Newsbin windows flashing repeatedly

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin windows flashing repeatedly

Postby jh20001 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:29 pm

This has always been a thing, but I wondered if there is a fix because it does get annoying.

Whenever Newsbin runs out of space, it pops up the normal window showing its out of space and cannot continue downloading. You can't pause or anything because you can't get rid of that window. It just pops right back up if you close it, blocking you from the rest of the application.

So, you go to your drive and manually delete a few large things to clear some space. The moment you that, the popup vanishes and Newsbin goes into a seizure for some time. It becomes unresponsive and the title bar flashes rapidly (enough to turn the monitor off or cover it with another application window so you don't have to look at it as it hurts the eyes).

Sometimes it will sit there for many minutes flashing until it feels it is happy about something.

It's a powerful 4K-editing system with 64GB of memory and doesn't lack anywhere else, and Newsbin has always done this. So it has to be something with how it handles coming out of a state of not having any capacity left to save to.
jh20001
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/30/06

Re: Newsbin windows flashing repeatedly

Postby Quade » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:06 pm

I've been meaning to make the popup windows go away for good. It's just not been removed yet. Instead it'll just stall the download waiting for you to fix the free space issue. I believe what's happening is that the popup window is stacking and that's why is spazes f it remains open too long.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Newsbin windows flashing repeatedly

Postby jh20001 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:48 pm

That does seem to be the case. The longer it sits like that, the longer it takes to recover (if at all). Let it go overnight like that and you will likely have to end task it and reopen. I'll look to the future then when that update rolls its way into the world. *cheers* to Newsbin, such a wonderful program.
jh20001
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/30/06

Return to V6 Technical Support