Newsbin won't finish downloads

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin won't finish downloads

Postby timberflake » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:59 am

Hi all,

I've had a strange problem with Newsbin for a while now, it won't finish any downloads I start, it always gets about 99% of the way through and then stops. For example, I tried one today that was 15.13GB, it got to 14.39GB and then stopped.

At first I thought it was a problem with what I was downloading, but it's happened on everything I've tried over the past month or so, probably upwards of 30 files. Can anyone point me in the right direction to track down the problem?

Thanks
timberflake
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/07/06

Re: Newsbin won't finish downloads

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:27 am

I'd run the latest beta. The one posted here then get back to me if it isn't better.

If you're using an older intel or AMD machine, you might want to try deleting the par repair DLL in the Newsbin install folder and see if that helps. It'll fall back to the single core repair engine without the DLL. You probably have to exit Newsbin before you delete.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby timberflake » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:44 am

Quade wrote:I'd run the latest beta. The one posted here then get back to me if it isn't better.

If you're using an older intel or AMD machine, you might want to try deleting the par repair DLL in the Newsbin install folder and see if that helps. It'll fall back to the single core repair engine without the DLL. You probably have to exit Newsbin before you delete.

Thanks for the quick response.

I downloaded V6.8 and it didn't make any difference. However, I did see that the last 6-8 file parts were paused, so when I resumed them it finished the download and has now downloaded 15.13GB/15.13GB. However, there's nothing showing in the download path?
timberflake
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:14 am

Do you have PAR files? PM me an example of what you're downloading. If you have an NZB, you can send it to ts@newsbin.com. Don't post this information here.

It sounds almost like there's something wrong with the download path so Newsbin is downloading all the chunks of the file but can't assemble them into the final files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby timberflake » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:09 am

Quade wrote:Do you have PAR files? PM me an example of what you're downloading. If you have an NZB, you can send it to ts@newsbin.com. Don't post this information here.

It sounds almost like there's something wrong with the download path so Newsbin is downloading all the chunks of the file but can't assemble them into the final files.

I think I fixed the main issue, WinRar wasn't working properly so had to re-install, it was downloading all the data but couldn't unrar it.

The other problem I've got though is that the last 6-10 file parts are always showing as 'Paused' and you have to manually select 'Resume Download' which can be quite annoying, is there anyway to fix this?
timberflake
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 am

Quade wrote:I think I fixed the main issue, WinRar wasn't working properly so had to re-install, it was downloading all the data but couldn't unrar it.

Do you unrar manually? Winrar is not used by Newsbin as it has it's own built-in unrar code.

The other problem I've got though is that the last 6-10 file parts are always showing as 'Paused' and you have to manually select 'Resume Download' which can be quite annoying, is there anyway to fix this?

Are you sure those are not PAR files? They are the only ones that should be paused while the main files get downloaded,
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Return to V6 Technical Support