Assemble incompletes + simultaneous downloads

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Assemble incompletes + simultaneous downloads

Postby megalomando » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:27 pm

Two questions.

1. Is there a switch to have "assemble incompletes" do so automatically? I am often finding several downloads have stalled and not gotten to the par stage because the incomplete likes were not assembled and there were not enough pars to assemble the completed ones. Finding one of these, I have to manually tell nNewsbin to assemble the incompletes and then it either begins to unrar or I have to tell it to resume downloading more par (which are on pause). At this time all works perfectly but I'd like to have it assemble and continue without having to tell it to do so.

2. Another item I might have missed is how to have more than one download happen at the same time. I've missed the switch for that if the option exists.

Thanks and I really love this program, it is brilliant.
megalomando
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/09/04

Re: Assemble incompletes + simultaneous downloads

Postby Quade » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:21 pm

1 - What version are you using? In 6.81, if you enable "Aggressive Assembly". It'll tend to assemble incompletes early. It does it if there are PARs and autopar is enabled.

2 - All the downloads threads work on the top most file and work their way down as the file completes. Used to be you'd see files download in parallel with one connection working on each file. Now all the connections work on the top files and work their way down. The download speed is the same either way.

If you download small files, and have more connections than blocks in the file, you'll see something that looks like the old way but it's still working on the top files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby megalomando » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks for the reply.

1. I'm using V 6.81 #5080
I do have under Autopar options, Aggressive assembly mode checked. However, the tag line says (bypass retries and assemble when you have enough pars). This works beautifully when there are no incompletes to be filled and with this, Newsbin does not download un-needed pars when it gets enough RARs and it unrars as expected.

What it does not do is assemble incompletes in the RARs above the pars. Most RARs will say completed but those with pieces missing still say downloading and the pars say paused. This is what I am not sure that Newsbin deals with automatically & if so, how to engage it to do so automatically. - At this point, I see the held up file, either because it is not unraring and other files are downloading below or, it is a file that will not unrar. What I manually have to do is click on the + and expand the drop-down list, see which ones are incomplete, tell Newsbin to assemble those incompletes, and then Newsbin sees that more pars are needed and downloads what is necessary from the paused pars and then unrars.

Unless I tell it to assemble the incompletes, it stops and waits for these manual instructions. - What I would like it to do is upon completion of the RAR download, retry the download and if no pieces download to fulfill the incompletes, then assemble the incompletes automatically without needing my intervention to do so.

2. I have 300 Mbps download, usually, the speed is seen + - 200Mbps. Sometimes I find one file downloads at say. 20, 30 Mbps and when it is complete, the next file is downloaded at some much higher number. I would like to be able to engage multiple files to download simultaneously, not the individual RARs that make up a file.

Again, thanks for the reply.
megalomando
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:11 am

How many retries do you have set? Retries gate when "assemble incompletes" kicks in. I recommend 2 retries normally. There's a balancing act between assembling too soon and not soon enough.

The only thing that should potentially stall the download is the unrar/repair process but that's optional. The performance options let you tell Newsbin whether to continue to download during unrar or not.

With the right server and PC, you should be getting 300 Mbps. It's not that uncommon to get twice that speed if your internet and server are up to it. 200 Mbps is just idling along to Newsbin. The question is why you can't sustain full speed. There are a number of possibilities. Your PC, security software, internet connection, server. It's the kind of thing you need to investigate on step at a time. What news server are you using?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby megalomando » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Thanks again.

1. I had it set to 50, I nave it now set to 2 as you suggested, hopefully this is the solution.

2. The PC I'm using is a new board, Asus Prime z370-A, i7-8700K @ 5GHz, 32 gig CAS14 G.Skill RAM. Malware Bytes and Defender are the antivirus. When I use DSL reports to check my speeds it is usually around 275 Mbps, this also when I'm seeing slow downloads. I am downloading from Usenet and Astraweb. I use wireless to connect and the router and antennas allow me to hit 300 Mbps. I can say that I have accessed DSLReports while seeing a slowdown of files and always the download is over 200, even when simultaneously downloading the file.

The impression I get is some files download slower than others. If I have say, 3 files in Queue, the first might download in the 230's, the 2nd in the double digits and the third back near 200. That may not be the source of the slowdown but that's the effect it seems to be. I doubt it is Newsbin, it is not repeatable, I only see it at times but it happens often.
megalomando
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:30 pm

Before I did any more trouble-shooting, I'd try a Ethernet cable to the router and see how fast she goes. Trying to sustain high speed downloads over wifi seems problematic.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby megalomando » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:41 pm

No can do. That would involve drilling a hole in the floor large enough to pull the plug through. I doubt it is the wireless router as it usually sustains the maximum download speed on files. If there's no option to download multiple files simultaneously, I suspect there is not much more to do, Is there any convenient way I can run two instances of Newsbin simultaneously?

1. Your suggestion of selecting retries @ 2 did the job. It is now assembling the incompletes and continuing with obtaining enough pars to unrar.

one out of two is good.

Thanks
megalomando
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:09 pm

If there's no option to download multiple files simultaneously, I suspect there is not much more to do, Is there any convenient way I can run two instances of Newsbin simultaneously?

This is how usenet works:

1 - A typical 50 meg RAR files is divided up into 67 blocks of data and these 67 blocks are then posted to the group.
2 - To make a 4 Gb file, you need to post 80 50 meg rar files divided into 67 blocks per file (not including the PAR Files). So a total if 5360 blocks of data are posted to the news server for a single 4 GB set of files.
3 - Newsbin downloads blocks of the files. If you have 10 connections enabled, Newsbin downloads 10 blocks of the file at a time.

The connections are fully utilized, the whole time pulling data. That's how people can get close to 1 Gbps download speed. This is more efficient than downloading files in parallel because all the connections remain active all the time.

Your speed problem is external to how Newsbin downloads. Many people download with Newsbin at easily 3 times your current download speed. Running 2 instances of Newsbin won't fix your problem. It'll just add more problems.

In your shoes, I'd experiment with different news servers. I'd make sure they are all the same priority so they were all used at the same time. I wouldn't use a crazy number of connections. Maybe 8-10 per server. I'd make sure you're not running out of connections (errors in the logs).

I'd remove any security software, reboot and try some downloads. This has often improved performance for many. The only security software that doesn't seem to impact performance is the built in MS stuff.

You may find you're simply ham-strung by your wireless connection but who knows?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support