Chunk Cache Use State not resetting on exit:

This is the place to help test and discuss Version 6 Beta releases.

Chunk Cache Use State not resetting on exit:

Postby saintsinner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:54 am

Just noticed this on RC5 (and RC6) but after rebooting my pc and re-launching newsbin my cache state is displayed as 400/400(28) suggesting there is something processing in the background, nothing is being downloaded (or even is in the queue) when it is working the Cache numbers change (e.g. when processing headers 391/400 (4) but then when it finishes processing the cache state returns to 400/400 (28) the () has changed as I swear it was in the teens with RC5... Not an urgent problem as it doesn't effect the functionality of newsbin, but is a weird problem. I've not yet uninstalled and reinstalled as it doesn't bother me *that* much :)
saintsinner
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/09/07

Re: Chunk Cache Use State not resetting on exit:

Postby itimpi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:46 am

The value in brackets is the number of header files that are already downloaded and sitting on disk that are waiting to be processed into the header database. As such there is no download involved as it has already completed. If there is nothing else going on it should gradually decrement as the files get processed into the header database. If it does not go to zero then you have a ‘stuck’ header file that cannot be processed for some reason, and the solution is to delete the downloaded header files from the Newsbin DATA folder.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby saintsinner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:43 pm

itimpi wrote:The value in brackets is the number of header files that are already downloaded and sitting on disk that are waiting to be processed into the header database. As such there is no download involved as it has already completed. If there is nothing else going on it should gradually decrement as the files get processed into the header database. If it does not go to zero then you have a ‘stuck’ header file that cannot be processed for some reason, and the solution is to delete the downloaded header files from the Newsbin DATA folder.

Cool, I'll try that (wiping out the entire header collection) as I don't have any attachment to my header files, though if it resets the on deck number (to say 5 instead of 5+ 28) then after processing those 5 (and not downloading any new headers) shouldn't it drop back to 0 instead of returning to the 28? Will report back if wiping out the headers doesn't fix the issue.
saintsinner
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:27 am

It's multiple TB's of download if you intend to re-download them. I'd suggest not deleting them unless you know you have a bad group and then I'd only delete the headers from one group at a time.

You could just clean out the import folder in the data folder. In the options, "open data folder" then, exit Newsbin and then delete the import folder.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby saintsinner » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 am

Quade wrote:It's multiple TB's of download if you intend to re-download them. I'd suggest not deleting them unless you know you have a bad group and then I'd only delete the headers from one group at a time.

You could just clean out the import folder in the data folder. In the options, "open data folder" then, exit Newsbin and then delete the import folder.

You replied while I was updating (sadly after I nuked the headers) You're right, cleaning out the Import folder (and chunks folder) is what seems to have fixed it, deleting all the headers without manually clearing those two folders didn't do anything but save me a bit of HD space (as a design note, it would be really handy to have a status window like compacting groups when you delete the headers via newsbin as I couldn't tell when it was finished so just let it sit there for 20 minutes.) But with those folders clear even after grabbing half a million headers from the groups I care about shows 400/400 (0) when processing is done so I'm a happy chappy.
saintsinner
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:27 am

The chunks folder is self cleaning. Once they get 2 days old they get deleted. If you have an inordinate number of chunks it might indicate a problem with the download folder on some of your downloads so the files never assemble.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newsbin Version 6 Beta Support