Ability to Search on Download Path

Make suggestions for new features.

Moderator: Quade

Ability to Search on Download Path

Postby Voyager62 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:44 pm

I know at first glance this seems ridiculous since the download paths don't exist until the files are downloaded, but my request is very practical and needed now that almost all posts have obfuscated File Names.

Here's my situation. I select a list of videos to download from my NZB provider. This list sometimes includes 1080p and 2160p versions of the same video. I'd like to put the 2160p videos in the Wish List and only download them if there is no 1080p version or it fails to download. The file names are obfuscated and gibberish, so seaching on them for 2160p doesn't work, but the NZB's are named with the correct file name of the video. So if Newsbin could also search on the Download Path, it would allow me to select all the 2160p videos and move them to the Wish List without having to manually do it one by one.
Voyager62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/29/04

Re: Ability to Search on Download Path

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking for. Search for what on disk from where?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Voyager62 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:45 am

Search for what on disk from where?

Jameiso has a similar problem, but not exactly what I'm talking about. His files are named with the obfuscated File Name, but mine are named correctly because I have Newsbin name them after the directory (which was named for the NZB file name) when they are extracted.

All I'd want is a check box on the search bar that says to also search the Download Path "Column" in the Downloading File's List. I'm not asking to search the disk for them and that they don't exist anywhere but in the file list until they are download. Instead of either going through the list one-by-one and weeding out the 2160p entries where there is also a 1080p entry, I'd like to search for all Download Paths with 2160p in the name and move all them to the Wish List for later.

I think you can do it with only a check box and a mouse over pop up saying to "also" search the download path or search the download path "instead". Doesn't matter which to me. Instead would be more flexible for me.

With more and more posts being done this way, maybe there should be a way to show a fake pseudo File Name in the download list. Then all you have to do is search the File Name column. That could be a simple checkbox in the settings.
Voyager62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:55 am

, but mine are named correctly because I have Newsbin name them after the directory (which was named for the NZB file name) when they are extracted.

Its renaming using the NZB File filename directly. It's not because you're using NZBFILE in the unrar path. It would rename even if you didn't use NZBFILE is what I mean.

As long as you don't have "show filenames" checked in the download list, the NZB Filename is also listed in the download list. So I'd say the "pseudo" filename is already there.

I'll think about the download path thing. I'm not keen on the checkbox idea but maybe I could search all fields
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Voyager62 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:28 am

Quade wrote:
As long as you don't have "show filenames" checked in the download list, the NZB Filename is also listed in the download list. So I'd say the "pseudo" filename is already there.

Yes, but the "pseudo" filenames aren't searchable, so doesn't help for my purposes and even if you could sort on the description column with show filenames turned off, 2160p isn't in the first position in the filename.

Thanks for considering adding it. With all the obfuscation, sorting and searching has become almost impossible in Newsbin as is. It was fine years ago to be able to search and sort on the post description, but today it has nothing AT ALL to do with the content of the post. It might be better to just get rid of showing real filenames all together and force a pseudo filename view, because even if you have to find that particular post in your download directory, 9 times out of 10 running Quickpar will rename it to something else anyway. This confuses Newsbin and file will be left in the download directory or not moved. I know you can't fix all the problems caused by obfuscation, but being able to search on the download path shouldn't be that hard to invoke

I was thinking of what would be a minimal change to invoke searching on the download path. If not a checkbox, then maybe a second search box or as with searching in Gmail, use a term with a colon to specify which column to search. name:2160p or path:2160p.
Voyager62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Feature Requests