Server Errors

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Server Errors

Postby ppan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:03 am

Any clue why I get these errors:

[02:54:17] ERROR Server:v_news.newshosting.com Socket error: Socket - Read From Server FailedDNS - Unable to Find Server's AddressDNS - Unable to Find ServiceDNS - Unable to Find Peer Address
[02:54:24] ERROR Server:v_news.newshosting.com Socket error: Socket - Read From Server FailedDNS - Unable to Find Server's AddressDNS - Unable to Find ServiceDNS - Unable to Find Peer Address
[02:54:33] ERROR Server:v_news.newshosting.com Socket error: Socket - Read From Server FailedDNS - Unable to Find Server's AddressDNS - Unable to Find ServiceDNS - Unable to Find Peer Address
[02:54:38] ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR: Error talking to Server in initial connection : Error: WSASend Socket Error Code: 10058 A request to send or receive data was disallowed because the socket had already been shut down in that direction with a previous shutdown call.

[02:54:45] ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR: Error talking to Server in initial connection : Error: WSASend Socket Error Code: 10058 A request to send or receive data was disallowed because the socket had already been shut down in that direction with a previous shutdown call.

[02:54:54] ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR: Error talking to Server in initial connection : Error: WSASend Socket Error Code: 10058 A request to send or receive data was disallowed because the socket had already been shut down in that direction with a previous shutdown call.

[02:55:32] ERROR Server:v_news.newshosting.com Socket error: Socket - Read From Server FailedDNS - Unable to Find Server's AddressDNS - Unable to Find ServiceDNS - Unable to Find Peer Address
[02:55:52] ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR: Error talking to Server in initial connection : Error: WSASend Socket Error Code: 10058 A request to send or receive data was disallowed because the socket had already been shut down in that direction with a previous shutdown call.

[02:56:45] ERROR Server:v_news.newshosting.com Socket error: Socket - Read From Server FailedDNS - Unable to Find Server's AddressDNS - Unable to Find ServiceDNS - Unable to Find Peer Address
[02:56:47] ERROR Server:v_news.newshosting.com Socket error: Socket - Read From Server FailedDNS - Unable to Find Server's AddressDNS - Unable to Find ServiceDNS - Unable to Find Peer Address
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/24/09

Re: Server Errors

Postby maupassant » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:17 pm

I got these too yesterday and today. Are you with NewsDemon ?
maupassant
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/04/10

Postby ppan » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Nope. Newshosting.
Here is what they had to say about it (not tried yet):
This error is generated due to an internal issue on your local network. The software attempting to initiate a connection to the server decided to abort further attempts because there is essentially a backlog (traffic jam) of information trying to leave your computer.
This can be caused by stuck or hung processes that are/were still trying to communicate with the outside world. There are many possible reasons for this since the hang-up can be anywhere in your home including your Modem, Router or Computer.
The recommended troubleshooting for this is to do the following in this order, moving on to the next suggestion up until things start working again:
• Verify that you have working internet connectivity
• Close your newsreader for 2 minutes and attempt to reconnect
• Temporarily disable ALL firewalls and attempt to reconnect
• Reboot your computer and attempt to reconnect
• Shut down your newsreader, power-cycle your Router, and then attempt to connect again.
• Shut down your newsreader, power-cycle your Modem, and attempt to connect again.
You can also try the following:
1. Run the Command prompt as administrator by right-clicking on it to get that option (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)
2. Type in the following, and then hit enter:
netsh int ip reset
3. You should get back something that says “Resetting Global, OK! Resetting Interface, OK! Restart the computer to complete this action.”
4. Close the black command prompt window and restart the computer.
This will reset all your IP settings and should allow you to connect.
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:11 pm

This error is generated due to an internal issue on your local network. The software attempting to initiate a connection to the server decided to abort further attempts because there is essentially a backlog (traffic jam) of information trying to leave your computer.

The DNS error happens because Newsbin asks windows to translate the server name to the actual address and windows says "Can't do it". Now the DNS error might be a problem on your local network. In fact it's that or your DNS server but that has nothing to do with giving up on trying to make a connection. When the DNS fails, there is no attempt to connect to the server because it can't find the server's address. No DNS = no connection attempt. It's like trying to make a phone call but not knowing the number.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ppan » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:17 pm

Quade wrote:

The DNS error happens because Newsbin asks windows to translate the server name to the actual address and windows says "Can't do it". Now the DNS error might be a problem on your local network. In fact it's that or your DNS server but that has nothing to do with giving up on trying to make a connection. When the DNS fails, there is no attempt to connect to the server because it can't find the server's address. No DNS = no connection attempt. It's like trying to make a phone call but not knowing the number.

OK. Maybe better to use the server IP address instead in this case.
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:57 pm

If they only have one server. Some servers use a server farm and have multiple IP's behind the same address.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ppan » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:12 pm

Quade wrote:

If they only have one server. Some servers use a server farm and have multiple IP's behind the same address.

When I ping the server, news.newshosting.com, I always get the same IP back: 69.16.179.28
I assume that means that there is only 1 server?
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:10 pm

C:\Users\Quade>nslookup
Default Server: pfSense.localdomain
Address: 192.168.20.1

> set q=any
> news.newshosting.com
Server: pfSense.localdomain

Non-authoritative answer:
news.newshosting.com canonical name = usa.na.news.geo.newshosting.com
> news.newshosting.com

> usa.na.news.geo.newshosting.com

usa.na.news.geo.newshosting.com canonical name = news.iad.newshosting.com
> news.iad.newshosting.com

news.iad.newshosting.com internet address = 69.16.179.29
news.iad.newshosting.com internet address = 69.16.179.28
>
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby tl » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Quade wrote:Non-authoritative answer:

The "geo" there means it's very likely it's using some kind of geo-location system to try to find the closest server. It's also very likely that it'll use that to make sure people always hits a working server. IE it'll drop the IPs for any non-working servers from the list and if all local servers are offline it'll send you to a server group further out. I should also point out that the actual IP address will tend to change over time as the provider upgrade their hardware.

So, you CAN look up the IP address and use that but it'll very likely hurt you badly sooner or later.

Using the name is the only way to get the full service, anything else means you're more likely to hit various issues. If you can't trust your ISP's DNS servers, either set up one yourself (not an option for many) or use either Google DNS or OpenDNS.
tl
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby ppan » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:59 pm

tl wrote:Using the name is the only way to get the full service, anything else means you're more likely to hit various issues. If you can't trust your ISP's DNS servers, either set up one yourself (not an option for many) or use either Google DNS or OpenDNS.

Actually, I need to know the server IP address for another issue; I am using a VPN but the speed maxes out at about 35 Mbps ( :( ).
I am therefore bypassing the VPN by adding the newshosting server IP to the routing table. I do not think that it is possible to add the server name instead.
ppan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:09 pm

You can use a netmask and add the entire Newshosting net range to the route too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby BernatWheeler » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:06 am

tl wrote:Actually, I need to know the server IP address for another issue; I am using a VPN but the speed maxes out at about 35 Mbps ( Image link not allowed for unregistered users ).
I am therefore bypassing the VPN by adding the newshosting server IP to the routing table. I do not think that it is possible to add the server name instead.

I've come across this issue with it constantly "phoning" but not knowing the number along with the elongated DNS issues. What made you decide to bypass the VPN? I've been using ExpressVPN for the last year and a bit, and not had any issues using it. Although you will want to configure it's back-end as some of the security options set as default are not ideal. Speeds tend to be close to your base ISP limit's though especially if you pick a server the is close geographically to where you are based.
For VPN Tips & Reviews vist: http://www.vpnfreaks.com/
BernatWheeler
n00b
n00b

Postby maupassant » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:21 pm

Ppan, were you able to fix this issue at your end ? I have tried everything your news provider suggested, without any effect. Even changing my DNS servers did not fix the problem. I'm now waiting for a response from Newsdemon.
maupassant
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/04/10

Postby Quade » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:51 am

How often does it happen?

If it's preventing download altogether, typically it's the security software on your PC blocking Newsbin from talking to the internet.

If it's just happening occasionally it might simply be that the DNS request is timing out because all of the net bandwidth is being used for downloading.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jameslkight69 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:19 am

Having the same issues with connecting to the server. Current using news.giganews.com.

I have no issues using Mimo, but with Newsbin Pro I cannot even connect to get groups (Newsbin is my preferred reader).

Made sure all security software was disabled and confirmed that Firewall was allowing the software through.

Tried the TELNET cmd test and it failed. Ideas? Using Windows 10
jameslkight69
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/24/14

Postby re838uk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:35 am

Error: WSASend Socket Error Code: 10058 A request to send or receive data was disallowed because the socket had already been shut down in that direction with a previous shutdown call.

Was getting this in the latest RC after using for a while without issue. Had to revert to an earlier version before it started moving again.
re838uk
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/19/09

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:27 pm

I still think it's probably security software related.

The current RC has been pretty much trouble-free so far. To the point where I think it's time for a full on release.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support