to big irritating issues with Newsbin

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

to big irritating issues with Newsbin

Postby LLynchh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Hallo
I have been using Newsbin for many years now. I have to big irritating problems over the years with Newsbin.

1. In the File list. if i have long file list, every time there is downloaded a new split/file, the File is comming in at the Top of the File list but the List moves down to the bottom, very irritating when there comes a new split/file every 10 second, and I at the Same time try to select another file.

2. When - for some reason - my harddisk is full and at the Same time i download files with Newsbin, Newsbin put all the Split files in the File list in a long list with zero spilt files in download size, i try to pause the Download but Newsbin overrulles the pause an start downloading zero split files again

It have been so for as long i can remember

thanks in advance
LLynchh
LLynchh
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/15/02

Re: to big irritating issues with Newsbin

Postby Quade » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:40 pm

what version are you currently using?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby LLynchh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:28 am

Newsbin b680B9, but it have been so since for ever or at least all versions of newsbin 6
LLynchh
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby LLynchh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:42 am

Right now for example my harddisk where Newsbin donwloads Files is full and then newsbin continues to pop up with a "low disk space" box, everytime i hit x in the box it just comes back, i want newsbin to stop downloading and let me go in to newsbin and deside to stop downloading some files or delete some files from the files list.
LLynchh
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:36 am

When the box is popped up, Newsbin will pause the download. At that point you just need to alt-tab away to delete files. A secret is that recycle bin will often run you out of disk space. If you tell Newsbin to use the recycle bin when it's cleaning up, you won't get your disk space back after the RARS are deleted.

When the disk free space window pops up, it's a critical error. Once you free some disk space, the popup windows will close automatically. You really should try to stop running out of disk space before it happens. If you want, I can tell you how to set a couple gig disk free space limit.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby itimpi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:06 am

Quade wrote:When the disk free space window pops up, it's a critical error. Once you free some disk space, the popup windows will close automatically. You really should try to stop running out of disk space before it happens. If you want, I can tell you how to set a couple gig disk free space limit.

Since it seems to come up with some frequency, maybe the free space setting needs to be exposed as something that can be set via the GUI under Options?
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:40 am

Since it seems to come up with some frequency, maybe the free space setting needs to be exposed as something that can be set via the GUI under Options?

In my heart, I feel this is a user issue. No different than running your car out of gas. It shows how much free space is available, and stops the download in emergencies but ideally, people shouldn't be running out of disk space. I don't think the real problem is the threshold where the error window pops up. I think the real problem is people try to close it and allow it to continue downloading before they clear more disk space.

That doesn't mean that I shouldn't expose the setting I guess. I'll note the idea.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby itimpi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:48 am

Although I agree running out of space is a bad idea, exposing the setting might make people more likely to run with a value that means they get prompted earlier before there are annoying side-effects. Also if the setting is exposed so it is easier to change you might consider making the default larger than the current value.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Making the default larger is a good idea too. Currently it defaults to 250 megs which is plenty if your connection speed is 100 Mbps but too small if it's faster. Maybe it should default to 1G.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby LLynchh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Quade wrote:When the box is popped up, Newsbin will pause the download. At that point you just need to alt-tab away to delete files. A secret is that recycle bin will often run you out of disk space. If you tell Newsbin to use the recycle bin when it's cleaning up, you won't get your disk space back after the RARS are deleted.

When the disk free space window pops up, it's a critical error. Once you free some disk space, the popup windows will close automatically. You really should try to stop running out of disk space before it happens. If you want, I can tell you how to set a couple gig disk free space limit.

Hey Quade
You are missing my point, i will like to do the "cleaning" inside off newsbin. I already set newsbin to delete rar files.

my biggest problem is still my first question
LLynchh wrote:1. In the File list. if i have long file list, every time there is downloaded a new split/file, the File is comming in at the Top of the File list but the List moves down to the bottom, very irritating when there comes a new split/file every 10 second, and I at the Same time try to select another file.
LLynchh
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:48 pm

You are missing my point, i will like to do the "cleaning" inside off newsbin. I already set newsbin to delete rar files.

You can do that before you run out of disk space. Once you run out it's kinda too late. Are you deleting to recycle bin? If so, then deleting in Newsbin probably won't free up any real disk space because a delete with recycle bin just moves the files instead of deleting them.

As for the order the files enter the files list. I feel your pain. The issue is people finding the files they download if they're just being appended to the bottom of a long list, they might not even know they're there. I can think about it. Dropping them to the bottom of the list makes sense but it's a behavior change that many people won't like so, I have to give it some thought.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby LLynchh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Quade wrote:

You can do that before you run out of disk space. Once you run out it's kinda too late. Are you deleting to recycle bin? If so, then deleting in Newsbin probably won't free up any real disk space because a delete with recycle bin just moves the files instead of deleting them.

As for the order the files enter the files list. I feel your pain. The issue is people finding the files they download if they're just being appended to the bottom of a long list, they might not even know they're there. I can think about it. Dropping them to the bottom of the list makes sense but it's a behavior change that many people won't like so, I have to give it some thought.

My recycle bin is empty, the problem is if I download a file that is 30gb then it's going to be 60gb because off unpar, the precise reason that i want to clean up in newsbin is, when i delete a file in file explorer, the file will still appear in newsbins file list, an the second reason to do the cleaning in newsbin is that maybe i have 20gb space left, then i want to move the file that is 8gb up on the download list, and then do the cleaning. when this pop up comes it totally blocks newsbin.

for the first problem. when a spilt file is downloaded the list jumps down to the bottom an then i roll up to the top to dobbelt click for example a video file before i do the second click newsbin jumps down to the bottom of the list beacuse of a new split file witch have the consequence that i suddenly select another file and the video dosen't start, the same happens if I try to rename or delete.
LLynchh
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:34 pm

My recycle bin is empty, the problem is if I download a file that is 30gb then it's going to be 60gb because off unpar,

Yeah, with repair it can probably be 10% bigger than that even so add another 3 GB for repair. I normally recommend having 3 times the disk space available for each download. So, if the download is 30 Gb, you probably want at least 90 gb free. Considering what you're downloading, you should probably keep 200-300 Gb free. Unless you're only downloading one set.

Fundamental you can prevent this from happening by not getting low on free space. Once the unrar/repair starts, there's no stopping it. It'll run till it fails. It does check available disk space before the unrar but if you keep downloading at the same time, you might still run out of space during the unrar. You can probably prevent this from happening by telling Newsbin to stop downloading during the unrar/repair. It's in the performance options.

You might be able to prevent the free space popup from popping if you pause Newsbin as soon as you click it away. I'll have to verify that though.

As for the files list, I understand the issue. The only question is whether I change it from what everyone is used to to something else.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby LLynchh » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:23 am

Quade wrote:
My recycle bin is empty, the problem is if I download a file that is 30gb then it's going to be 60gb because off unpar,

Yeah, with repair it can probably be 10% bigger than that even so add another 3 GB for repair. I normally recommend having 3 times the disk space available for each download. So, if the download is 30 Gb, you probably want at least 90 gb free. Considering what you're downloading, you should probably keep 200-300 Gb free. Unless you're only downloading one set.

Fundamental you can prevent this from happening by not getting low on free space. Once the unrar/repair starts, there's no stopping it. It'll run till it fails. It does check available disk space before the unrar but if you keep downloading at the same time, you might still run out of space during the unrar. You can probably prevent this from happening by telling Newsbin to stop downloading during the unrar/repair. It's in the performance options.

You might be able to prevent the free space popup from popping if you pause Newsbin as soon as you click it away. I'll have to verify that though.

As for the files list, I understand the issue. The only question is whether I change it from what everyone is used to to something else.

Hey Quade
I'm dropping to argument about the Pop up box "Low disk space" is blocking Newsbin.

But the Other problem, the one with Newsbin jumps to the bottom every time a new file is downloaded at the top off the List, I can't see what people shut use that behavier for, it is meaningless from my point off view.
If it whas up to me the File list shutten move at all when there is a new file coming in to the File list.
LLynchh
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby jakew » Wed May 06, 2020 10:47 am

LLynchh wrote:But the Other problem, the one with Newsbin jumps to the bottom every time a new file is downloaded at the top off the List, I can't see what people shut use that behavier for, it is meaningless from my point off view.
If it whas up to me the File list shutten move at all when there is a new file coming in to the File list.

Hi Quade, loooooong time v5 user here, trying to learn to love v6. In v5, the Files List adds newly downloaded files to the top of the list, and keeps the focus at the top of the list. In v6, the Files List adds newly downloaded files to the top of the list, but then snaps the focus to the bottom of the list every time a new file is downloaded, even if a file at the top was selected. Like Llynchh, I too can't see why anyone would prefer the v6 behavior.

I download many small files that I need to view as they come in; and having to scroll up every time is very cumbersome. I would say that an easy fix would be to add a "Date Downloaded" column on which the Files List could be permanently sorted, but the Files List doesn't re-sort itself every time a new file comes in so it would still require intervention.

Is there any way to change this behavior in v6? If not, then this might be the issue that forces me back to v5... :(

EDIT: Okay, never mind for now. I have been playing with sorting the Files List by various columns, and is appears that the list behavior is back to normal--i.e., jumps to the most recently downloaded file. Strange, could be due to a column sort variable needing to be set before the list works correctly?
jakew
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Postby Quade » Wed May 06, 2020 5:37 pm

I just took a look. It looks like it only happens with images. I wonder if it's some interaction with the thumbnail image tab? There's no fixing it without a new version. I will note it.

If you're just downloading images, the Newsbin version you use doesn't matter much. Most of the new features are for obscured content and repairs.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jakew » Wed May 06, 2020 10:22 pm

Thanks for looking into it. Turns out I spoke too soon with my EDIT above--it's broken again. I definitely got it to work correctly when downloading images before but I can't reproduce my fix. I don't use the thumbnails or image DB features.

I'm liking v6 otherwise so I hope the bug can be squashed!
jakew
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu May 07, 2020 9:23 am

I used the X on the windows to remove the thumbnail tab completely and I'm not seeing it jump anymore. If you can't make it close you might need to click the lock on the toolbar then close it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jakew » Thu May 07, 2020 9:46 pm

I normally don't even have the thumbnails window visible. Showing and then closing thumbnails didn't do anything for me. I was able to get the list to behave properly (a second time) after sorting and resorting the Files List columns by Filename and Group a few times, but when I quit and restarted in an attempt to recreate the fix, it didn't work. *shrug*
jakew
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri May 08, 2020 10:45 am

I was hoping some voodoo could work around the problem since I'm not sure why it's jumping like that when doing images.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby jakew » Tue May 19, 2020 10:43 pm

Turns out there is some measure of voodoo involved. I've found that if I download enough images in a given session, it will start behaving correctly. I don't know the magic number but let's say on the order of 250 images with average size around 2MB each?
jakew
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed May 20, 2020 12:23 am

I'll bet it's the count and not the size. I have it on my todo list right now.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support