How import old files into v6

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

How import old files into v6

Postby geranim0 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:06 pm

My old computer crashed, was able to recover 14.6GB in old Program Files/Newsbin directory which copied over to new machine.
Installed 5.99, used register key, then DL and installed 6beta12-64bit.
How can I recover old files and setting? I don't see an import function.
Hoping for a single click with auto import.
- Geranim0
geranim0
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/25/03

Re: How import old files into v6

Postby DThor » Sun May 08, 2011 9:22 pm

http://help.newsbin.com/index.php/V550- ... r_computer

That covers moving between computers in detail.

DT
PS Keep in mind that if you're moving from a pre-UAC system like XP to Win 7, be aware of locations you have permission to write to. The data directory needs to be in a user friendly location, unless you've disabled UAC.
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby geranim0 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks, DThor, for your fast reply.
Win7, at least as installed on my machine, does not appear to have a location "'C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\newsbin' ".
The closest I found was "C:\Users\username\Desktop\Documents\Newsbin Download".But that is explained by Options|Setup to be "where the files that are downloaded will go."
The rest of the article you cite is full of undefined terms, at least for my limited understanding. While I've used the app since 2002 (I bought a second copy in 2003) I just use it without much delving into the innards.
Perhaps I can just copy the contents of the old folder (including subfolders?) into the new "Newbin" folder and click on the nbi configuration file?

- Geranim0
geranim0
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/25/03

Postby Quade » Mon May 09, 2011 7:35 am

The problem is that each successive windows versions have tightened security so, folders you used to be able to write to, you can't any more. If you make new folders like "C:\Newsbin\" and "C:\Download\" then copy the old data folder to "C:\Newsbin\" folder , then change the NBI so, the data folder is "C:\Newsbin\" and the download folder is "C:\Download\". It should work.

If you can't do that, I have another suggestion.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DThor » Mon May 09, 2011 8:41 am

My personal recommend if you're not a registered nerd is to do a clean installation on the new system, which it sounds like you've already done. Let newsbin set things up properly, following the rules for UAC. I don't recommend disabling UAC at all unless you really know what you're doing! You'll see various posts around the inet telling you how to do that. Ignore. Most bitching about UAC comes from users disliking the OS telling them where to store files, but it fills a huge security hole, especially for non tech heads.
Anyway, now the trick is to move your configuration data over to the proper location rather than trying to shoehorn it into a custom place. Ignore the old locations you used. Open config and check where your data path is. You'll see the default files there, that's where you'll want to copy your filters, spools, etc. Your nbi file will have the old, incorrect location for the data folder and download folder, you'll need to edit these. Otherwise, follow the instructions in the link I posted. Most troubles down the road come from mixing old style paths into the new paradigm. I always do clean installs. Always.
This might seem a tad complicated, but the culprit is microsoft taking this long to finally start locking their file structure down. At some point, there had to be some pain. Well, that, and you wanting your old data. Of course another option would be to ignore all this and just start fresh, but that's a pain for a longtime user.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby rcooke » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:56 pm

DThor wrote:http://help.newsbin.com/index.php/V550-Advanced#Copying_Newsbin_to_another_computer

That covers moving between computers in detail.

DT
PS Keep in mind that if you're moving from a pre-UAC system like XP to Win 7, be aware of locations you have permission to write to. The data directory needs to be in a user friendly location, unless you've disabled UAC.

Covers everything but how to recover your registration key from the old machine....
Thanks in Advance,
Richard Cooke
rcooke
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/21/03

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:18 am

Use the lost key request form on the website.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support