Recent trouble downloading TV shows

Help each other out if there is not a specific forum here for your news service. Discussion of news servers known to have problems, troubleshooting news server problems, other news service related issues.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Recent trouble downloading TV shows

Postby waterboy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:54 pm

I've long used usenet to download recent TV shows. I've been satisfied with this for years. There have been occasional rough times, but usually okay.

The last few weeks have been very rough.

Has something happened?
waterboy
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: Recent trouble downloading TV shows

Postby dexter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Sometimes people just stop posting. But more and more posters are obfuscating their post subjects so they are harder to find. Not sure which explains why the stuff you are looking for isn't showing up but we are working on a way to ID the obfuscated posts so we can show them in search results. We'll make some announcement when it is in place.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby etete » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:23 pm

dexter wrote:...we are working on a way to ID the obfuscated posts so we can show them in search results. We'll make some announcement when it is in place.

That ability, while greatly welcomed, I expect will also be an emotional roller-coaster. I'll be excited to find the obscured title but quite sure that more oft than not it'll be PW protected. After the latest Deutschland heavy-hand usenet is now littered with unusable postings (obfuscated & PWP).
etete
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Our search engine can ID password protected files and you can tell Newsbin not to display them. By default Newsbin will fail a password protected download if the password isn't in the password list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby etete » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Quade wrote:Our search engine can ID password protected files and you can tell Newsbin not to display them. By default Newsbin will fail a password protected download if the password isn't in the password list.

Yes, and that is absolutely a fabulous feature. I'm sure it's saved me uncountable TBs of traffic and wasted time over the many years I've enjoyed being a customer of NBP with integrated search. (envision a wink emo here. Unable to insert as I'm tagged unregistered(?))
etete
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quah » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:09 pm

I've noticed similar problems as you've described. I'm not sure the mechanism that generates NZB's, so I might be totally off on this assumption, so here goes.
When this problem started me in the last month, I started searching for NBZs from indexers. What I found was that Ginga and NZB planet showed the posts, but they had a "pre" tacked on to the end. Ginga allows 3 downloads a day free, and planet 5, but planet does not allow you to download the "pre" files.
My assumption is that whatever generates the NZB files is now making "pre" files that are not forwarded to the rest of the usenet world, making it easy for the indexers to restrict non-paying customers.
Quah
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/10/09

Return to News Servers