System is freezing

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

System is freezing

Postby nin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 pm

I do not have time to test it much but I just like to report that since newer versions of 6B my system (win 7 ent. 64 bit) is seriously lagging / freezing while dowloading. In particular the mouse movement isn't smooth. The pointer stops at least one time while moving from left to right for example. Sometimes everything freezes for up to 10 seconds. Actually it is so annoying that I had to go back to stable for the time being.
nin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/07/05

Re: System is freezing

Postby DThor » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Sounds like a system issue, every time someone reports a lagging mouse, I've suggested updating the mouse driver and it fixes it. I know that doesn't make sense since in theory it should do it for any version, but mouse movement is extremely low level and it takes something quite serious, like improper drivers, to cause this behaviour. Anyway, give it a shot before considering anything else.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby nin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:34 pm

It's a compatibility issue of V6.
nin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/07/05

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:25 pm

Why just you then? I test downloads at > 500 Mbps to my local disk. When that happens, playing video's isnt' always the smoothest but, the mouse it always responsive.

This isn't some netbook is it? You're not downloading to a USB disk are you? If anything, 6 hits the disk less hard than 5.XX.

I'm going to guess firewall or virus scanner, like I always guess when something weird like this is reported.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support