the file failed than to avoid a click.

Single click is all you need to activate the tray icon. Clicking twice probably gives focus to the password, then takes it away.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ThisFaceLeftBlank » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:29 pm

How about a way to set what program you use to read a post. Most of what I want to read are .NFO files, and I like to read them in Damn NFO viewer. If I read the post, it opens in Notepad.

1. The formatting is often bad in Notepad for NFO files

2. If there are any weblinks I want to click on (like the IMDB, or other places), I have to cut the URL and paste it into Firefox. This gets annoying when you do this many times a session. Damn NFO viewer lets me click on the link and it opens a new tab in Firefox. Notepad obviously doesn't.

3. I have Windows set up to use Damn NFO viewer if I click on an NFO file. Often, I'll just download the file and click on it, but then if I'm not already viewing the DL tab, I have to click to change tabs, and then click on the file, kind of annoying. SOMETIMES, in my hurry to click on the NFO file, I'll instead click a little high and sort the list by name, which then makes me go look for the file in my DL list. My fault, but since I click on that top file many times a session, it increases the odds of it happening.

I guess it's probably just me it bothers, since this program has been in existence and updated for a decade and it still does this. It just seems like a lot of extra clicking and fiddling where it doesn't need to be. If Newsbin would use the program I have associated with .NFO files, or if I could manually tell Newsbin what program I'd like to read posts with, it would make the overall experience much more enjoyable for me. After all, that's why we can assign files with a given suffix to open with certain programs - to work faster and with less annoyance.
ThisFaceLeftBlank
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/16/11

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:03 pm

If you change you ".txt" extension reader in windows to be you info viewer, it should start you NFO viewer. Newsbin just runs whatever program windows says is supposed to handle text files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ThisFaceLeftBlank » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Quade wrote:If you change you ".txt" extension reader in windows to be you info viewer, it should start you NFO viewer. Newsbin just runs whatever program windows says is supposed to handle text files.

Yeah, that sounds like it would work for me. Most of my text files are in RTF format these days, and those that aren't, well, NFO viewer would work fine in nearly all cases. The rare cases that I actually need to edit a TXT file are far outnumbered by the number of times I read NFO files in Newsbin every day. Clicks, time and effort will be saved. It would be nice if Newsbin passed NFO files to the appropriately-assigned program, but considering all the other, more important things involved with finishing up v6, this workaround is good enough.
ThisFaceLeftBlank
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:45 pm

If you actually download the NFO instead of Ctrl-Ring it, then double-click it in the files list, it'll also pop up the NFO viewer

Hold down shift when you add it to download and it'll queue to the top of the list and download almost instantly.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ThisFaceLeftBlank » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:10 am

Quade wrote:If you actually download the NFO instead of Ctrl-Ring it, then double-click it in the files list, it'll also pop up the NFO viewer

Hold down shift when you add it to download and it'll queue to the top of the list and download almost instantly.

Yeah, I addressed that in #3 of my first post. The shift-downloading is a trick I didn't know though, and it will come in handy in the future.

I already changed the association of TXT files to use my NFO viewer as per your suggestion, and it works for me. I very seldom edit TXT files, and so having to right-click/EDIT in those cases is of little consequence next to the clicks saved from my Newsbin interaction.
ThisFaceLeftBlank
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby ReInstall » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi,
Good work on the beta so far!

Here's a cool feature that would be awesome...

Renaming and sorting of successfully completed downloads with newzbin integration.
For example: Look up the details of a TV show nzb. (Show name, Series #, Ep #, Ep name) and automatically rename and move the file to a defined folder.

I've seen it working well on sabnzb - but prefer the interface and speed of newsbin pro by far!

Thanks,
Paul
ReInstall
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/18/03

Postby Quade » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:55 pm

How about explaining it in more detail without mentioning any real filenames?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Semel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Speed Limiter properities - > Auto-pause next jobs in a download queue while the previous one gets unrared\repaired
(Fast unrar\repair! Long live the Disk!) :D

PS I dont really care if it is done via INI or interface. You cant put everything in the interface so INI is OK
Semel
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/25/09

Postby Dundee » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:19 pm

Newsbin 6 is great!!

In ver 6 the groups window is arranged alphabetically and can no longer be arranged by the user as before. I used to arrange my groups so the groups with the least posts were on top. This allowed me to show the posts in each group and go down the list as each group was completed.
Dundee
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/25/09

Postby dexter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Yeah, it's bug #5 on the Version 6 Bug List
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gripen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:34 am

Sorry if these are already mentioned in earlier posts, just trying to post my 2 cents:
- If you download let's say 5 different 'episodes' of a show via one NZB it makes 5 main-posts on the download screen with all its files under it which you can see when you expand it. Now it would be nice to see per main-post what the curren status is, "Downloading...", "Extracting...", "Repairing" etc. I know you can see the download status, as in how much percent complete it is.
- Double clicking on the speed in the status bar should in my opinion automatically open the Network tab of the options, so you can quickly configure your speed limiting settings or what else
Gripen
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/13/11

Postby itimpi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:58 am

Gripen wrote:- If you download let's say 5 different 'episodes' of a show via one NZB it makes 5 main-posts on the download screen with all its files under it which you can see when you expand it. Now it would be nice to see per main-post what the curren status is, "Downloading...", "Extracting...", "Repairing" etc. I know you can see the download status, as in how much percent complete it is.

At the moment this can be seen by the color of the progress bar:
- yellow = repairing
- green = extracting
Quade has already said that the status column will eventually also indicate this as using color coding does not work for those who are color-blind( which is not at all that uncommon).
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Gripen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:52 am

itimpi wrote:At the moment this can be seen by the color of the progress bar:
- yellow = repairing
- green = extracting
Quade has already said that the status column will eventually also indicate this as using color coding does not work for those who are color-blind( which is not at all that uncommon).

Ok thanks for the information about the colors! I think it's indeed still a good addition for the color blind and in general public, so nice work.
Gripen
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/13/11

Postby crawfish » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:00 am

Edit Filter

It should be possible to edit subject and filename filters a little adeptly more than:

1. Click on existing filter.
2. Copy it into a text editor that can show the whole complicated regular expression and make the edits.
3. Copy it back to the Newsbin field.
4. Remember to click "Add".
5. Find the original filter, which if long, will be indistinguishable in the list from the new filter, and delete it. Note that when you click on a list item, the text box displays the beginning of the text, so you may have to click on the text box and scroll around to tell the filters apart.

I would recommend double-clicking to invoke an alternate editor native to Newsbin to address (2) and (3). This can be as simple as a resizable dialog box with an editbox and OK/Cancel buttons. But even enabling in-place editing would be extremely welcome.
crawfish
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/16/11

Postby daguenet » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:57 am

Could the icon next to multipart downloads be changed to the down arrow in the green circle when newsbin is downloading parts from the compacted list of files. I know the status bar moves, but some of the multipart downloads I do are so big that the status bar only move at a very slow rate.

By the way, Beta 6 is great.
daguenet
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:12 am

Let me look into it. I like the idea.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Re: Feature Requests Colors & Grids

Postby nc_usenet » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Some GUI-related items that would help me in using Newsbin V6 (please let me know if there is a way to do these currently):

Post Tabs
1)When I sort by a column, the background of that column is greyed-out(makes it harder for me to see the data). Is there be a way to turn this behavior off?
2)Is there a way to display grid lines?
3)Currently, all of the columns (except subject) are greyed-out). Is there a way to extend my chosen (new/old/failed/etc) background color to all columns?

Thanks
nc_usenet
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/21/11

Keyboard shortcuts: Closing Tabs

Postby Goattee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:43 am

I was accustomed to using keyboard shortcuts in versions < 6.

The old UI (and most MDI apps) use Ctrl+F4 to close tabs. Can you implement this?
Goattee
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/27/09

Moving Groups in the Groups Tab (Drag and Drop)

Postby Goattee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:47 am

I don't know if this is a known issue awaiting implementation:

Can you implement drag and drop allowing users to move groups within the same category they are already in?
Goattee
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/27/09

Postby Andreas » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:17 pm

I would like to have the following switch: Always display the size in units of KB. NewsLeecher had this option too, and I liked it. This option makes it easier to distinguish large posts from small posts. Currently you can see this by the colour: dark grey means large post, light grey means small post. But I find it easier to have long and small numbers. For example

Code: Select all
          Size:
1,234,567.89 KB
       12.34 KB

In the above example, it is very easy to see that the first post is much larger than the second post.
Andreas
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/11/10

Postby jackholexxxx » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:55 am

I would like to be able to subscribe to a group from the search tab results.
jackholexxxx
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/01/04

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:37 am

I made a note about this.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby etmriwi » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am

First of all I really like the new V6 look. Now that I have it setup the way I like its really good and also much faster than v5 in loading and displaying group data.

I currently use an SSD as my download drive to speed up repair and have less harddisk noise during download. However the SSD size is limited (128GB) so I would like to be able to "Unrar/Join rar files" to a different location. Comparing with winrar : you can select "unpack here" or "unpack ..." where you get a dialogue letting you select an appropriate destination. I usually put downloaded stuff one of my NAS PC's so I would like to be able to select a different destination for each download individually.

If that could be done :) I would be even happier :)

<edit : I use manual unrar because of the SSD limited size, so I have not enabled the automatic unrarring >
etmriwi
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/22/09

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:38 am

Even with automatic unrar, you can spec a different unrar folder currently. Look in the unrar options. For example, you can download to D: and then unrar to E:

6.0B9 will let you assign a new unrar folder "Per download" so, you can manually assign a new unrar folder and when you manually unrar it'll go where you ask.

I think Newsbin already has what you want with the "Override UnRAR path" option.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby etmriwi » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks. I saw the unrar options and override. I'll give that override option a try too.

Very nice that 6.0B9 has the "per download destination" already. That's great because each download should go into a well organized spot on the network :) I am running 6.0B8 now.
etmriwi
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/22/09

Postby MrBrad92122 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:27 pm

Autoclose option when transfer rate goes to zero for configurable time. This way partially downloaded posts (say with missing parts) will not keep Newsbin from closing.

This actually costs me money!

I depend on Newsbin closing so the computer will go into sleep mode. This dang PC is a power hog. Having it go into sleep mode actually saves me about 20 bucks a month. Maybe more.
Don't you think that DbNull and Null will be the paradoxes that someday tear the fabric of the universe apart?

It is nothing - but it is something.

It has no value - but it is not empty.

MrBrad92122
n00b
n00b

Postby MrBrad92122 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:28 pm

Better information on why a post failed a filter. Sometimes it's hard to tell.
Don't you think that DbNull and Null will be the paradoxes that someday tear the fabric of the universe apart?

MrBrad92122
n00b
n00b

Postby MrBrad92122 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:32 pm

Language based filter. Languages being what they are, it's difficult to filter them out.

As an example if a post contains Norwegian words in the subject, it should fail the filter. Or German.

Perhaps a way to import words lists? Or a way to designate a dictionary/word list file?

MrBrad92122
n00b
n00b

Postby MrBrad92122 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Filter based on base domain of the poster. Such as "Filter out all *@*.nl posters". Or can i do that now?

MrBrad92122
n00b
n00b

Postby richy99 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:52 pm

why did you make 4 separate posts? could have just put it all in 1 post to make it more legible

language based filter - just setup a filter with key words then ?
the logging tab shoudl give this info for failed files
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:09 pm

Last one you can do now.

Poster lockouts can use regular expressions now.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Jean » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:28 am

Amount of damage (blocks missing, or else blocks x of y) plus progress, and ETA would be nice.

+1

I also like to see more info on the progress of a post in stead of just the colors for downloading / checking /repair / unrar. Those numbers mentioned would be fine. It's not that much info and could be displayed in the download window, maybe in the Current Progress column.
I would not like to use the properties window for such info.
A percentage downloaded displayed would also be nice.
I asked for this before, more feedback on what Nb is doing, and you promised! :)
Jean
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/12/04

Postby itimpi » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:15 am

With B9 there is a lot more information in the Status column. It does not yet have anything about the block counts, but most of the details about the files in a set are there.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby klawdek » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:44 pm

I have skimmed this thread but have not had a chance to read it in detail so I am sorry if this has already been mentioned.

When a poster posts one thing of interest, or one thing in a series of things, it is often times the case that they post other things of interest or in the same series of things.

So, there are times when it useful to be able to look at the posts of one poster. The ability to lock out or DL all posts from one poster exists. I think the ability to filter IN all posts from one poster goes along these other features (nice to look at the posters posts before DLing them all).

I think it would be useful to be able to filter IN based on poster, anytime a post list is displayed no matter how the post list was generated (Show post list of local headers, search of local headers, internet search etc).

It would be nice if I could just highlight a post and then click on something that would cause the post list to display just posts from that poster.

There are some other things I would like to have in the way of filtering but for now I will see what happens with this suggestion.
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/09/11

Postby MrBrad92122 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:39 am

richy99 wrote:why did you make 4 separate posts? could have just put it all in 1 post to make it more legible

To annoy you?

Seriously, I dunno. But since your user profile says "Total posts: 6326", and you didn't whack-a-mole me, I'll bow to your judgement in future posts.
MrBrad92122
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:18 am

I didn't care and it's my forum. I mean sure, it was annoying but, the purpose of this forum is to get help with Newsbin so, little stuff like that just flows by doesn't really matter.

You notice nobody gets flamed here? It's because I rule with an iron fist and delete flaming posts out of hand.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:23 am

I think it would be useful to be able to filter IN based on poster, anytime a post list is displayed no matter how the post list was generated (Show post list of local headers, search of local headers, internet search etc).

I hear what you're saying. The way I do it is select one of his posts, then sort on the "From" column so, all of his posts are centered around my selected post. I get what you're asking for though. It sounds like an entirely different and confusing regime. It's something that'll take some thought.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

PreviousNext

Return to V6 Technical Support