Download speed slower

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Download speed slower

Postby sandarian » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:43 am

The download speed of V6 is slower than V5 and also the header download speed with header compression is significantly slower. Can these problems be fixed in the future?
sandarian
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/08/09

Re: Download speed slower

Postby itimpi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:44 am

No idea why you should see this - my experience is the exact opposite! For me V6 is always at least as good as V5 and in many cases faster.

For header download I guess you might be seeing some speed 'artifact' depending on whether you have the header databae update (which is new in V6) running as a background task or not (it is configurable). Note that this header setting does not affect their download speed - just how soon they are available for viewing. I always let the database update happen in the background via periodic automated header downlading.

For file download I see both V5 and V6 achieving the same maximum speed. However V6 is MUCH better at maintaining this speed for me when other activities such AutoPar tasks are running.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:14 am

In the options, you can try checking "Background update" this will often speed up header download speeds but, the time to store the headers goes up.

- Unchecked - Newsbin downloads and feeds header storage in real time. This means it might make header download slower but, records are available to view faster

- Checked - Newsbin downloads to disk as quickly as it can and the records are added to storage in the background. This means the header download might be faster but, you might have to wait for the records to be viewable in the post lists.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby sandarian » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:02 pm

Quade wrote:In the options, you can try checking "Background update" this will often speed up header download speeds but, the time to store the headers goes up.

- Unchecked - Newsbin downloads and feeds header storage in real time. This means it might make header download slower but, records are available to view faster

- Checked - Newsbin downloads to disk as quickly as it can and the records are added to storage in the background. This means the header download might be faster but, you might have to wait for the records to be viewable in the post lists.

That seemed to work Quade once I checked the "Background update". It didn't work at first but once I closed out Newsbin and reopened then download speed was back to normal. Viewing the headers in the groups is longer like you said but it's not anything significant and still way way faster than in version 5.

Thx.
sandarian
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/08/09

Return to V6 Technical Support