It took NB 24-hours to load headers

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

It took NB 24-hours to load headers

Postby hurple » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:56 am

My NB has been like this for quite a while now, and I am finally annoyed by it enough to look for help. I just, literally, had to keep NB up and running for 24-hours after clicking the "Download Latest Group Updates" button before seeing any headers load for several of my groups.

I am pretty sure it's because of the sheer number of the posts in those groups have overwhelmed the processing.

Is there a way to reset, clean out, update, or something to eliminate all the crap and get it all back up to speed?
hurple
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/16/02

Re: It took NB 24-hours to load headers

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:16 am

1 - First question is how many days worth are you loading? The more days you load the slower it'll be.

2 - Certain groups aren't usable by headers anymore. If you have some of these in your groups list, header load will bog down.

3 - What kind of machine is this?

4 - You might try loading one group at a time, if you normally load blocks of groups and see it one in particular is bogging down the load.

It you tend to "Show all" when you load a group/groups. I'd suggest not doing that. The old posts never change so, you really don't need to load them all of you're looking for the latest results.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby hurple » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:32 pm

1 - First question is how many days worth are you loading? The more days you load the slower it'll be.

One day.

2 - Certain groups aren't usable by headers anymore. If you have some of these in your groups list, header load will bog down.

Then how do I check those groups?

3 - What kind of machine is this?

It is personally built.

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 3350P @ 3.10GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8B75-M (LGA1155)

4 - You might try loading one group at a time, if you normally load blocks of groups and see it one in particular is bogging down the load.

AH, good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Duh!

It you tend to "Show all" when you load a group/groups. I'd suggest not doing that. The old posts never change so, you really don't need to load them all of you're looking for the latest results.

I do not. I alsways keep it set to Hide All unless I am looking for somethng I might have missed.

I tried doing a Purge To Display Age, but it keeps freezing up and I have to kill the program in Task Manager.
hurple
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:43 am

I tried doing a Purge To Display Age, but it keeps freezing up and I have to kill the program in Task Manager.

If you see disk activity, you might want to just leave alone for awhile till it hopefully finishes. We're talking a massive amount of data in many cases.

You could set the "Storage Age" to maybe 30 days. This will make Newsbin purge older posts every time you download headers. The prior thing applies. The first time will be slow.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby hurple » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:46 am

I let it run, for 48 hours. Headers *finally* cleared. Restarted the program and everything was nice and speedy... that one time.

The next time I opened the program and downloaded new headers again, I'm back to having to wait hours.

To be clear, the headers are downloading in a few minutes. They are not propogating in the files window. Plus, Newsbin is slowing the rest of my PC applications to a crawl when it runs.
hurple
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:14 am

Intel Core i5 3350P @ 3.10GHz

This should be plenty of CPU.

Some groups are simply not header-friendly anymore. They're just dumping ground for posts that can only be downloaded using NZB Files. I'm assuming this is group specific because it's not happening to me. I'd still suggest trying to pin down what group(s) are causing the stalling.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Cybercat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:23 pm

I have the same issue with one of the busier groups. Last time I downloaded headers I got 75 files in the import directory and after about a day running it has only reduced this to 40 files.

I get the impression windows is giving this process a very low priority or something. According to task manager newsbin is using very little CPU speed, highest peak I saw was 6% but mostly it's at 0% and total CPU usage of *all* running processes doesn't come above 10% so it's not that my processor is too slow. Is there any way to give newsbin a higher priority? I'm sure it doesn't actually need days to process these relatively small files.
Cybercat
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/16/03

Postby UPdown » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:23 am

For what it's worth, I've been having severe issues when doing a download of NZB files on a Win 7x64 Pro box with 24G of memory and a decent quad-core AMD CPU. It's eight years old, but it was a Caddy when I had it built. My wired in Ethernet isn't a speed burner, but 50M download was okay after I downsized from running 500M. Then, about two months ago, whenever NB downloaded, things got choppy. CPU use through the roof. But when downloading through a web-browser something, CPU use was normal. I COULD watch a video while waiting for the file to download. Right now, I'm downloading something through NZB and the BPS is hovering around 1.2Mbps down to 387 Kbps. I've seen speeds around 2Mbps recently, so this is unusually slow EVEN compared to the snail pace of late. Typing into the forum here is a case of hoping my touch-typing skills are still okay. Otherwise, it's type and wait.

Honestly, I've been unhappy of late, but occupied with other things. While I don't NECESSARILY think this is related to the header issue, it's in the ballpark. I'm using NB Pro 6.90B1 Build 5200.

Thanks for what you do. Be safe.
UPdown
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/27/12

Postby Quade » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:48 pm

I'd suggest, use "Open data folder" in the options to open the data folder, exit Newsbin then wipe the whole folder except for the NBI file and if you use headers "spool_v6". Clean sweep most of the folder then see what happens.

Make sure it really IS the newsbin data folder before you go crazy. I've sees some people move the data folder into odd places. The NBI file normally called "Newsbin.nbi" is where the settings are stored and the "spool_v6" folder is where headers live.

6.90B1 is a bit problematic. I might revert till B2 is out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support