stuck on pw protected posts

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

stuck on pw protected posts

Postby RayMark » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:19 am

6.80 beta 4 gets stuck on a password-protected post - it just keeps "repairing" it - the yellow indicator keeps running across again and again, and nothing else is being downloaded. It lasts for a very long time, eventually Newsbin does move onto the next post in the download list, but I watched a couple of such posts for several minutes and had no patience to wait when it happens - looked like this repairing was going on forever.

With older versions of Newsbin in such cases the pw-protected file is skipped and other files are downloaded, although periodically perhaps NewsBin returns back to the previously downloaded pw-protected files - but not for long.

As a result, files that should have been downloaded in minutes are still in the download list hours later. And NewsBin is still "repairing" the same post - untill the number of retries is exhausted?
Because, after several hours, I found maybe 30 such files downloaded, after all. Not stuck on just one. But it took many many times longer than needed.

If I pause such a posts, then Newsbin moves to the next one. And the paused "being repaired" post is ok - I checked several of them with MultiPar. All the parts are OK, and it extracts without problems.

BTW, speaking about extracting - these are files where the password = the file name I(excluding ".part01.rar" ending). Is there a way to put such a "password expression" into the password manager?
There are many such posts and I have to extract them myself, although i automated the process to a single keystroke per post.

This password expression can be narrowed down to a specific poster, i.e., the password manager could know for which posters to use it (I can pm a specific poster with many many such pw-protected posts)
Sorry if the password manager can handle such posts already but I missed it :)

In any case, what is happening with 6.80 beta 4 is very wrong - while I was typing this text here - NewsBin still did not move to the next post in the download list, it is still trying to "repair" the same one.
Still waiting. Finally! Moved to the next one after maybe 10-15 minutes of waisted time. It says "D:61 DL:0 Retry:0 N:10" - whatever that means? N10 is always, but D:61 perhaps means something.

CLARIFICATION: I just remembered - I have "Pause Download during UnRAR/Repair" on.
With it off, I guess, it would be better.
But still, it is wrong for NewsBin to waste all this effort on "repairing" correct files - an external MultiPar shows they are OK - why can't NewsBin understand that as well?
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Re: stuck on pw protected posts

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:52 am

6.80 beta 4 gets stuck on a password-protected post - it just keeps "repairing" it - the yellow indicator keeps running across again and again, and nothing else is being downloaded. It lasts for a very long time, eventually Newsbin does move onto the next post in the download list, but I watched a couple of such posts for several minutes and had no patience to wait when it happens - looked like this repairing was going on forever.

I noted it thanks. The unrar is failing so, it's trying harder to repair it. It should probably fail immediately if the unrar fails because of a lack of password.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RayMark » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:13 pm

When I switch off pausing NewsBin while repairing and unrarring -
even worse: while repeatedly "repairing" correct files, Newsbin also generates more and more stuff in the cache directory (probably for the following in the download list posts) - I now found it paused with the drive with the cache full - 0 bytes free.
Even while being paused (on a pw-protected post half-yellow in "repairing" state) it still continues to generate files in the cache directory - all of them 0 length, because there simply is no more room on the drive.

My data folder with cache is on a different drive, but with > 70 GB free space for cache - usually quite enough, but now it all was used up by this "repairing" process.
Being stuck on "repairing" the same post again and again prevents for moving files from cache to the download location for other files.

I know, when NewsBin is paused, files are still being moved from the cache to the download location, and then repaired and extracted.
But why new files are still being generated in the cache when NewsBin is paused?
It seems wrong - unless, the new files are the result of decoding / assembling together, etc.

But mostly, it is wrong to generate 0-length files in the cache if the drive is full. It only leads to 0-length files later on in the download location - yes, I've encountered such cases.
Clearly, if NewsBin pauses because its Data drive (also, the Download destination drive as well) is full, then all activities should be paused.
If the user himself pauses NewsBin, perhaps then assembling / repairing / extracting could continue as it is now. But it makes no sense to continue with anything if NewsBin ran out of free space - damaged or 0-length files are generated.

Also, if 0-length or damaged file appears in the download location, it would be great if "Retry Download" would re-download that file. As it is now, "Retry Download" does nothing. To re-download such a damaged/0-length file there are two ways:

1. To delete the post from the download list and to add it again
2. To exit NewsBin and to start it again.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby RayMark » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:30 am

Returned back to beta 2 - it handles those pw-protected posts much better - still returns back to them unnecessarily and, it seems, downloads one more unnecessary par2 file during each such return. But does not keeep trying to "repair" it again and again without downloading other posts.

But when NewsBin is automatically paused because of not enough free space (especially on the data drive) and still continues generating 0-length garbage - this error is a much older one.
When NewsBin is paused automatically, absolutely all activity should stop until the user takes care of the free space and unpauses it again.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby RayMark » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:50 am

BTW , speaking about stopping when free space on hard drive runs out - I just noticed that free space shown is off by quite a lot - much more is shown than actually is left.
It even looks like those fake decimal gigabytes are shown instead of the real ones.. I am back to beta 2 which is usable with pw-protected rars, so perhaps it is already fixed in beta 4.
If not, please fix this, because what is shown is pretty useless and misleading. And please don't call them GiB or something, just GB as it should be.
Or at least tell what line is needed in .nbi file to see real gigabytes.

Again, sorry if it is already fixed in beta 4.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:10 pm

I agree it seems a bit off. Newsbin is doing math on fields windows is returning so, it should be correct. I'll have to look at what's going on.

Fixed the whole "encrypted not failing after failed unrar" thing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RayMark » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 pm

OK, thanks.
Tested with both complete posts and also with posts requiring repairing. Works perfectly in both cases. Not a single unnecessary par2 block was downloaded. So much faster than even with beta 2, let alone beta 4.
Not sure about moving the posts to the failed list, but perhaps - really failed ones have something in the error column. If the error column is empty, I assume, those are fine, only not extracted because pw-protected.

I am not sure if it would be a good idea to implement support for extracting such posts: the password is always the same as the name of the rar file itself, so if the file is some_file.part01.rar, the password is 'some_file'
If this is supported, perhaps it would cause dmca takedowns of those posts and eventually the password would be changed to a less obvious one. So all the work might be for nothing.
On the other hand, perhaps the password manager could accept some regular expression type passwords allowing to enter such or similar passwords - it would be great.

I think I need to report the not really working out-of-space emergency pause problem separately.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:40 pm

I am not sure if it would be a good idea to implement support for extracting such posts: the password is always the same as the name of the rar file itself, so if the file is some_file.part01.rar, the password is 'some_file'
If this is supported, perhaps it would cause dmca takedowns of those posts and eventually the password would be changed to a less obvious one. So all the work might be for nothing.

PM me a specific example to try. If it's an NZB, you can email the NZB to ts@newsbin.com.

Some of the german posting groups embed the password in the NZB Filename. Newsbin extracts those.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RayMark » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Thank you very much for beta 6!

It extracts those password-protected rars perfectly.
I have so many of them already downloaded and it takes so long to extract them that I am almost inclined to download them again instead :)
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support