CHUNKS folder

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

CHUNKS folder

Postby g51 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:41 am

In Options\Advanced, there is a setting named "Use Chunks folder". I have tried it and find it convenient but there is little visual gain from removing the individual chunks from the download folder just to see a Chunks folder in the way. I i would like to not see it under the download folder at all. I tried hiding it but every time i download something, it gets unhidden. So, my question is why not make it selectable, like other paths (i.e. UnRAR)? What if i want to take it completely out of the way by placing it under the %temp% folder?
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/16/11

Re: CHUNKS folder

Postby itimpi » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:07 am

It is not as simple as that. If you enable this option you get a CHUNKS folder in every folder that receives downloads, and when there are no chunks left it is removed. Therefore there is no one location that can be set.

The idea behind the CHUNKS folder is that many uses prefer to see one folder at the level where the downloads end up rather than lots of .nb! files as the files download which then promptly disappear as they complete. The user will only see at this level completed downloads, and because the CHUNKS folder is always a sub-folder then it is efficient to do the file rename that converts a .nb! file to the final filename.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby g51 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:11 am

I suspected that, the problem is that it's of no use (like the nb! files) almost 99.9% of the time, unless a problem occurs so i would like to take it out of the way. At least it could be hidden when created...
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:56 am

Disable chunks folder mode and the problem goes away.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby g51 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:17 am

Quade wrote:Disable chunks folder mode and the problem goes away.

But then the nb! files will appear, right? :) If possible, please add a config option to make this folder hidden upon creation. Thanks.
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support