Watchlists: Header Search VS Internet Search

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Watchlists: Header Search VS Internet Search

Postby Savage Dragon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:29 am

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't seem to turn anything useful up in a search.

Over the last year or so that that I have been using watchlists I have noticed some of my watches don't seem to find everything they should. I have all my watchlist items set to search header downloads but a few of them don't always seem to find all the posts I am looking for because when I use the same search string in an Internet search it turns up more items. I have my headers set to update every 15 minutes so I don't think that's the issue.

I have tried deleting the problematic watches and recreating them using the settings from watches that I know are good but it never fixes the problem. I am stumped. Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
Savage Dragon
n00b
n00b

Re: Watchlists: Header Search VS Internet Search

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:26 am

1 - I'd compare the groups in your group list to the groups returned when you use Search. See if perhaps you need to be using more groups.

2 - Keep in mind that Search will probe obscure file sets and rename some of them to meaningful names. If that's what you're seeing

<meaningful text> Obscure subject

If what you're seeing in search that's missing from headers looks like this, then that's just a feature of the search engine. Dex and I are working on improving the probing too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support