Zero byte files are unpacked in additional folder

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Zero byte files are unpacked in additional folder

Postby Calahan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Hello,

I'm just downloading terabytes of rar sets again, because in some sets, files and folders were not created where they should, because they were unpacked with Newsbin and the path was too long for some files and/or folders. I was curious how many sets were corrupted, so I'm unpacking the rar sets with Winrar and comparing the resulting folders and files with those created by Newsbin.

I think, especially when you unpack software, it's absolutely necessary to get all files and folders unpacked complete and in their correct structure/position.
Still hoping for the option to error those sets, if the path is too long...

While comparing those sets I realized, that Newsbin isn't creating zero byte files.
It's the same as with empty folders, an unpacking software has to create all files and folders as they were packed.
You never know, why a program contains zero byte files. I think they should be created.

Using Newsbin Pro 6.72 - Build 4776 at the moment.

Update: I just compared a bit more and found out, that the zero byte files are created but in a wrong path.
Every zero byte file gets a folder with the same name and the zero byte files are created inside of them.

All the best,
Calahan
Last edited by Calahan on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calahan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/14/12

Re: Zero byte files are not unpacked from rar files

Postby Quade » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:45 am

While comparing those sets I realized, that Newsbin isn't creating zero byte files.

I'd give 6.73 a try and see if it still had problems with zero byters. I know I fixed this as some point.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Zero byte files are unpacked in additional folder

Postby Calahan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Hello Quade,

I installed 6.73RC2 and the result is the same.
Instead of creating the file abc.txt with zero bytes Newsbin is creating a folder named abc.txt and creates the file in that folder.

All the best,
Calahan
Calahan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Re: Zero byte files are unpacked in additional folder

Postby Calahan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:08 pm

If you want to make Newsbin a better program, well, try to fix it.
At the moment I have disabled automatic unrar in Newsbin, because I can't trust it anymore.
Much work to unrar all downloads "by hand", especially with the passwording today.
Newsbin is cutting off the password in {{}}, so I have to save all nzb's so I can look for the password for unpacking...

(Tried "the other program*, which is free now (Version 7), but it's buggy too. Sometimes it sits there and doesn't download needed pars,
but at least all unpacking was correct by now and what makes it useful for me, there is no 255 byte length limit with path and filename when unpacking.)
I really hoped that I get an option for the path & filename length problem, but I think I will never see this happen :(

So it seems I have again paid for the wrong program (paid for *the other program* too) and it seems I have to move on to test the next.
There must be a usenet client which is working correct when it comes to download, repairing and unpacking files and folders exactly how they were packed.

Still I have a little bit of hope that Newsbin could be the best usenet client available in the future...

All the best,
Calahan
Calahan
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support