Windows 10 Anniversary Update

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Postby kirm » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:33 pm

Yesterday, the MOTD window came up informing us to check for latest build being 6.71-4766, which I am presently running. It was a new message so never even thought about it. I then updated windows 10 to v14393.10.

After updating windows I opened Newsbin and constantly getting the MOTD. It was checked under advanced settings to show at startup. (I think at this setting though it used to only show the MOTD when there was a new message, otherwise it would not show).

I am now getting the MOTD every time I start Newsbin, even after unchecking "Show MOTD on startup" under Advanced Settings. Never had an issue with this till I updated to Windows 10 Anniversary. Anyone else seeing this?

In order to repair this, I backed up my newsbin data and completely removed newsbin from system. Rebooted computer and then re-installed Newsbin. Copied all my data files back to my D: drive folder and opened newsbin with the nbi file. Just a few minor tweaks, and this finally corrected the issue.

Any ideas Quade on what may have happenned when I updated to Anniversary build?
kirm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/15/03

Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:06 pm

You likely could have fixed it by going into "Help/Register Update Key" and re-registered then restarted Newsbin. Most than likely MS boned up the existing registration.

I'm holding off on any Win10 updates for now.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby kirm » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:15 pm

Most than likely MS boned up the existing registration.

That would have been ideal, but unfortunately program was still registered.

I'm holding off on any Win10 updates for now

Being an insider for over 2 years, you are right. This anniversary release is not ready for prime time. There have been 3 accumulative updates since release 14393 on the fast ring, and that was the iso image ms used when they released it. So one installs it, and right away you do 1 more accumulative update to 14393.10.

Just sucked putting it on my main machine. Even Disk Cleanup run as administrator did not clean out the windows.old directory. Had to manually go in and change permissions in order to get rid of that folder.
kirm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:42 pm

That would have been ideal, but unfortunately program was still registered.

Newsbin didn't think so. That's why it popped the MOTD. Dex and I already solved this issue for several other people by doing exactly what I suggested you do. Try it, if it happens again.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby kirm » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Thanx Quade, will keep that one in my memory banks.
kirm
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support