Mark downloaded articles as old??

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Mark downloaded articles as old??

Postby komugi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:53 pm

I had this working in 5.0, but in 6, seems like after I download, and reopen it, the articles are still marked as Idle/New
komugi
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/14/04

Re: Mark downloaded articles as old??

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:03 pm

Still a work in progress for 6.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby komugi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:16 pm

Ok, just wanted to make sure since I was searching in options for a while. Hah
komugi
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:17 pm

I think it's evaluating "downloaded" before "old" and that's why it's acting kind of weird.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby klawdek » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:17 am

I am confused by the old status. I tried marking some things that I had DLed in another reader as old and it just unmarks them. Other times things I DLed are marked as old instead of DLed. Also I customized the colors for new, old and downloaded and the colors are not usually applied but sometimes are.

Could we get the ability to mark and unmark files as downloaded? This is useful for when files have already been DLed by another reader or from another group.
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/09/11

Postby komugi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:31 am

klawdek wrote:I am confused by the old status. I tried marking some things that I had DLed in another reader as old and it just unmarks them. Other times things I DLed are marked as old instead of DLed. Also I customized the colors for new, old and downloaded and the colors are not usually applied but sometimes are.

Could we get the ability to mark and unmark files as downloaded? This is useful for when files have already been DLed by another reader or from another group.

Why would marking something as old in another reader affect NewsBin? It's not like it it marks it server side. If you mark it old on another reader, it'll only show up as old in that reader, but will still show up as new in NewsBin.
komugi
n00b
n00b

Postby mho » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:49 pm

komugi wrote:
klawdek wrote:Could we get the ability to mark and unmark files as downloaded? This is useful for when files have already been DLed by another reader or from another group.

Why would marking something as old in another reader affect NewsBin? It's not like it it marks it server side. If you mark it old on another reader, it'll only show up as old in that reader, but will still show up as new in NewsBin.

I think that is why is is asking for the _ability to mark_ posts as downloaded:-)

I, for one, would be happy if it was possible to mark posts as _not_ downloaded. (Mark posts new doesn't do it, anymore (like it did in v5.))

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby klawdek » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:21 am

Yes I was referring to my manually marking things in Newsbin as downloaded, that I have downloaded in another news reader or group.
I do this by opening the other newsreader and looking at what has been DLed and marking it as such in Newsbin.

Right now you can only mark as old.

The downloaded and old thing seems to be pretty messed up. I posted about it in the registered beta forum so I will not get into it here.

Hopefully, Quade will fix this in the next few releases. If you are going to support traditional browsing then marking things as DLed is pretty important for people to keep track of what has been DLed.
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/09/11

Postby Arkman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:49 pm

Using V6 Beta 11 for a week now.
I found that bringing the downloaded headers into focus either by searching or scrolling them into view then toggling the filter check box on and off will make them go away. Have to repeat for downloaded posts that arn't in focus.
Closing and reloading group will bring the downloaded posts back into the list even though they are marked as downloaded.
Arkman
n00b
n00b

Postby Arkman » Sat May 07, 2011 1:56 pm

V6 Beta 12 for past week
Loading groups still shows idle/old posts after download.
Have to bring idle/old posts into focus then either do an empty search or toggle filters on off to make them not show.
I can also simply press the delete key on idle/old posts and they never come back even if reloading group.
kinda weird but still very workable.

Sorting by status on large groups is painfully slow.

I'm loving the new look and feel of V6.
Arkman
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support