Feature Requests

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Re: Feature Requests

Postby dane » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:56 am

Hi - I think this is a feature request - it concerns autohiding. I autohide the download tab. When I hover over the tab, it opens, then when I move to hover over the groups tab, it closes - this is good. However, when I click on the download tab, and try to click on the groups tab to close it, if I click in a non-active part of the groups tab (below the last group 'cause the d/l tab is covering all the groups) the download tab doesn't close. If the download tab is open over a group listing tab, it closes wherever you click on the listing tab.

It would be great if a second click on the tab would close it. Hope that's clear - seems confused to me and I wrote it.

thanks,
Dane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Postby etmriwi » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Quade wrote:6.0B9 will let you assign a new unrar folder "Per download" so, you can manually assign a new unrar folder and when you manually unrar it'll go where you ask.

I have been trying this but cannot get it to work.
After download (default destination d:\nbpro\groupname) I select the main post in the download list and select "Assign a new unrar path" and enter c:\temp and press OK
Then I choose unrar/Join files.. But the unrar'ed stuff goes to d:\nbpro\groupname anyway

Am I doing something wrong?

6.0B9 is what I run now.
Thanks
etmriwi
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/22/09

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:59 pm

It's really intended to work with automatic UnRAR. I don't think it's hooked up to manual unrar yet. On my todo list though.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby klawdek » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:21 am

Quade wrote:
I think it would be useful to be able to filter IN based on poster, anytime a post list is displayed no matter how the post list was generated (Show post list of local headers, search of local headers, internet search etc).

I hear what you're saying. The way I do it is select one of his posts, then sort on the "From" column so, all of his posts are centered around my selected post. I get what you're asking for though. It sounds like an entirely different and confusing regime. It's something that'll take some thought.

I use the same technique. I was also going to suggest a feature to find a poster in the post list. This would be the more useful feature. You could quickly get to a poster in the list and use sort to group all the posts.

Also it would be nice to know when Newsbin is finished processing a file after it has been DLed. I just went to move a file and Newsbin was not finished with it yet. A progress bar would be nice. If not then something that says processing file and done when finished. Ideally, I think the file should stay in the download list with a progress bar for the processing until it is finished being processed. That way if it is not in the DL list you know Newsbin is finished with it.
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/09/11

Postby itimpi » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:10 am

klawdek wrote: Ideally, I think the file should stay in the download list with a progress bar for the processing until it is finished being processed. That way if it is not in the DL list you know Newsbin is finished with it.

Is this not current behaviour? For me when Newsbin has finished processing a file in most cases it disappears from the Download list. However I agree a bit more feedback on the AutoPar stages would be welcomed.

Having said that, I have found that there is a tendency for an entry that consists only of Par files to hang around. I assume that this is due to the fact it has not been tied up with the remainder of the set so that Newsbin reliazes it is no longer needed.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:18 am

Having said that, I have found that there is a tendency for an entry that consists only of Par files to hang around. I assume that this is due to the fact it has not been tied up with the remainder of the set so that Newsbin reliazes it is no longer needed

The issue is that it doesn't know if the pars will be needed later on. Lets say you add the pars and then later decide to add the files. I don't like having useless files hang out in the download list either. To me, it still needs tweaking.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby itimpi » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:23 am

I agree when the pars are posted without the files. However I also see this behavior when the files are posted but not compacted together. It would be nice in these cases if Newsbin could associate the entries despite the compaction failure. Since they came from the same NZZb file and are going to the same Download folder it might be possible or NB to associate them?

Another possibility that occurs to me is for some way for the user to say that two entries in the download list are really part of the same download, and Newsbin to then put them all under the same entry?
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:15 am

Yes. Yes on all of your points.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby klawdek » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:15 pm

I have run into a new problem. First I left auto par/unrar on for longer than I do with other readers. So Newsbin does a better job than most on that front. However I was forced to shut it off because of a file that Newsbin kept messing up (It would come out a 0 byte file but when done manually with QuickPar and HJsplit it came out fine) I decided to leave the auto feature off.

However when I went to download an NZB file it DLed all the par volume files rather than pausing them. The pause feature really needs to be there whether the auto par/unrar is turned on or not. I have not experimented around with this yet. I assume that I could manually pause them or just delete them from the list but the pause feature is really the better way. Even someone who regularly uses the auto par/unrar feature will from time to time have to turn it off to get certain files. So it would be useful to all users. Since most users probably do use the auto par/unrar the pause Par volume files feature even when auto par is off, becomes one of those features that most do not need often but when they do need it they REALLY need it!
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby g51 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:33 am

klawdek wrote:However when I went to download an NZB file it DLed all the par volume files rather than pausing them. The pause feature really needs to be there whether the auto par/unrar is turned on or not.

Oops. I agree with you here. It would be better this way because most of the time they are not needed. If the developers feel it's not something they want to do, at least an option in the config should be added to "always insert pars in the download list as paused".
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/16/11

Postby richy99 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:28 am

g51 wrote:
klawdek wrote:However when I went to download an NZB file it DLed all the par volume files rather than pausing them. The pause feature really needs to be there whether the auto par/unrar is turned on or not.

Oops. I agree with you here. It would be better this way because most of the time they are not needed. If the developers feel it's not something they want to do, at least an option in the config should be added to "always insert pars in the download list as paused".

if the post is added as compact then the paused should be paused, the only time they will not be paused is if athey are not compacted when added or autopar is disabled
richy99
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/03

Postby klawdek » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:52 pm

I just took a 4.65GB hit on my DL cap. I Manually paused a the par volume files on a huge 33GB DL. Newsbin took it upon itself to unpause them long after the DL was complete.
klawdek
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby insolution » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:35 am

[quote="MrBrad92122"]Better information on why a post failed a filter. Sometimes it's hard to tell.[/quote]

I second that.
insolution
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/01/02

Postby boochi » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:21 pm

In previous versions the tray icon would change based on newsbin being paused or the speed limiter being on. Can you bring these back.
boochi
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/18/06

Postby lordkinbote » Thu May 12, 2011 12:11 pm

I was wondering about the possibility of an Unrar path column in the Downloads tab, so we can see at a glance which downloads are going to which unrar folders and if we've already set/reset the unrar folders of specific download to where we wanted them.
lordkinbote
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/05

Postby Quade » Thu May 12, 2011 1:56 pm

It's a good idea. I'm just wondering where I'll fit it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mho » Thu May 12, 2011 7:49 pm

When unraring/repairing, the "Size" field takes up a lot of room (if you want to see the %age). I'd suggest either moving the "Percent Completed: xx" message to the "Status" column (which is also a bit verbose and thus take up a lot of room) or changing the wording to "xx% completed" so you can see the juicy bits with a narrower column:-) (or do both...)

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby lordkinbote » Thu May 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Quade wrote:It's a good idea. I'm just wondering where I'll fit it.

I can't speak for anyone else but I have plenty of space for it. I have my NewsBin open pretty large to almost fill my screen. With v6, you guys have found a way to make the space more economical. With the tabs, more info can be seen. Very good idea on you guys' part, IMO.
lordkinbote
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby mho » Thu May 12, 2011 10:35 pm

I run newsbin (almost (heightwise)) full screen on my right 24" 1920x1200, and I'm extremely cramped for space:-) The "Download Descriptions"/"Subject" fields need about half a mile of screen real estate, so not much left to cram the rest into...:-/

- mho
mho
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/08

Postby lordkinbote » Thu May 12, 2011 11:04 pm

mho wrote:I run newsbin (almost (heightwise)) full screen on my right 24" 1920x1200, and I'm extremely cramped for space:-) The "Download Descriptions"/"Subject" fields need about half a mile of screen real estate, so not much left to cram the rest into...:-/

- mho

Some descriptions are very verbose, but compared to the UI that Newsbin had in v5, v6 gives a lot more room for the columns. All of them were cut off at some point for me before. Now, except for extremely verbose descriptions (I don't really need to see the full download path as much as I'd like to see the unrar path), I can fit all with room to spare on my screen at 1920x1080. I'm talking horizontally, of course.
lordkinbote
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby g51 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:36 am

Automatic UnRAR enabled, "Add a path prefix" enabled, "Save to a unique folder" enabled. In this case, completed files are unrared in a folder named after the newsgroup and then the rar filename. The latest has a meaning when the rar contains several files / folders. If it contains one single file, it's rather annoying. It would be nice if a new option existed next to the "Save to a unique folder": "only if the rar contains more than one file".
g51
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/16/11

Postby tls2000 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:31 am

Is there a way to have Newsbin check the completeness of something posted on USENET? For instance, if I open up an NZB file, can it check to make sure that everything is there before downloading it? Maybe prompt me? This way if there are no par sets it won't waste bandwidth.
tls2000
n00b
n00b

Postby itimpi » Wed May 18, 2011 3:58 am

tls2000 wrote:Is there a way to have Newsbin check the completeness of something posted on USENET? For instance, if I open up an NZB file, can it check to make sure that everything is there before downloading it? Maybe prompt me? This way if there are no par sets it won't waste bandwidth.

As far as I know there is no way of doing this apart from actually trying to do the download.

The question of whether a download should be attempted if the NZB file does not mention any par files is nothing to do with whether the files mentioned are actually there. I regularly download items that have no accompanying par files, so would be upset if Iwas stopped from doing so.
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Wed May 18, 2011 8:28 am

I like the concept but, in practice it's probably pretty difficult. When you open an NZB, you ought to be able to simply look at the set and see if it has pars or not. Can't you just look at the download list item and see?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby tls2000 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:52 am

Sorry I didn't articulate it in the best way.

I'm not sure if it's possible or not as I'm not entirely sure how things work. I tend to use NZB files rather than searching due to time constraints. Sometimes my hosting provider has sets that are missing hundreds of blocks to the point where even with a PAR set it can't repair it. I generally won't download anything if I notice that it doesn't have a par set. Obviously my best solution would be to have a different hosting provider with better completion rates, but I managed to get a $9.99/mo for life deal with Thundernews and would prefer to avoid switching to something more expensive.

Anyway, in this case I guess I get what I pay for. I just thought it'd be neat to have Newsbin tell me if the file sets have a better chance of being complete before downloading. I definitely see where it could be an annoyance to others if such a feature were implemented without the ability to turn it off though.
tls2000
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Thu May 19, 2011 8:35 am

Yeah, sadly it's related to actual usenet protocol. There's no command to query for existence(and for that matter completion of post), so basically you have to download it to find out. Now, with particularly large chunks, you could in theory take a run at all the chunks and kill them if they work, then build a completion table, but as Quade says, that gets messy really quickly. Your conclusion is correct, the best solution would be to cough up for a better service, but it's understandable not everyone has disposable cash for hobbies nowadays. If you haven't recently, take another hunt around for options, there's quite a range of products out there. $10/month for crappy completion and/or retention doesn't seem like that good a deal to me, tbh.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Server download counter with settable limit & Auto reset

Postby macrezz » Thu May 19, 2011 3:12 pm

Would it be possible to have a data download counter that has
1: A limit warning.
2: A monthly reset. You could set the day it resets.

My broadband provider just increased my download limit to 500gigs which at the moment i think i will never reach but back when it was at 250gig I run over a few times. As well I'm sure there are plenty of users with limits much lower.
I know it will only monitor what goes through Newsbin pro and not torrents or general internet usage but I would guess that most of peoples traffic runs through Newsbin pro anyway.
macrezz
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/29/07

speed limit setting

Postby ws » Sat May 21, 2011 2:11 pm

i already asked that for V5 but it wasn't done : the speed limiter should have a text entry and not only a slider to set it . I have just 128Kb/s connection so it's very difficult to adjust the speed limi, i woul prefer enter 80, or 70 ...
ws
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/11/03

Postby rbswft » Wed May 25, 2011 8:09 pm

Think people at Newsbin might hate me for this one but will give it a shot.

Just thinking of all the tabs and things now. Maybe an idea would be a simple "summary" tab.

All the information on there in a table like :

Total posts in download list
Failed files
Connections
Total Groups
(think you get the picture)

But also would like a graphical image of download speed, like a speedometer to show current speed, and a history one say taken over the past 7 days (or 31) as a bar graph. History one would show daily totals (GB) but also average speed maybe?

Think the last one regarding speed and downloads might be usefull as the way ISP are going on throttling users. At least we can see what we have used and not what people say we have used.

And also users can just leave this screen on so they not looking at the download list ( yes we all do it thinking the downloads will be quicker if we look at them)

B15 is running like a dream, thanks for all the work.

Just a few thoughts anyway.

Cheers
rbswft
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Thu May 26, 2011 7:58 am

I'm not sure the time taken to collect that information, most of which is already there, and dumping it in a new display would really be worth the effort, imho. The summary of network traffic is indeed a useful tool for some users trying to figure out what their isps are up to, but I would argue there are already powerful utilities already out there that do this very well and wouldn't just be Newsbin - centric. I would want to know shaping policy on everything.
Anyway, just my opinion, I don't speak for the Newsbin guys.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Previous

Return to V6 Technical Support