6.80B11 - NZB Watch Folder not loading - FIXED IN B12

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

6.80B11 - NZB Watch Folder not loading - FIXED IN B12

Postby KCCraash » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:06 pm

I'm seeing a weird thing after moving to 6.80B11. I've used the NZB Watch folder for as long as I can remember, and I love it (although I wish you could set it to NOT check zip files). With 6.80B11 it's not loading NZBs automatically UNTIL I go in and check settings for that folder Options -> NZB Options. Once I open that dialog box, and click OK without making any changes, it will load all the nzb's in the directory. It won't load any new ones after that.

Rinse, repeat.
Last edited by KCCraash on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/16/08

Re: 6.80B11 - NZB Watch Folder not loading

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:00 pm

I'll check it out.

Why not just not copy zips to the watch folder?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby KCCraash » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Quade wrote:I'll check it out.

Why not just not copy zips to the watch folder?

Yea, that would be the simple thing.

The deal is, I run an indexer that my non-technical family all browse. They each individually choose what content they may want and click on the NZB to download (once downloaded, I process later). I've redirected all their download locations to a shared network folder which is monitored by Newsbin. This PRETTY much automates their request of material without them have to worries about the "tech stuff". The only problem comes when they download a zip file and it's moved to the "loaded" folder. It seems no matter how many times I explain it to them, I still get asked about it a couple of times a week.

I wrote a script that kicks of every couple of hours that empties the "loaded" folder, if a perfect world an option to NOT keep the loaded NZB's would be awesome too.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:08 pm

As long as the NZB is inside the ZIP, Newsbin should be picking it up, It looks inside RARS too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby KCCraash » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Quade wrote:As long as the NZB is inside the ZIP, Newsbin should be picking it up, It looks inside RARS too.

I didn't explain myself well.

In chrome, when someone clicks a download link it downloads automatically to their default windows download folder.

I've redirected all my family's download folders to the same folder, which Newsbin monitors. So ALL their downloads go here. It's not that Newsbin is missing nzb's within zips, it's that it's trying to process school work in zips and then moving the file to the loaded folder (even though it contained no nzb).

I know I'm not using this as it was likely intended, but it works SO well for our needs and would be perfect if I could just ask it to process ONLY znb's. Other than myself, know one here would zip and download multiple nzb's.

No argument that it could be considered a case of user education, but if a check box to process only nzb extensions fixes my education problem? I'd be all over that.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby KCCraash » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:16 pm

I suppose another option would be to NOT move a compressed file to the "loaded" folder if it contained no NZB.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby KCCraash » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:43 pm

Were you able to replicate this, @Quade?
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:59 pm

It's not really broken. It's written to process and move RAR/GZ and ZIP files. You're doing something that's not really recommended which is making the NZB load folder a general use folder instead of a dedicated NZB folder. How about making the NZB load folder a dedicated folder then using something to sweep the NZB's out of the download folder into the NZB folder?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby KCCraash » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Quade wrote:It's not really broken. It's written to process and move RAR/GZ and ZIP files. You're doing something that's not really recommended which is making the NZB load folder a general use folder instead of a dedicated NZB folder. How about making the NZB load folder a dedicated folder then using something to sweep the NZB's out of the download folder into the NZB folder?

The processing of the compressed files wasn't my issue. It was just a side issue. The issue I'm having is that Newsbin ISN'T processing the NZB watch folder except for immediately (and only once) after I open and then close the NZB watch. Check the original post - the compressed file thing was just a comment. This is new behavior in beta 11.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:27 pm

How about setting it to a dedicated folder and see if it still does it? I'm wondering if it's spending a bunch of time looking at other files in this folder.

I tested NZB watch folders before the last beta and it just picked up the NZB's without having to mess with the options.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby KCCraash » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Quade wrote:How about setting it to a dedicated folder and see if it still does it? I'm wondering if it's spending a bunch of time looking at other files in this folder.

I tested NZB watch folders before the last beta and it just picked up the NZB's without having to mess with the options.

There is currently NOTHING in there. I keep it pretty clean. Rarely does it have more than 15 files that might be in there.

I'm actually doing the following as I type this:

Newsbin is open.
I'm downloading a nzb from my indexer.
I just verified it's in the download folder.
Nothing in newsbin. 30 secs later - nothing in newsbin.
I open the NZB watch, browse to the download folder (same folder that was already specified) and close the properties.
NZB is loaded.
Download another nzb
Nothing in newsbin. 30 secs later - nothing in newsbin.
The NZB is still in the download folder.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:59 pm

I just tossed an NZB into my watch folder and 20 or so seconds later it was picked up and fed to the top of the download list. It's not going to pick them up immediately. It's on a timer. It periodically checks the folder.

So, I'm unclear what's going on. Your report is the first for this. Try this. Make a second watch folder. Add a second watch folder to the NZB options pointing to this folder, then try copying an NZB into this folder instead of saving from FF. I'm wondering if there's a difference between downloading to the folder and copying a file to the folder. Maybe some timing issue where Newsbin tries to pick up the NZB but it's still locked by FF or your security software then Newsbin gives up till you change the options.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby KCCraash » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:02 pm

I'll do even better, I'll install on a second machine and see if I can replicate it. My method hasn't changed in ages, it's definitely something that has arisen since I upgraded to beta 11. But, it could just as easily be on my end.

I'll see what a new install does.

Thanks Quade.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm just trying to characterize it. If it's a timing problem I might just have to try harder to open the NZB.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby KCCraash » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 am

After creating a new NZB watch using a new dedicated folder, I still see the same issue where NZB's aren't loaded from either my original or the newly created NZB watch.

So, I rolled back to B10. The problem doesn't occur there. My newly created dedicated watch works, and my "shared" download folder works just like it used too.

To be clear, I rolled B10 out right on top of B11. The installer recognized it and preformed an 'upgrade'. It wasn't a new install, all settings were retained.

I'm gonna chalk this up to something wierd between B11 and my setup. I'll revisit it in the next beta release to see if it still happens.

If there is anything else you'd like me to try, or provide to you, please let me know.

Thanks for a great program.

Further clarifications:
The files placed in my watch folders are .NZB, not compressed files containing NZBs.
I left the NZB's in the watch folder for 10 minutes before I decided they weren't loading.
B10 loaded a newly downloaded NZB in 10 seconds, or so.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby wiggins09 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

My problem matches this threads title but is win10 specific for me (so maybe needs it's own thread?) Win7 works fine with this build.

I did a HW upgrade & was forced to move to w10 from w7 (both x64).
Since that point NB has been erratic loading nzbs in zips.

Since w10 b1607 it has been intermittent. But now post 1703 it will not load a zip at all.
I had been able to move the zip from 'loaded' back to the watch area & NB would re-read & then process the contents. Now it moves the zip to 'loaded' & if I try to move it I get a msg - NB is using the file.
I can wait a loooong time (eg <20 mins) & nothing happens, so I tried closing down nb, then moving the file back, nb restart....but same stall again.
Also I discovered that if nb is running & locked onto a zip it will not read the nzbs extracted into it's watch dir.
Nb remains responsive otherwise & I can open & leech an nzb manually via file>load nzb.

I have ensured that the NB data & install folders are allowed to have write access; NB & folders are not virtualized by the AV; that NB is run as Admin & has full permissions + I am always logged into w10 with admin rights.

Right now I can only load nzbs if I extract the zip into the watch folder.
I'm running out of ideas so any help would be appreciated.
Awesome FREE file manager - http://multicommander.com/
wiggins09
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/08/14

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:53 pm

Since that point NB has been erratic loading nzbs in zips.

This specific thing is broken in B11 and fixed in B12. I broke it adding full pathing support to ZIP file downloads.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby wiggins09 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:57 am

OK thanks Quade.

Looking forward to b12 :)
Awesome FREE file manager - http://multicommander.com/
wiggins09
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/08/14

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:38 am

Yeah, it's on IRC right now. Assuming nothing bad shows up, it should be on the forum in a day or so.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby KCCraash » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:50 am

Goodness!! B12 is FULL of goodness!!

Now loading automatically, and I LOVE that it only processes compressed files that contain ZNB's . . . so fixed my issue.

I've written a script that automatically removes my loaded NZB's. Am I missing something by not keeping them? What is the reason they are kept?

Great Job Quade. Beautiful update.
KCCraash
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: 6.80B11 - NZB Watch Folder not loading - FIXED IN B12

Postby Quade » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:47 am

I've written a script that automatically removes my loaded NZB's. Am I missing something by not keeping them? What is the reason they are kept?

The "loaded" folder was supposed to have gone away but apparently I missed something. Instead all the loaded NZB's will end up in the NZB folder in Newsbin. They'll get purged automatically from that folder. There's no reason to keep them unless you really want to keep them.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dennisjensen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Quade wrote:The "loaded" folder was supposed to have gone away but apparently I missed something. Instead all the loaded NZB's will end up in the NZB folder in Newsbin. They'll get purged automatically from that folder. There's no reason to keep them unless you really want to keep them.

Would like an option to keep nzb files like before, makes it easy to share good finds with friends ;o)
dennisjensen
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Postby Quade » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:36 pm

As long as you fish them out of the NZB Folder, before 2 days pass, you can still share them. You can also tweak how long Newsbin will keep files in the data folder.

The only difference is that all NZB's end up in a common folder now.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dennisjensen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Quade wrote:As long as you fish them out of the NZB Folder, before 2 days pass, you can still share them. You can also tweak how long Newsbin will keep files in the data folder.
The only difference is that all NZB's end up in a common folder now.

Yeah, but the watch/loaded folder is synced to a cloud service, making it easy to move files even when not near Newsbin PC.
dennisjensen
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/05/03

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support