Usenet Search returning x-posts of files from other groups

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Usenet Search returning x-posts of files from other groups

Postby EvanVanVan2 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:01 pm

The topic isn't the best description, but recently I've noticed Usenet Search returns a release I'm looking for, but...the the "main" file will be a cross-post to a different newsgroup than it was originally posted to (and different from the group that the rest of the "additional" files are posted to.)

I.e. The Usenet Search will return the main-movie.rar(s) - 8.97 GB posted to a.b.misc, but also return the original posts for the main-movie.par2, -sample.par2, -subs.par2, -proof.par2 files on a.b.moovee. - I did just noticed that it's only returning the par2 files for the additional files, and not the files themselves...

I'm guessing this is an issue with obscurification? I don't know if there's anyway to fix it...I can provide search examples and the original nzbs if needed

Thank you
EvanVanVan2
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/12/10

Re: Usenet Search returning x-posts of files from other grou

Postby dexter » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:26 pm

EvanVanVan2 wrote:I'm guessing this is an issue with obscurification?

Ha, yeah, nice new word.

Our search engine makes an effort to figure out real filenames from meta data for obfuscated posts and these happen to be showing up in a.b.moovee for you. Unfortunately the associated rar files are totally randomized so the only way to download the content (that we know of) is if you have access to the source .nzb file that can only be created by the poster.

If you don't want to see these other matches show up, you can focus your searching on specific groups. Either type the group name into the "Search in Groups" field or create a group folder containing a list of groups you want to search in and choose that folder name in the "Search in Groups" dropdown.

Quade and I are looking into some solution to this but it is not going to be a quick fix. Probably on the order of months. We are aware and we are working on it.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Usenet Search returning x-posts of files from other grou

Postby EvanVanVan2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:03 am

dexter wrote:Ha, yeah, nice new word.

Lol I thought that it might still be misspelled, but rather than googling it like I usually do I noticed/enabled Chrome's new "Ask Google for suggestions" feature and that's what it came back with lol, I guess I was way off.

I like Usenet Search because it saves me from the hassle of downloading and deleting NZBs constantly, but yeah it's simple enough to work around...just didn't know if there was something that could be done...thanks for the info!

And part of what's interesting about it is that the additional, main-movie.par2, -sample.par2, -subs.par2, -proof.par2 files are also obfuscated but it decrypts those (at least shows the file names inside "<" + ">")..Although maybe that's a clear text subject?
EvanVanVan2
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/12/10

Return to V6 Technical Support