downloads not automatically assembling

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

downloads not automatically assembling

Postby confusednewb » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Apologies for not using correct nomenclature - but that's what's happening. Running Win10 on an i7, latest version of 64 bit Newsbin, and I'm downloading all the bits of a video, but then they just lay there in the download queue without ever assembling.

I've tried manually assembling - and that works. But I really liked that fact that Newsbin does that for me; it still does for some files, but not for others.

any ideas what I may have done wrong? this has just started in the last month or so - and has gotten worse as time has gone on.
confusednewb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: downloads not automatically assembling

Postby confusednewb » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:38 pm

ok, apologies - looked at the logfile - states:

ERROR AutoPAR: PAR file is Damaged, Unable to Add Parfile:

--> but, like I said, I can still run the files thru WinRAR and they assemble fine.

What do I have to change to get Newsbin to go back to doing this automatically?
confusednewb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Go under Options -> Settings and see what your retries are set to. If they are > 2 then it will take a while until Newsbin gives up trying to get more PAR2 files and performing the repair. You can watch the progress by checking the information in the Status column of the Download List. The "Retry" is the number of retries and the "N" is the amount of time until the next retry. You can also tell Newsbin to be more aggressive about repair and assembly under Options -> Settings -> AutoPAR Options. It's called "Aggressive Assembly Mode"
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Quade » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:46 am

ok, apologies - looked at the logfile - states:

ERROR AutoPAR: PAR file is Damaged, Unable to Add Parfile:

Without a PAR file, it can't tell if the files are good and bad. In any modern version like the current beta it'll run through the retries and then toss a PARless file into the failed files list.

If they're all showing bad PARS (which should be impossible), there's something wrong with your system or security software.

When you look at the download, what do the PAR block counts show?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby confusednewb » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:28 am

"....it'll run through the retries and then toss a PARless file into the failed files list."

that I could understand - these just lay in the download list forever until I decode them manually and delete them (manually.)

at work, on a different box right now - will try your other suggestions when I get home. thanks
confusednewb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support