par2 names amended

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

par2 names amended

Postby cheeba777 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:44 pm

hi, my par2 files names are being renamed (amended). From 170807_04.par2 (as shown in the download list) to 170807_04.E23D43BE.par2 (file name after download). The par2's still work but this can become a problem with some long file names.

thanks for the help

edit: adding one more issue I am having: since updating my newsbin from version 5.?? to the latest version, the folder where my nzbs are saved has changed from C:\Users\m\AppData\Local\Temp\NZBS to C:\Users\m\AppData\Local\Temp. Is there a way I can change the download path back to the NZBS subfolder?
cheeba777
n00b
n00b

Re: par2 names amended

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:58 pm

The current beta allows very long filenames and doesn't append the parid to the PAR files.

The issue appending the PARid solves is in some groups every set of files was posted with exactly the same names so, the PAR filenames could collide.

I'd like to avoid appending the parid in the future but it really depends on the state of the groups.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby cheeba777 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:54 am

the long file name issue I have is with Windows 8.1. If names are too long I some times have to shorten folder names in order to move the files or even check properties. I'll try the beta to see what happens.
Tested with beta. Par2s are no longer having their names amended, which i prefer. This latest beta works best with unobscured posts. For obscured posts it is a problem though the obscured par2s in a set are usually all named differently and when trying to do a repair the par2s work but do not recognize one another. Although, if you have lets say a single par2 file from a set, even if they are all named differently, can still work on its own; so a single par2 file like 7d870b69ca.vol063+64.par2 could repair a rar set with up to 64 missing blocks (I am speaking to my fellow noobs here obviously). Renaming the obscured differently named par2s is only really necessary if you need more repair blocks than your single largest obscured par2 file has. all the par2 files will need to be renamed one by one in order to get them to work as a set.

hoping that the obscured par2s in newsbin can be auto renamed like I have seen elsewhere to all have the same prefix so they all work as a set. the only downside to the way I have seen that renaming done is that it loses the volxx+xx block size and replace the names with a basic number system like:

da4314ce25c3e223a8501c16774b93e3.vol001+01.PAR2 546 kb
da4314ce25c3e223a8501c16774b93e3.vol002+01.PAR2 1056 kb
da4314ce25c3e223a8501c16774b93e3.vol003+01.PAR2 59 kb

as opposed to how it is now looking like:

300fd5b31c05824357cddb09fb9a14664ab3ea0a.par2 59 kb
b2e3fada8054361f1079c3ac399f33f.vol000+01.par2 546 kb
23895t38hvfuy908we94ba166a3aa.vol001+02.par2 1056kb
cheeba777
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:05 am

Tested with beta. Par2s are no longer having their names amended, which i prefer. This latest beta works best with unobscured posts. For obscured posts it is a problem though the obscured par2s in a set are usually all named differently and when trying to do a repair the par2s work but do not recognize one another. Although, if you have lets say a single par2 file from a set, even if they are all named differently, can still work on its own; so a single par2 file like 7d870b69ca.vol063+64.par2 could repair a rar set with up to 64 missing blocks (I am speaking to my fellow noobs here obviously).

This is actually something I've fixed already which will be in the next beta. As long as you get a single good PAR download before the obscure files, it works fine. If you don't the files that downloaded before the PAR, if they're damaged, won't get counted when it's time to repair. Basically Newsbin has to work properly no matter the PAR order and in this case, it wasn't working with damaged obscured files if the PAR didn't come first.

Newsbin knows what set a PAR belongs too because of internal information in the PAR so, the actual filename of the PAR doesn't matter much.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby cheeba777 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Quade wrote:Newsbin knows what set a PAR belongs too because of internal information in the PAR so, the actual filename of the PAR doesn't matter much.

I am guessing that you are referring to a post process thing that Newsbin can do imediately after the download finishes. I prefer to store my files in the archived state (rars and pars) so I always do the unraring manually when I need the file. I prefer to keep it this way so if I have any file corruption or file loss during transfers I can possibly repair the rar set rather than having a single corrupted large unrared file with no repair options.

Also can you advise me about my other question in the first post of mine in this thread about directing nzbs to a particular folder. I like to save my nzbs in case of hard drive failure it makes it easier to find and replace files. With the earlier vesion 5 of Newsbin that I had been using it allowed me to do this and the nzbs were not automagically deleted as I just found all my recent nzbs since switching over to version 6 have disappeared today Image link not allowed for unregistered users

thanks for your great program by the way. totally maxes my connection.
cheeba777
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 pm

I am guessing that you are referring to a post process thing that Newsbin can do imediately after the download finishes. I prefer to store my files in the archived state (rars and pars) so I always do the unraring manually when I need the file. I prefer to keep it this way so if I have any file corruption or file loss during transfers I can possibly repair the rar set rather than having a single corrupted large unrared file with no repair options.

I'm not sure what you're asking or stating here then. You can tell newsbin to repair, but not unrar in the autopar options. You can also tell it not to delete the rars and pars. The only issue is that you won't get all the PARs. You'll get just enough PARS to repair the currently damaged rars. If they're not damaged, you might only get the smallest. You can tell Newsbin not to pause the PARS but I'm not sure that'll get you all of them. You can run Newsbin however you want but if you want the RARS to be renamed to their real filenames (assumed they're posted in a way that permits it) you need to enable autopar.

Also can you advise me about my other question in the first post of mine in this thread about directing nzbs to a particular folder. I like to save my nzbs in case of hard drive failure it makes it easier to find and replace files. With the earlier vesion 5 of Newsbin that I had been using it allowed me to do this and the nzbs were not automagically deleted as I just found all my recent nzbs since switching over to version 6 have disappeared today :(

How are you feeding the NZB's to Newsbin?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby cheeba777 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:11 pm

Quade wrote:I'm not sure what you're asking or stating here then.

My problem is that downloading obscured posts par2s which are named differently are not being renamed with the same prefix, so after downloading the par2s do not work together as a set, and to make them work together requires manually renaming each par2 file. I have tried the same obscured posts with another popular news program and the differently named par2s are renamed automatically, all with the same prefix

Quade wrote:How are you feeding the NZB's to Newsbin?

go to site like NZBIndex.
click download nzb link for wanted show (rar/par set)
windows 8.1 opens "you have chosen to open" dialog box with options to save nzb to download folder or "Open with" option and select Newsbin Pro.

if I choose "save file" the nzb is saved to my firefox download folder. and I then have to navigate to download folder and either double click nzb to open or drag and drop nzb to newsbin pro window

if I choose "open with" newsbin pro, the nzb goes to my Local/Temp folder. but these files are being automatically deleted by either time, closing program or ccleaner ...not sure which. In version 5 of newsbin pro I created a folder within the local/temp folder called nzbs and all my nzbs were being sent and stored there and were never deleted.
cheeba777
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:01 am

My problem is that downloading obscured posts par2s which are named differently are not being renamed with the same prefix, so after downloading the par2s do not work together as a set, and to make them work together requires manually renaming each par2 file. I have tried the same obscured posts with another popular news program and the differently named par2s are renamed automatically, all with the same prefix

Newsbin doesn't care what the PAR filenames are so it makes no effort to rename them. It doesn't use quickpar or anything external for repair so, it's not dependent on the filenames. If you disable autopar, Newsbin runs in RAW mode. It downloads the files and does nothing with them. If you leave autopar on, Newsbin will rename the obscured files as long as they actually have a real name in the PAR file.

.not sure which. In version 5 of newsbin pro I created a folder within the local/temp folder called nzbs and all my nzbs were being sent and stored there and were never deleted.

If you download then double-click, Newsbin just reads the NZB and doesn't manage any other aspect of it. If you want to save anything, don't save it in the Newsbin data folder because the data folder is self cleaning. You might be better off just leaving the NZB's in the FFox download folder. If you make an "NZB Autoload folder (again NOT inside the Newsbin data folder) you can just save NZB's to this folder for Newsbin to pick up. Newsbin makes no effort to manage or save your NZB's. So, if you want to keep them, you might want to manage the backup manually. Save to one folder, copy to the NZB Autoload folder for example.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support