Downloaded posts stay in "all posts" list

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Downloaded posts stay in "all posts" list

Postby DeadSerious » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:51 am

I've noticed that downloaded posts stay in the lists of posts for that group. I might be mistaken on this, but didn't the older versions hide those downloaded posts from the list? I tried changing the "display group option" in the "switches" option, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Do I have a setting wrong? (Using beta 9) It's kind of time consuming having to wade through all the posts previously downloaded when I update and open that group for the day. Also, I noticed that If I hit the "del" key, the posts do disappear, but if I right click and select "mark posts old," they don't.
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/07

Re: Downloaded posts stay in "all posts" list

Postby DThor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:37 am

Do you have Hide Old enabled? A post should never disappear completely apart from manually deleting it or it falling off the edge of retention you've set in options.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby DeadSerious » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:34 pm

DThor wrote:Do you have Hide Old enabled? A post should never disappear completely apart from manually deleting it or it falling off the edge of retention you've set in options.

DT

Yes, "hide old" is enabled. I could have sworn that in older versions when a post was downloaded it would disappear from the post list, and I'm almost positive that they disappeared from view by the next time I loaded the program/group. Maybe I had a switch set in the older versions?

I go through some of the groups alphabetically by post. I use Enter to load the post, del to delete it. I would have noticed having to delete all the posts I had downloaded the day before, especially since--as they are now--they are interspersed with the latest posts, so I can't just use Shift to select the range. I have to delete them individually.
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DeadSerious » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:37 pm

By the way, in the older versions, the downloaded posts WERE there if I unchecked the "hide old" button, so maybe all of this is a long winded way of saying that, for me, the "hide old" option doesn't seem to work for downloaded files? As I said, I did use the switch in the options to show "only undeleted/undownloaded posts" as well, thinking that might work, but with no luck.
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:38 pm

I use Enter to load the post, del to delete it.

If you REALLY want to delete. Shift-Del is the way to go. "Del" just marks the posts old.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DThor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:03 pm

There is one thing related to your report that has changed: if you have auto mark old on(like I do - marks old whatever you load), you download a file, the next session when you load up new posts, the download post will show up as new...but downloaded. That didn't happen in 5 iirc. Just by loading it that second time, however, it's old now, and further loads with Hide Old enabled, you won't see it.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby DeadSerious » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:51 pm

Quade wrote:
I use Enter to load the post, del to delete it.

If you REALLY want to delete. Shift-Del is the way to go. "Del" just marks the posts old.

Yeah, that's all I really want to do is to mark them old. I have "hide old" on, and I just want them not to show up in the list of posts in the respective group. I don't want to delete them, just in case there was some issue on my end, and I have to re-download them. That way, I can just unhide them and find them again.
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DeadSerious » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:15 pm

DThor wrote:There is one thing related to your report that has changed: if you have auto mark old on(like I do - marks old whatever you load), you download a file, the next session when you load up new posts, the download post will show up as new...but downloaded. That didn't happen in 5 iirc. Just by loading it that second time, however, it's old now, and further loads with Hide Old enabled, you won't see it.

DT

Unless I'm understanding you wrong, though, that's still not what I'm talking about. In the past, when I would choose to download a post(s), I would select them, then press Enter. The posts would show up in the download list, and in the group list, they would show up with a check mark, and then when they had finished downloading, they would have the little green lines icon that showed they were downloaded. The next time I updated/loaded that group, those downloaded files would no longer show up. Now, they do. And, as I said, I can select a downloaded post, right click on it, choose "mark posts old" and although the selection highlighting goes to the next post in line, the one now marked "old" is still there. (If I use the del key instead of right-clicking, all works as supposed to, though*) And yes, "hide old" is selected. I also went to options/options/switches/display group mode, and selected "display only unread/undownloaded files." Shouldn't that alone keep those downloaded posts from showing up the next time I update/load the group?

* Okay, further info: It seems if "hide old" is previously selected when I load the group, the right-clicking-mark-old doesn't work. If, however, I uncheck and then recheck "hide old" it does.
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:40 pm

Well, perhaps I didn't phrase it clearly enough, but what you described, is what I meant. It's just that downloaded isn't the same as old anymore.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby DeadSerious » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:44 pm

DThor wrote:Well, perhaps I didn't phrase it clearly enough, but what you described, is what I meant. It's just that downloaded isn't the same as old anymore.

DT

Okay, that may be, but I still set the option to "display only unread/undownloaded files." Shouldn't that hide the downloaded files? If not, what is that option for? And it still doesn't explain why the delete key works to mark a post old, but right-clicking and selecting "mark posts old" (which should do the same thing) doesn't.
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DeadSerious » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Also, you mentioned "auto mark old." I'm not using that option, and have never used it. That's why I thought you were talking about something else. Sorry if I misunderstood, but I wasn't talking about the "auto mark old" function. That's not what I want to do.
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 am

Yup, np, I am definitely stuck in my ways with the auto mark old... ;)

I'm not in front of Newsbin atm, so I'll need to hunt down that option - don't recall it offhand. I do know that downloaded isn't the same as old, you need to somehow mark it old. It is possible the option you mention is there but not hooked up...

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby DeadSerious » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 am

DThor wrote:Yup, np, I am definitely stuck in my ways with the auto mark old... ;)

I'm not in front of Newsbin atm, so I'll need to hunt down that option - don't recall it offhand. I do know that downloaded isn't the same as old, you need to somehow mark it old. It is possible the option you mention is there but not hooked up...

DT

My biggest problem with the auto mark old is that I often have posts that I don't quite want enough to add to the wish list, but I don't quite want to mark old yet. But with the ones I've already downloaded interspersed in there, it's tough to wade through them all. It's entirely possible that the option is not hooked up, I suppose. Anyone out there know for sure? What else can "show unread/undownloaded" mean? I've still gotta think the whole right-click/del key thing has got to be a bug. I did make a flash screen recording of what I'm talking about, if anyone wants to check it out.

DS
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 am

I have a note in my todo list that "Old" isn't working as well as before.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DeadSerious » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Quade wrote:I have a note in my todo list that "Old" isn't working as well as before.

Thanks! For what it's worth, the right-click/del key discrepancy seems to be that although they both mark the post as old, the right-click method doesn't seem to refresh the list (and thus make the "old posts" vanish) immediately.

Also, just want to make it clear that this is still the best program of its kind, hands down.

DS
DeadSerious
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support