Partial Downloads Disappear from Downloading Files Tab

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Partial Downloads Disappear from Downloading Files Tab

Postby chaznet » Thu May 02, 2013 7:33 pm

It started happening a couple beta versions back. If I exit Newsbin before a download is complete, even if I pause the download before exiting, the file(s) disappear from the Downloading-Files tab. Whatever has downloaded so far remains in the download folder, and I can re-add the missing parts, but, previously things would pick up where they left off if I exited Newsbin and restarted it.
chaznet
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/16/05

Re: Partial Downloads Disappear from Downloading Files Tab

Postby Quade » Thu May 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Look in the failed tab. See if they end up there. Are you using Beta 6? If you aren't, you should be.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby chaznet » Thu May 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Yes, beta 6, it just happened. Not showing up in failed files tab, just disappearing.
chaznet
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu May 02, 2013 11:29 pm

Is there a consistent way to make it happen? I'm not seeing it so, I'm looking for a sequence. You know, like maybe they were in the scratch list o something like that.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby chaznet » Fri May 03, 2013 3:38 am

The sequence is as I described, happens every time. If I exit Newsbin prior to a download completing, it doesn't resume when I re-start Newsbin. Disappears from the 'Downloading Files' tab. Happens whether or not I pause the download first. Prior to the 6.5 betas, downloads would remain and resume once I re-started Newsbin.
chaznet
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Fri May 03, 2013 8:33 am

Odds are something happened to your downloads.db3 file in the data directory, perhaps got corrupted. Once you have an empty download queue, quit newsbin and delete/rename that file and restart. Verify it gets recreated once you download some files to eliminate permission issues.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby chaznet » Sat May 04, 2013 5:19 am

Had already tried that, made no difference -- thanks though...
chaznet
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby mimauk » Sat May 04, 2013 5:33 am

I've had it happen with me as well downloading a pdf magazine. Only half the post was there (I presume it was still uploading) but there was a par2 set of files as well so downloaded them both. The main file showed 35 /75MB present so I left it in the download list and shut NB down. When I opened NB later the main file had disappeared but the par2 file was still there but not downloaded.
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/29/06

Postby DThor » Sat May 04, 2013 8:53 am

Chaznet, if you followed what I described, the download queue would be empty since that file is where those contents are stored. If you delete it while newsbin is still running, it won't work.
Unless you mean yes, it worked, but you're able to reproduce the problem with different files right away, in which case, as Quade asked, he'll need to know your precise process since he can't reproduce it. You haven't really precisely described it, you were talking in generalities. For example, every single download? If not, anything special about the problem files? "exit from newsbin" means system shutdown, hitting X or menu "quit"? You might be surprised how many people consider hitting the power button shutting down an app. For example, if something is stopping newsbin from exiting gracefully, that would cause your symptoms. Maybe my favourite culprit - antivirus - is interfering with writing to the downloads.db3 file?

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Sat May 04, 2013 11:01 am

I just started Newsbin, added a download with pars, then restarted and it was still in the download list. So, I'm not clear what's happening. How much do you have in the download, failed and wish lists?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mimauk » Sat May 04, 2013 1:24 pm

mimauk wrote:I've had it happen with me as well downloading a pdf magazine. Only half the post was there (I presume it was still uploading) but there was a par2 set of files as well so downloaded them both. The main file showed 35 /75MB present so I left it in the download list and shut NB down. When I opened NB later the main file had disappeared but the par2 file was still there but not downloaded.

Next day when I started NB and updated all the headers, the file I wanted was showing complete in the groups tab so I right clicked it and hit "download bypass filters". It went to the download tab and it carried on downloading from where it left off the previous day - the earlier part of the file was greyed out and the missing part completed with the server colours showing.

Failed list was empty -
Download list just had the main and par2 files
Wish list - don't use it as I'm not exactly sure what it is and what it is used for.
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/29/06

Postby chaznet » Sun May 05, 2013 11:28 pm

DThor wrote:[BLAH BLAH BLAH]...need to know your precise process since he can't reproduce it. You haven't really precisely described it...[BLAH BLAH BLAH]
DT

Seems pretty straightforward to me -- it doesn't sound as if you're actually reading what I've typed. It's not a debate, it's an issue with the software that didn't occur with previous versions (as I've mentioned). Is there something that I haven't already said that you're unclear about? If you're able to assist, great -- if you're here to argue, please move along to other topics --thanks.
chaznet
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon May 06, 2013 7:19 am

When you say partial downloads, do you mean files that haven't finished posting yet?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DThor » Mon May 06, 2013 7:43 am

Zero interest in arguing, just trying to get useful information. When you don't get back "I see it, thanks", that means your description is incomplete and it's not been reproduced and there's nothing to fix. Up to you.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Return to V6 Technical Support