External USB3 HDD's Need To Spin Up Before Newsbin Kick Off

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

External USB3 HDD's Need To Spin Up Before Newsbin Kick Off

Postby SplittingDistant » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:38 am

Hi,

This is so trivial I'm not even sure I should be bothering you with it!

In the dim distant past using "Assign New UnRAR path....." I set a download to unrar to a USB3 connected external HDD. And that worked fine.

But since then, newsbin will start as normal but will not actually connect to my Newsnet provider until the external HDD has spun up from standby / sleep - even though the file being downloaded is not destined for it.

It really is no biggie, just mildly annoying, so if anyone knows of a quick fix I'd be grateful.

But there's no need to spend any real time on it. Life's too short!

Many Thanks.
SplittingDistant
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/02/05

Re: External USB3 HDD's Need To Spin Up Before Newsbin Kick

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:30 am

Newsbin wouldn't reference the drive if you didn't have something in the options or the the download list that references the drive. I think you need to check the options carefully. Maybe even look inside the NBI file with Wordpad.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Moondawgie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:20 pm

The purpose for my posting to your message thread is simply to let you know that you aren't alone with the behavior you've reported.

I am experiencing the same problem with Newsbin, and many other applications including WinRAR, while running under Windows 10 Individual Preview (Currently Build 15048) on my desktop PC (ASUS P8Z77-V LE motherboard). I do not experience this problem when I replace the SDD drive with my system partition for WIndows 10 with one for WIndows 7.

I don't know if it's a bug in Windows 10, or a new feature in Windows 10 for which something needs to be modified in the applications with which I encounter this behavior. As the problem is only a minor annoyance I haven't submitted it as a problem to Microsoft.

I suspect something with the WIndows 10 Windows Explorer involving external USB drives.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby SplittingDistant » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks to Quade and Kingfish..........

Quade: I've looked at my "Options" and checked my NBI file, and I cannot see any reference to my external HDD's in either of them.

Kingfish: I'm actually on Win 7 not Win10 - I hadn't noticed it on any other application, but I will keep an eye out.

Thanks for your efforts both, but I'm happy to put this in the "Too Difficult Pile" and move on.

Regards,

SplittingDistant
SplittingDistant
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/02/05

Return to V6 Technical Support