Unable to bind Remote control Socket

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

Unable to bind Remote control Socket

Postby bananafishbones » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:39 pm

I'm getting this error when trying to connect using two iPhones. I've tried rebooting my router, setting a different port and using my public IP instead of my DDNS to no avail.

When I start NB up, I get the error (see below) every time but if I disable the remote connection in settings, the error no longer appears at startup. Any ideas?

[20:31:56] ERROR - Error: Unable to bind Remote control Socket

I'm running NB 6.42 in wine/cxoffice on Mac. This will be very similar to the Linux setup. My remote connection via iPhone is dead in the water.

Many thanks!
bananafishbones
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/16/11

Re: Unable to bind Remote control Socket

Postby Quade » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:36 am

If the remote app lets you set the port, try a high port on both ends like 50118. In Linux/Unix, you have to be superuser to bind ports below 1000.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby bananafishbones » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:31 am

I'll give it a try. I did try port 22222 and for some strange reason, one iphone worked while the other wouldn't connect. It seems the more I make changes the worse things get. I've set everything back to default.

I'll give it a go and let you know.

Cheers,
bananafishbones
n00b
n00b

Postby bananafishbones » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:39 am

So i opened a new port on my router using your suggested 50118 then made the change within NB and NB Remote and that did it! It's working like a champ.

Hopefully I won't have to continue changing port numbers often.

Thank you Quade! You're always helpful here.

Cheers!
bananafishbones
n00b
n00b

Return to Linux