Obfuscated files again

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Obfuscated files again

Postby sherbaal » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:53 am

Browsing lossless music groups I come across a lot of headers that are just random numbers and letters. In Newsbin, all I can see is obfuscated files listed with a .FLAC extension. If I hit Ctr+R, I see the same list. Looking at the same files in Usenext, I can see they contain .m3u, .nfo, .sfv files and all the flacs listed by the proper filename. How can I see this info in Newsbin before downloading?

Thanks.
sherbaal
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Obfuscated files again

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:39 am

PM me an example. I just need the obscured subject to find it . You can cut and past it from the display. I looked in the lossless groups in my list and they don't seem to have any obscured posts in them.

Don't post it here.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mkrubsack » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:34 am

With each group of related files, is a .JPG file. I typically d/l that and view the album cover. I just wish Newsbin had a command to view a .JPG, similiar to Read Post Body.
mkrubsack
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/25/12

Postby sherbaal » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:59 am

mkrubsack wrote:With each group of related files, is a .JPG file. I typically d/l that and view the album cover. I just wish Newsbin had a command to view a .JPG, similiar to Read Post Body.

No jpgs in any of these files but at least I could use m3u file to see the tracks.
sherbaal
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:19 am

mkrubsack wrote: I just wish Newsbin had a command to view a .JPG, similiar to Read Post Body.

You can turn on thumbnails and just download the .jpg file. Go under View -> Thumbnails to get a thumbnails tab, then the images will show up there when selected for download.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mkrubsack » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:55 pm

dexter wrote:
mkrubsack wrote: I just wish Newsbin had a command to view a .JPG, similiar to Read Post Body.

You can turn on thumbnails and just download the .jpg file. Go under View -> Thumbnails to get a thumbnails tab, then the images will show up there when selected for download.

I might be missing something on how to do this. I'n using ver 6.72 Build 4776. I go to Options, Settings, Switches, check both image modes, thumbnail count to 3. Then I download the jpg, for example cover.jpg, then go to View, Thumbnails, and nothing is there. I must be missing some configuration item.
mkrubsack
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby dexter » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:34 pm

It's a sequencing issue in your case. The Thumbnails tab needs to be available for thumbnails to be rendered. Now that the thumbnails tab is up, it should be working, give it another try.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mkrubsack » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:54 am

dexter wrote:It's a sequencing issue in your case. The Thumbnails tab needs to be available for thumbnails to be rendered. Now that the thumbnails tab is up, it should be working, give it another try.

That was it! Thanks.

At least now, I have a better hint as to what the obfuscated files are.
mkrubsack
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:25 am

Browsing lossless music groups I come across a lot of headers that are just random numbers and letters. In Newsbin, all I can see is obfuscated files listed with a .FLAC extension. If I hit Ctr+R, I see the same list. Looking at the same files in Usenext, I can see they contain .m3u, .nfo, .sfv files and all the flacs listed by the proper filename. How can I see this info in Newsbin before downloading?

Ctrl-Ring the flacs won't tell you anything. Instead you need to Ctrl-R the biggest file in the set which includes the PARS and other meta files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:18 pm

Reply to myself. I made some changes to how these files compact so, not the flacs and pars and meta files compact together. Will make it easier to Ctrl-R. Be in the next beta.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby sherbaal » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Just an update. Using the new beta now and it all looks a lot neater.

Discovered why I was having problems seeing all the files - I had forgotten I'd put a filter on the group to only show lossless music files, sorry.

All good now.

Thanks.
sherbaal
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support