European server?

Help each other out if there is not a specific forum here for your news service. Discussion of news servers known to have problems, troubleshooting news server problems, other news service related issues.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

European server?

Postby BZee » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:43 am

Is there a high retention European provider that allows connections from the United States? I'm not referring to providers like Newsdemon or Astraweb that have both European and U.S. servers.
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Re: European server?

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby BZee » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:13 am

Eweka Number One European Service. Excellent choice for a fill server.
NOTE: Eweka accounts can only be purchased from non-US IP's
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:45 am

NOTE: Eweka accounts can only be purchased from non-US IP's

Yeah you have to use a VPN to look like you're not from the US.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby BZee » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:29 am

I thought about that - maybe pay via Paypal.
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby BZee » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:00 am

Have any of you out there done this? Any problem or tips?
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:38 am

I have reports from several people who have done this from the US that they are having no issues. You only need to use a VPN to sign up. Once you have your login info, you can connect normally.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BZee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:40 am

dexter wrote:I have reports from several people who have done this from the US that they are having no issues. You only need to use a VPN to sign up. Once you have your login info, you can connect normally.

Good to know. I thought I'd have to keep using the same VPN setting every time I wanted to connect.
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Modoc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:51 am

Has anyone tried setting up a eweka account from a US IP address? I have seen it posted on a number of sites that the set up needs to be from a non US IP. I emailed them and they said you can set up a account with a US IP address.

This is a copy of the mail they sent me. I would just like to know if anyone has set up a account with a US IP and if the service is the same?

Dear customer,

Thank you for your request.

We tend to inform you, that you are able to register for our services if you are from the US (or US IP address).

The IP/User connected to the platform, at what time and possible connection errors are stored for about one week for support purposes.

Regarding the downloads we only log the connection data and not what is downloaded by a certain user. For posting we log what message-IDs were posted by which IP/User at what time.

Thank you for using our service!

Best regards,
Modoc
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/26/10

Postby dexter » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:06 am

It used to be the case that you couldn't get to the payment screen from a US IP. Maybe they've changed this policy. Have you tried yourself?
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Modoc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:58 am

dexter wrote:It used to be the case that you couldn't get to the payment screen from a US IP. Maybe they've changed this policy. Have you tried yourself?

No not yet. Was not sure what was going on so I though I would ask before I tried. I closed my Astraweb account. So I am looking for a new server. If I try from my IP I will post to let people know how it works. I can just use the free 500mb tunnelbear account if need be. And thanks for the reply.
Modoc
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Modoc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:35 pm

dexter wrote:It used to be the case that you couldn't get to the payment screen from a US IP. Maybe they've changed this policy. Have you tried yourself?

OK I was able to set up a account from a US IP address. And I think I may know what the problem is. After you set your password. You can not click on the payment type. You have to click outside the menus then you can click on payment types and it works fine. But if you only click on the payment type it looks like you can not do anything. At least that's my thinking on that.

A number of things I did not like. They send you a email with what server to use. It does not list a SSL server. I had to find the address and settings in the FAQ area. From what I was thinking it sounded like they have different addresses and they till you what server to use. And even though I have English selected some of the pages where in Dutch. That put me off a little as I was trying to pay at the time. But some of that may be a paypal thing.

And they do not seem to like hard passwords. I set my password and it would not let me use it. I had to reset the password. The new password is only 6 chr's long. I tend to like long 20+ passwords with strange characters. I am going to do some looking into that.

One strange thing and I see where they are going with it and its a nice ideal. When you are looking at how to set things up in Newsclient Examples it has your info in it. Your username and how long the password is that's * out.

So I did some test. I am getting a good speed I only have a 60mbs connection and I was seeing a little latency but not bad and I was getting the full speed I was getting with Astraweb. So I decided to do a test. I have a newsgroup I have never deleted the old headers for. I was pulling some old post from Astraweb about 3000 days old. Getting a lot of missing parts. So with Eweka I decided to pull in post. At 3295 days old I pulled in about 1000 files and got no error’s or missing parts. I have not updated the headers for that area yet. But that impresses me. So me being me I have to do some testing. I am going to pull in a full list of headers for that area I was getting the missing parts from to see if they have the full post.
Modoc
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:05 pm

Cool, thanks for the report.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to News Servers