newsbin non-installer version

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

newsbin non-installer version

Postby g51 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:55 am

To the developers:

I'm a fan of programs not needing an installer to work. Do you think a non-installer flavor of newsbin could be released along with any new version that comes up (as a .zip file)?
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/16/11

Re: newsbin non-installer version

Postby DThor » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:09 am

It's unlikely, there's a fair bit of registry action that needs to happen and several files need to be created and put in appropriate locations.

If your concern is a healthy paranoia, the Newsbin guys share that, they really don't do anything sneaky. If it's system health, again they share your concern, they don't go stuffing dlls or services all over the system. It keeps dlls confined to the installation folder, and user files in the appropriate permission appropriate location for installation.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby g51 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:29 am

DThor wrote:It's unlikely, there's a fair bit of registry action that needs to happen and several files need to be created and put in appropriate locations.

If your concern is a healthy paranoia, the Newsbin guys share that, they really don't do anything sneaky. If it's system health, again they share your concern, they don't go stuffing dlls or services all over the system. It keeps dlls confined to the installation folder, and user files in the appropriate permission appropriate location for installation.

DT

Well, not so much a paranoia about anything. I just have an external HDD which i connect to multiple PCs and run some programs from there (newsbin is one of them). I don't like having to install newsbin every time a new version is released and filling up the "Installed Programs" list on every PC. Of course there may be some people with concerns like the one you mentioned, which could find the zipped version useful...
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:43 am

You can copy the Newsbin program files folder to this hard disk and run off the hard disk. You can move the data folder to this hard disk too (though if it's USB, performance will suck). You don't HAVE to install it but, if you don't, you'll have to manually set NZB associations and have to manually make Newsbin aware of where the NBI file is and where the data folder is. You''ll have to register it on each PC too.

If all you want is program files in a central location, that's easy.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby g51 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:54 am

Quade wrote:You don't HAVE to install it

Well, when a new version is released, i HAVE to install it somewhere since currently only an installer version exists. :) If a zip version existed, i would just have to unzip it in the NewsBin folder, with no leftovers in the Installed Programs list.

As is now, i have set it up so that all files are on the USB HDD, as you described. Performance is not that bad.
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support