Resuming an incomplete download not working?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Resuming an incomplete download not working?

Postby depredador » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:26 am

I often start a download but never get enough time to finish it by the end of the day because of the file size and my slow internet connection.

So what I do is remove the file from the download list but I would click on no when it asked if I wanted to delete partial downloads.

The next day I would then load the same NZB again and tell it download to an existing folder where it would basically pick up from where I had finished off the day before because the partial downloads where still in that folder. And yes I could see them.

Now when I try to do that it starts all over again and ignores the previously downloaded files that are sitting there.

I have no idea why this suddenly started as I haven't changed any settings and I'm using Newsbin Pro 6.72 build 4776. I tried the latest 6.73 beta to see if that would fix it and that didn't help at all. Newsbin also doesn't come up with any error messages.

Can I get some hep as to what's suddenly going wrong as this is a real pain with my slow internet connection.

Cheers
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/25/08

Re: Resuming an incomplete download not working?

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:48 am

What happens if you simply exit Newsbin then restart it? It should just resume when you restart

Do the re-downloads result in a "copy(X)..." type filename for the new downloads?

Keep in mind that on restart it downloads the first chunk of the file in order to verify the existing files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby depredador » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:30 pm

I'll try that later and see.
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby depredador » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:17 am

That didn't work when I restarted my PC the next day and gave it ago. I remember the only thing I recently changed was ticking the box in the "show age and not date" box in the advanced settings.

So now when I try and start again it goes to failed files because of the duplicate checker. That never used to happen either as it would just pick up from where I left off from the day before.
Any more ideas as to why it suddenly stopped working like it used to do?
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:07 am

Give the new 6.73RC1 a try.

Honestly this is symptoms of an older version.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby depredador » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:51 am

Quade wrote:Give the new 6.73RC1 a try.

Honestly this is symptoms of an older version.

I mentioned in my first post that I already tried that. Today I completely uninstalled Newsbin Pro with Revo Uninstaller Pro and then reinstalled it again and it's still happening.

I have no idea why it suddenly started after years of use and now I can't seem to fix it.
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby depredador » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:58 am

Still can't get it to work. The only difference now is when I restart the computer and then restart NB and load the NZB and download it to the folder the saved files are in it goes to failed files because of duplicate detection.

If I try ctrl + Y that doesn't help as it just starts from the beginning again. This seems similar to what I suddenly started experiencing and also doesn't have a solution https://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=38637
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby depredador » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:43 am

Is there any soloution to this problem seeing it never used to exist? It's been over a month since I first mentioned it here.

On a slow internet connection it is a BIG inconvenience.
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby depredador » Tue May 09, 2017 5:25 am

Keep trying to fix this but they get picked up buy the duplicate detector every time and it goes to failed files.

Surely there must be some setting somewhere that's causing this seeing it previously worked perfectly for years. I even reinstalled Windows and that didn't help.
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue May 09, 2017 9:10 am

The only difference now is when I restart the computer and then restart NB and load the NZB and download it to the folder the saved files are in it goes to failed files because of duplicate detection.

You make it sound like it's already left the download list. I assume a partial download is still in the download list, then you restart and it's still in the download list after the restart. The fact it's already in the duplicate detector suggests if already downloaded.

If you do something like sample first, you'll have to Ctrl-Y when you add it again to really download (to bypass the duplicate detector). Or you can simply disable the duplicate detector.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby depredador » Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 pm

Quade wrote:
The only difference now is when I restart the computer and then restart NB and load the NZB and download it to the folder the saved files are in it goes to failed files because of duplicate detection.

You make it sound like it's already left the download list. I assume a partial download is still in the download list, then you restart and it's still in the download list after the restart. The fact it's already in the duplicate detector suggests if already downloaded.

If you do something like sample first, you'll have to Ctrl-Y when you add it again to really download (to bypass the duplicate detector). Or you can simply disable the duplicate detector.

Only part of it has been downloaded. What it used to do when I restarted was pick up from where it left off but now it won't do that and gets picked up by the duplicate detector and goes to failed files.

If I turn off the duplicate detector it starts from the beginning again and doesn't start from where it had left off.

This is what my settings are in Advanced.

depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby PoiSonPeZ » Thu May 18, 2017 10:16 pm

I am a long time user of Newsbin Pro.

Not sure what version this resuming problem started. Maybe 4.73, but I am currently using 6.80B2. I have never had to mess with the settings in the past.

I use to be able to close Newsbin in the middle of a download and then it would resume when I started it up later. Now, when
I restart Newsbin, the existing download goes directly into Failed Files (duplicate detected). I have to right click on it and select Download - Bypass filters. But this does not resume the download, it starts from the beginning and creates duplicates.

Really annoying problem. My OS is Windows 10 Pro Creators Edition.
PoiSonPeZ
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/31/10

Postby depredador » Tue May 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Is anyone ever going to be able to help me out with this?

One thing I did notice recently is the problem doesn't occur when they are .rar files. It only occurs with yEnc files that it will not resume from where it left off and get picked up by the duplicate detector.

I don't know if that is any help but I have been asking for a solution for months now and not getting anywhere.
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed May 24, 2017 8:18 am

One thing I did notice recently is the problem doesn't occur when they are .rar files. It only occurs with yEnc files that it will not resume from where it left off and get picked up by the duplicate detector.

How fast is the download? Does it look like files are stacking up in the download list waiting for the files to assemble? Does it resume properly if you disable the duplicate detector?

The fact it doesn't happen with rars but does trigger the dup detector suggests that downloads have gotten stacked up behind assembly of the files and when you restart, the signature cache has already been fed. That's very possible and would explain why I couldn't reproduce this before.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby depredador » Thu May 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Quade wrote:

How fast is the download? Does it look like files are stacking up in the download list waiting for the files to assemble? Does it resume properly if you disable the duplicate detector?

The fact it doesn't happen with rars but does trigger the dup detector suggests that downloads have gotten stacked up behind assembly of the files and when you restart, the signature cache has already been fed. That's very possible and would explain why I couldn't reproduce this before.

My download speed is not fast. Newsbin Pro says 7.3 Mbps/911 KBps

I'm not sure what you mean by "stacking up in the download list"

If I disable the duplicate detector it will start from the beginning again and doesn't resume from where it left off.

I have no idea what "stacked up behind assembly of the files" means and I don't know what the signature cache is.

All I know is it used to work and then one day it didn't and I never changed a thing.

What should the settings in Filename Options be?

This is what they currently are

depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby depredador » Thu May 25, 2017 10:18 pm

PoiSonPeZ wrote:I am a long time user of Newsbin Pro.

Not sure what version this resuming problem started. Maybe 4.73, but I am currently using 6.80B2. I have never had to mess with the settings in the past.

I use to be able to close Newsbin in the middle of a download and then it would resume when I started it up later. Now, when
I restart Newsbin, the existing download goes directly into Failed Files (duplicate detected). I have to right click on it and select Download - Bypass filters. But this does not resume the download, it starts from the beginning and creates duplicates.

Really annoying problem. My OS is Windows 10 Pro Creators Edition.

Exactly the same problem I'm having.
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby depredador » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:31 pm

5 months later and still no solution?
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:36 pm

I was just looking at this again.

I confirmed that turning off the dup detector allows it to continue downloading. It doesn't start from scratch either but resumes where it left off. I tested with a set of RARS and a set of FLACs, neither one re-downloaded the files it had already downloaded.

So, from my perspective this isn't a resume problem but a duplicate detector issue which can be worked around.

A solution I'm looking at is to feed the duplicate detector when the files are removed from the download list instead of during download.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby depredador » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Quade wrote:I was just looking at this again.

I confirmed that turning off the dup detector allows it to continue downloading. It doesn't start from scratch either but resumes where it left off. I tested with a set of RARS and a set of FLACs, neither one re-downloaded the files it had already downloaded.

I tried this yesterday and it started from scratch. It only does it for obfuscated rar files. All BluRay nzb's have these files as opposed to TV nzb's which have normal .rar files . It will resume from where it left off if they are rar files but not these other ones.

So if duplicate detector is on it won't work as the duplicate detector fails it and if duplicate detector is off it starts all over again.
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:12 am

I tried this yesterday and it started from scratch. It only does it for files ending with yEnc. It will resume from where it left off if they are rar files.

yEnc is just the encoding format. Most files posted to usenet are "yEnc" encoded.

Want to PM me a specific example of a file or files that won't resume? When Newsbin Resumes it looks like a download, the blocks just fill in but they're filling in from the chunks folder.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby depredador » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:36 am

Too big for a pm it says. Could email it.
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby depredador » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Did you get my email?
depredador
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support