Filter post by size, download this posts. Why???

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Filter post by size, download this posts. Why???

Postby avi111 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:57 am

Hi
when I set filter by size that is grater then 5M profile on a group it is steel download this headers (and JUST mark them as "too small")
this generate unnecessary big DB files
Is their any way I can prevent adding this small files posts from registering in the group.DB3 file (without manually deleting them from the group)
I don't understand this behavior why showing them as "too small" when I don't want to see them at all.

this create BIG DB3 files making then very slow to search in.

this is like using filter for spam post and downloading them all and shewing them as "spam"

Please tell me how to download ONLY post that are bigger then XX in size without adding them in to DB3 file
Thanks
avi111
n00b
n00b

Re: Filter post by size, download this posts. Why???

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:49 am

when I set filter by size that is grater then 5M profile on a group it is steel download this headers (and JUST mark them as "too small")
this generate unnecessary big DB files

That's how it works. The filters just change how the data is displayed, it doesn't change how the headers are stored. You could set a min size filter of 5 megs then select them all and "Shift-Delete" to remove them from the DB. If you don't want to see the filtered out posts, you need to enable the filters. Then you won't see "too small".

If you want to keep the DB sizes down, you could also reduce the "Storage Age" so Newsbin doesn't keep as many headers before it purges them.

Searching is impacted by the number of entries, not the size of the entries. It might be possible to do this with a header filter but I've never done it before. Since most files are made of multiple 250-700K blocks and the blocks are counted using a counter that looks like "[X/Y]" it might be possible to make a regular expression that filters in posts that have <= 10 blocks.

Subject: [ BHjxHQGsnnpMOGtbyHhCqkn ]-[02/34] - "BHjxHQGsnnpMOGtbyHhCqkn.part01.rar" yEnc (01/66)

Subject Accept: "\(0{0,3}[0-9]/[0-1][0-5]{0,1}\)"

I don't know if this will work but something like this could work.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Filter post by size, download this posts. Why???

Postby avi111 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:42 pm

Thanks
But is it possible after downloading the post and checking the size to prevent from adding it to DB?

P.S. in many groups the 70% of the posts that are <5M in size
avi111
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support