Are older posts deleted?

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Are older posts deleted?

Postby RankoSaotome » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:59 am

Hello.

Some time ago (a little more than 1 year) I asked about filters, since I could not figure out how to use the filters in NBP.
I got an easy to understand answer in this forum.
Then I created some Filters and used them.
Today I recognised that NBP did download some files it should have filtered.
I looked and my filters are gone.
Okay, in the last year I had to tweak, save, load and reinstall NBP some times, so to no surprise, something is lost.
Thats the reason I want to create the filters again, but I can't remember the correct syntax.
So I searched this forum for my old post and the answers, but I can't find it.
Does this forum delete old posts?

Do I have to bother you again for the syntax for filtering in NBP?

Thank you in advance!
Please excuse my typos. I am not native english speaking.
= = = =
Dell Optiplex 7010 I7-3770(4coreHT @3,4GHz), 24GB Ram, some SSD & HDD, Win10Pro 64bit
RankoSaotome
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Are older posts deleted?

Postby dexter » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Search your hard drive for the filters.db3 file. Possibly your data folder changed and Newsbin is no longer loading your original filters?

You may have to include system and hidden folders in your search. If it returns more than one filters.db3 file, choose the one with a date from when the filters were correct and copy that into your current newsbin data folder. You can determine where your data folder is by going under Options -> Settings and click the "Open Data Folder" button. Close Newsbin before copying the original filters.db3 file over.

To answer your question, the forums are a knowledebase and old posts are not deleted unless there is some topic that is totally obsolete.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RankoSaotome » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Hello.
dexter wrote:Search your hard drive for the filters.db3 file. Possibly your data folder changed and Newsbin is no longer loading your original filters?

I did find the filters.db3
Since ist was readable as text I searched for my filter keywords, but they are not there.
LIke I said. Looks like they're lost.

dexter wrote:You may have to include system and hidden folders in your search. If it returns more than one filters.db3 file, choose the one with a date from when the filters were correct

Since I do not have older filters.db3 files with the keywords and I do not know when the filters were correct, trying to get the old filters back is not possible.
So I have to create the filters new and this time I will save them extra in a clear textfile to be backupped elsewhere.
I do not blame NBP for the missing filters, since I did tweak and even reinstall it.
I just want to understand the syntax to create the filters again.

dexter wrote:To answer your question, the forums are a knowledebase and old posts are not deleted unless there is some topic that is totally obsolete.

Hm. then my question was obsolete, since I listed all Postings with my Name and did not find that one.

Thanks for the answer.
= = = =
Dell Optiplex 7010 I7-3770(4coreHT @3,4GHz), 24GB Ram, some SSD & HDD, Win10Pro 64bit
RankoSaotome
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:44 pm

Did you post from this account? I have not performed a forum cleanup of obsolete items in over 2 years. I thought you were referring to a post like 5 years ago or something. There are posts going back over 10 years lying around in our forums.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RankoSaotome » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:36 pm

dexter wrote:Did you post from this account?

Yes. I have only this account in this board and I got NBP a little over 1 year ago.
I did post some questions in this board (most of them in this newbie section).

But I figured out how to recreate the importend filters I had, so I do not need the older posting, I was searching for, any more.

Like I said: I thank you for your time and effort to answer and help me.
= = = =
RankoSaotome
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:59 pm

Turns out you were right. I checked and somehow auto-prune was turned on for the newbie forum. Pruned to 180 days except for stickies or announcements. I have turned it off. Sorry about that. Glad to hear you got your filters sorted.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RankoSaotome » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:09 pm

Hello.
Some time ago I wrote:

RankoSaotome wrote:...Then I created some Filters and used them.
Today I recognised that NBP did download some files it should have filtered.
I looked and my filters are gone...

I got the answer
dexter wrote:Search your hard drive for the filters.db3 file. Possibly your data folder changed and Newsbin is no longer loading your original filters?

I do not know if you are interested in this, but now I know why my manually created filters were gone.

Long description:
First I saved the configuration of NBP. Then I made a Backup of my complete NBP-Data-Folder (f:\nbpdata).
After that I replaced the PC (look in the signature if you want to know more).
But I transfered almost all the old SSD/HDD from the old to the new PC and I kept almost all the volumes intact.
Only the SSD with C: was changed and so I installed Win7 new, installed HW-drivers and made all the Win7-updates.
And now it comes:
Then I installed NBP (6.81 Build 5080). Sadly the Installation of NBP did ask a lot of Data I should have in the saved config, but I answered. I did name the exact same NBP-Data-folder (f:\nbpdata) where my old NBP Data was stored (including all the old *.nbi *.db3 and so on files).
Then I did not start NBP. I ended the installation and started the saved config (Newsbin-2018-Oct-13.nbi).
Most of my configuration was there, but the self created Filters were gone again.
I looked in the NBP-Data-Folder. There was a Filters.DB3 but it was a new one. So the NBP Installation did delete/overwrite my existing filters.db3.
I ended NBP, copied my backuped filters.db3 in the NBP-Data-Folder to overwite the newly creates file and startet NBP again.
And my manually created filters are back.

So long text in short: the installation-process from NBP seems to delete an existing Filters.DB3. At least in my case...

Maybe it would be interesting to implement in the Installprogramm a way to install, but not create a new Newsserver account and so on. Just in case someone has an existing configuration and just was forced to reinstall C: (because he wanted to change the Boot Device or so).

Have a nice day.
= = = =
RankoSaotome
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:04 am

That is expected behavior. If the installer doesn't detect that Newsbin was previously installed, it will install as new. The solution you discovered is the one I would have suggested.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Newbie Forum