V6.0b9 hangs now and again...

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

V6.0b9 hangs now and again...

Postby mesadude » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:26 pm

I'll be downloading files, and scrolling down the list of groups, updating and refreshing different ones, when now & again, Newsbin will just hang. If I click anywhere on the screen, I get the Windows7 error that Newsbin has stopped working, etc.

I restart and it continues where it left off with the downloads, however, I have to reset my screen again to the setup I like.

Mesadude
mesadude
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: V6.0b9 hangs now and again...

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:39 pm

If you set the display, exit and restart. The screen layout will then persist.

Are you doing anything in particular when it hangs?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mesadude » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi there. When I set the display, exit & restart, the display is always back to the original layout, and I have to drag windows around to where I like them every time I start the program. I've tried using the locking feature, but that only seems to lock the display while I'm using the program.

Well, typically, when the program hangs, I've just updated a group, and right-clicked to Show Posts. From what I recall, the display scroll bar at the bottom of the page will start moving, get to the end of its travel, and just hang there for a while. Many groups have a lot of entries, and sometimes it's just that they take a long time to load. But every so often, I'll go to click somewhere on the page after it seems like I've waited long enough, and I get the error.

Also, I've noticed with this newer version of the program, that when I grab a large group of files to download, it takes a lot longer for them all to populate the Downloads tab & window. Maybe 10 times longer than it used to with V5. Many times during this 'population' I can't go on to view other groups until this loading has stopped.

General sluggishness here and there compared with V5. I'm using Win7 with a pretty fast machine.

Thanks,
Mesadude
mesadude
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:25 pm

Sounds like Newsbin can't save the "Workspace.xml". If you have one in the data folder, delete it and try again. If you exit and don't end up with one then there's a permissions problem and Newsbin can't write it.

Also, I've noticed with this newer version of the program, that when I grab a large group of files to download, it takes a lot longer for them all to populate the Downloads tab & window. Maybe 10 times longer than it used to with V5. Many times during this 'population' I can't go on to view other groups until this loading has stopped.

General sluggishness here and there compared with V5. I'm using Win7 with a pretty fast machine.

I've got nothing like that. Everything is disk based though so, slow disks will make everything slow. Some people use USB for the data folder for example or a NAS box. That's just asking for trouble. If you just finished a header download it might still be inserting data into the DB. While that's happening, things will be slower.

As a point of reference, I added 1 TB of files to the download list and it took 15 seconds. Then I added another 2.4 TB for a total of 3.4 TB, exited and restarted. It took about 15 seconds to load the whole download list up. How do your numbers compare to that? Are you adding large files or small?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mesadude » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Hmmm. I deleted the workspace.xml. I'll try again.

Just tried after the deletion. I opened the program, dragged my windows where I like them, exited and restarted. Same result. Once I start browsing groups, I have to take my Group window, and remove it with its tab, use the 'right' arrow to dock it on the right-hand side, then drag its border to make it how I prefer it. When I exit and restart, I have to do this all over again with every restart.

I might add 5000 files at once, once in a while. Not terribly large in size. Maybe 5 to 7 Gigs or so max. It could take up to 10 minutes or so for the files to actually work their way into the Download window. This seems to be where the slowdown is occuring.

Thanks for your help.
Mesadude
mesadude
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:59 am

You might just be dragging it into some position it doesn't support. I don't know.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby MilesAhead » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:41 pm

mesadude wrote:I'll be downloading files, and scrolling down the list of groups, updating and refreshing different ones, when now & again, Newsbin will just hang. If I click anywhere on the screen, I get the Windows7 error that Newsbin has stopped working, etc.

I restart and it continues where it left off with the downloads, however, I have to reset my screen again to the setup I like.

Mesadude

On the hang issue, I was getting that on b9. I went back to b8 and it stopped hanging. Then I tried uninstall of b8, but leaving data and registry entries intact. Also manually deleted the Program Files\Newsbin folder. Then after I installed b9 it hasn't crashed again. I'm guessing it was because I kept just installing the betas over the old betas without doing an uninstall. But that's just guess.

Might be worth a try though.
Windows Seven 32 bit no SP
HP Pavilion AMD 5200+ dual core
2 GB ram
MilesAhead
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/23/06

Postby Quade » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:04 pm

You know, I had another report that suggested the installer couldn't always replace the language.dll file. That could cause serious problems. I'm going to get Dex to look at it. That might explain hanging and crashing, the language files are matched to the Newsbin version.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support