Missing results trying to use Watch_Topics

Tips on writing regular expressions for searching the post list

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Missing results trying to use Watch_Topics

Postby ZippyTheHappyChimp » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:04 pm

I'm using v6.53 - Build 3311.

I've used filters forever, and am generally happy with the results, both the filter for, and filter out options. But I'm trying to automate more and am trying to move to a Watch_topic based solution (so as to use the Download Automatically option)

I've built a watch topic as follows:

Source: headers
Search For: 720p apple|pear|passion.fruit

This works, but some of the results include posts with the string "ITA" in the subject that I would like to ignore and not automatically download

To this end I've tried the following:

-ITA 720p apple|pear|passion.fruit
720p apple|pear|passion.fruit -ITA
720p apple|pear|passion.fruit (?!ITA)
(?!ITA) 720p apple|pear|passion.fruit
720p apple|pear|passion.fruit (?<!ITA)
(?<!ITA) 720p apple|pear|passion.fruit

All 6 of the "ITA excluding" attempts test as fine from the Watch Options Properties, but then they exclude *everything*, not just subjects which include the string ITA.

As an aside, I've got 45 watch filters of 1 to 5 words long, when I tried to build one long 720p blah|blah|blah...... watch_topic, it would validate the string, say it saves it, but after closing and reopening the software, the Search For line would be blank. It was only after I broke it into 5 shorter topics that they would truly save. I'd suggest either increasing the character limit for the search, or providing an error message when exceeding the limit.
ZippyTheHappyChimp
n00b
n00b

Re: Missing results trying to use Watch_Topics

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:30 pm

I'm not sure you can.

What I probably need to do is hook up the filter profiles to watches so, you can defined include and exclude filters. That would handle this.

I'll talk to Dex about it. He's better at RE's than I am.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Regular Expressions