Version 6.71 Release Candidate 1 Available...

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Version 6.71 Release Candidate 1 Available...

Postby dexter » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:33 am

Getting ready for final production release. This one fixes an issue with case sensitivity in rar passwords and the installer no longer blocks installing on Windows XP.

The download link is on the Newsbin Beta Page. Any questions, comments, or bug reports can be made by replying to this thread or by using the Technical Support Contact Form.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Version 6.71 Release Candidate 1 Available...

Postby Bismark » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:58 pm

Hang on, this may be a problem introduced by upgrading to Windows 10. All my folders were marked "Read Only" I'll be sending the bill to Microsoft. Stand by for more news, I am running tests now. (after changing security on the folders, the problem is still intermittent, each time I re-download, more get unrared.)

NB is not unraring many files, it downloads all the .RAR files into the file list tab, but then puts the to be downloaded file in the "Failed Files" tab with a status "Download failed, file retry count exceeded" If I use the quick Unrar command, it does it and the video is complete in the files tab. If I use WINRAR on the files they are extracted without error. If I use the download, bypass filters from the "failed Files" tab, a small percentage of the files retried downloaded files are properly created, but most files are returned to the "Failed Files" tab.

This is a new behavior seen only in the NB 6.71 versions, I think.

i am running the latest version of NB, 4723, but saw the problem in earlier versions. I upped the recount limit to 6 with no change. System is Windows 10.
Last edited by Bismark on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/27/10

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:47 pm

Makes me think there's something wrong with the unrar path. Do you have an unrar path set?

Everything is downloading fine so they land properly but the unrar part fails. This isn't that uncommon of a drive letter changes on an external drive for instance.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bismark » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:53 pm

I have an unrar path set in the properties of each newsgroup and it is the same as the download path. This problem is intermittent and each time I redownload the files, I get more unrared. Now that I reset security on the folders, the problem is still happening.

Also, I am getting the alarm:

[20:56:00] ERROR Server:News_Hosting NNTPServer: Failed to read text line:
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:05 am

Are you using "Kaspersky"? We've gotten a couple reports of a new update screwing up downloads.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bismark » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:08 am

Nope, not using it.

One new clue, if I just ask NB to download one of the files at a time from the failed files tab, each is properly unrared.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support