Obfuscated file names

General NewsBin and Usenet related discussions. Make recommendations for additional specific discussion groups.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Obfuscated file names

Postby SuperTech » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:54 pm

I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything. For the past few years uploaders are obfuscating their file uploads for obvious reasons. The resulting name of the NZB is the correct name, but the resulting thing that comes out of them is <some_random_series_of_numbers.mkv>. I have to use Agent Ransack, set the file type to *.NZB and then search for the first 6 or so numbers, then rename the file. Usually, not a problem unless I have lots of files, then it's a real PITA. Can NewsBin somehow do this or is there some type of freeware where I can point it to the NZB, point it to the obfuscated files and do a mass rename?
SuperTech
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/24/04

Re: Obfuscated file names

Postby Quade » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm going to add a renamer to name it based on the NZB file name . It should be in the next beta.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby SuperTech » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:50 pm

Sweet!!!
SuperTech
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby brcarls » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:11 pm

If there is no nzb, would it be feasible to get the file name from the .sfv or maybe a .par file?
brcarls
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/22/15

Postby Quade » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:36 pm

f there is no nzb, would it be feasible to get the file name from the .sfv or maybe a .par file?

The PAR file typically only covers the rars and not the inner files. SFV is possible if it's in the set. These days many things are posted without SFV files anymore.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby brcarls » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:12 am

I have noticed a lot of posts recently with .sfv files but no .nzbs. I was hoping that your new feature would check for a .sfv if there is no .nzb.
brcarls
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby efgh » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:31 pm

SuperTech wrote:I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything. For the past few years uploaders are obfuscating their file uploads for obvious reasons. The resulting name of the NZB is the correct name, but the resulting thing that comes out of them is <some_random_series_of_numbers.mkv>. I have to use Agent Ransack, set the file type to *.NZB and then search for the first 6 or so numbers, then rename the file. Usually, not a problem unless I have lots of files, then it's a real PITA. Can NewsBin somehow do this or is there some type of freeware where I can point it to the NZB, point it to the obfuscated files and do a mass rename?

Thanks for posting this, I had the exact same question and look forward to the next beta. Be nice to auto un-rar with a proper filename because of this Obfuscated file names.
efgh
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/22/13

Postby SuperTech » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:53 pm

Latest beta with this feature works great, thank you!
SuperTech
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby alloutnow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:40 am

I might be missing something here... but when I open nzb files in Newsbin, that have obfuscated files, those files don't show up for download in UI of Newsbin. Why is that?
I'm using Newsbin Pro 6.72 - Build: 4776
alloutnow
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/06

Postby dexter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:09 am

By default, loading NZB files go into a post list for your review and then you can queue that for download. If you'd like Newsbin to automatically download from the NZB file, go under Options -> Settings -> NZB Options and turn on "Download Double-Clicked NZB". Then you can either drag and drop an NZB onto Newsbin or double-click on the NZB file and it'll automatically be added to the download list.

You may have better results with the latest beta. It has logic to better handle some types of obfuscated posts. http://www.newsbin.com/beta.php
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alloutnow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:57 am

dexter wrote:By default, loading NZB files go into a post list for your review and then you can queue that for download.

Yes I know that, but what I was saying is that they do not show up in the post list for that particular obfuscated nzb. That is my problem, so I can't start the download.

dexter wrote:You may have better results with the latest beta. It has logic to better handle some types of obfuscated posts. http://www.newsbin.com/beta.php

Ok, I just installed the latest beta (V. 6.80812 - Build: 5000) but the behaviour is exactly the same; the files do not show up.
alloutnow
n00b
n00b

Postby alloutnow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 pm

...and by the way, there is nothing wrong with the nzb file, because I just downloaded the files it referred to with SABnzbd.
alloutnow
n00b
n00b

Postby dexter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:01 pm

Can you send us the NZB file so we can try to recreate the issue? ts at newsbin dot com

Also, you may want to look in the Logging tab and see if Newsbin is throwing some error when you try to load it.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alloutnow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:27 pm

I just sent you the nzb file to you. I did as you asked, dragged the file into Newsbin and checked the Logging tab. There were no messages there regarding the file.
alloutnow
n00b
n00b

Postby dexter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:37 pm

Your NZB worked perfectly for me. Only thing I can think of is maybe you have some filters set or you have a corrupt database file.

You might want to try removing the Nzbs folder from your Newsbin Data Folder. Go under Options -> Settings, click the "Open Data Folder" button, navigate into the SPOOL_V6 folder, then close Newsbin and remove the Nzbs folder.

If that doesn't change anything, go under Options -> Settings -> NZB Options and see if you have a "NZB Loading Filter" set. If you do, go under Options -> Filters, click on the filter profile matching what is set as your NZB Loading Filter, and see what filter you have set that might be blocking this.

If that's not it, see if you have a poster lockout configured for this poster. Go under Options -> Settings -> Poster Settings and see if the poster is in your "Dirty Rotten Spammers" list. If it is, highlight it and hit the delete key then try to load the NZB again.

Hope one of these 3 possibilities resolves your issue.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alloutnow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Your third recommendation fixed my problem. It turned out this particular poster was on my "Dirty Rotten Spammers" list. Sorry for all the trouble, dexter. :oops: I'll remember to check the list if this happens again.

Thank you for your help and patience!
alloutnow
n00b
n00b

Postby dexter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:23 pm

Awesome, glad we got it figured out.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:06 pm

Your third recommendation fixed my problem. It turned out this particular poster was on my "Dirty Rotten Spammers" list. Sorry for all the trouble, dexter. :oops: I'll remember to check the list if this happens again.

If you download by drag and drop or double-click so it goes directly to the download list, it bypasses all the post list filters. In 6.80B13 (the next one), it'll even group otherwise ungroupable file sets. You can also configure Newsbin to pick up and download NZB's automatically using NZB Autoload (in the NZB Options).
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby alloutnow » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks Quade, looks promising!
alloutnow
n00b
n00b

Postby brcarls » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:43 pm

I installed RC7 (from RC5) and this feature stopped working... Is there a switch I need to throw?
brcarls
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:10 pm

What stopped working?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby brcarls » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Files are showing up with the obfuscated filenames rather than the nzb name
brcarls
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:46 pm

I like terse replies but sometimes you hit a point of terseness where I don't know what you're talking about.

What aspect of obscure files isn't working for you? The MKV's aren't being renamed to the NZB Filename or something? If they change the format of the obscured filenames then it might stop working. I don't have enough information to have an opinion.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby brcarls » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:11 am

Quade wrote:The MKV's aren't being renamed to the NZB Filename or something? .
Correct.

This was hard to track down because loaded NZBs disappear so quickly by default, but I am pretty sure this was only happening with one indexer. I stopped using the suspect indexer and have not had the issue since.
brcarls
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:07 pm

but I am pretty sure this was only happening with one indexer. I stopped using the suspect indexer and have not had the issue since.

If you want me to fix it, I'd just need some of the NZB's to look at. The NZB's should get sent to the NZB Folder in the data folder. They should live there for a couple days till Newsbin deletes them.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby brcarls » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:08 pm

I understand. Unfortunately, I have a relatively slow connection and files may sit in my queue for days or weeks before being downloaded so the problem NZBs are long gone.
brcarls
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby confusednewb » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:30 pm

ok - maybe I'm misreading this - or at least, misunderstanding.

yeah - most filenames are obfuscated - gobblygook - right? I am following that, I think. Image link not allowed for unregistered users

but if I'm reading this correctly, you're saying the newest version of Newsbin translates them, and turns them back into english?

I downloaded and installed. But it isn't working that way for me. I can still start the download, unrar the NZB file and get the file name. But I was doing that before.

Didn't I read that NB is doing that automatically for me now? Or do I have to do something to enable that?

thanks, and as always, apologies for being slow
confusednewb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Our search engine is able to probe into some of the formats and show a human readable string. If you're downloading headers, you can select an obscured download and hit Ctrl-R to probe it. Not all formats are probable.

If you use NZB's that have proper filenames and the output of the unrar is an obscured file, then the NZB Filename will be used to rename the final unrared file.

I'm not 100% sure what you're expecting. You don't need to unrar a rar containing NZB's. You can feed it to Newsbin and it'll unrar the NZB's out of the rar.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby confusednewb » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:03 am

ok - thanks. didn't catch the ctrl R thing.

I was thinking they just translated headers automatically, and put them on the list. Fair enough - thanks.
confusednewb
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:44 am

I was thinking they just translated headers automatically,

The issue is that it requires a partial download to probe and I don't think most people want to probe every file automatically.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby farmwald » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:32 pm

I'm missing something on how Newsbin handles obfuscated file names.
I mostly use newsbin search. I see the correct file/post names in the search list. When I download, I only get the obfuscated names, even though Newsbin clearly knows the correct name.
How do I get the posts saved as the non-obfuscated names? I don't see any nzb files, but, as I said, Newsbin already knows the right names.
Also, is there any way to copy the header returned by search to the clipboard? That would be a less painful way to get the right names - currently, I type them by hand.
Thanks.
farmwald
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:47 pm

You should try the latest best. I added a new feature to use the information search sends down to rename obscured MKV files.

Newsbin only knows what it's programmed to know. Until recently it wasn't necessary for me to change anything about the output of the unrar so, Newsbin didn't do it. Now people are purposely messing up the unrar names. So, I have to change Newsbin to try to fix it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby farmwald » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Thank you. 6.81b4 works great.
Is there a way to copy post headers from search to the clipboard? I have a lot of old obfuscated file that I saved away - if I could copy the correct names from newsbin search and paste, it would save a lot of time. Otherwise, I have to redownload (if still possible) or type by hand.
Thanks.
farmwald
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Select and hit "Ctrl-C". It'll copy the text to the clipboard.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby farmwald » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:39 pm

I would swear that I already tried that and it failed - but it does work.
Thanks again.
farmwald
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to General Discussion