Maximum search results

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Maximum search results

Postby ckought » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:05 am

Is there a way to increase the maximum number of returned internet search results? It looks like it maxes out at around 2000, but there are times when that just doesn't give me what I'm looking for. For instance, if I want to grab all files from a particular Poster, and that Poster has more than 2000 files, then I won't be able to list them all. I've tried work-arounds, like using the Min & Max file sizes, and doing a search for everything between 10MB & 100MB, then doing a search for everything between 5MB & 10MB, then search for everything between 1MB & 5MB - but within each of those there's still more than 2000, and I can't break it down any further than that (plus that method is a lot more cumbersome than just allowing more results overall in the searches).

Also, is there any way to search for certain Subject text from a specific Poster? There's been times when someone posts something with a common name in the Subject, so if I search based on Subject it gives me way too many results (>2000) to find what I'm looking for, and if I do a search on the Poster, I get too many results to be able to find it (>2000). If I could search for both Subject and Poster within the same search, it would help things a lot. For instance, if the subject is "vacation.mpg" and the poster is "xyz@abc.com", and I need to get some PAR files for a repair, I'd like to be able to search for "vacation.mpg" PAR2 from "xyz@abc.com" and get what I was looking for quickly.
ckought
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/03

Re: Maximum search results

Postby Quade » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:13 pm

In the search tab, there's a curly arrow pointing left. If you click it after a search, it'll pull the next 2000 hits and so on.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ckought » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:00 am

Huh. I've been using NewsBin for literally more than 20 years (version 3, back in 1999), and never realized that that button did that.

Is there a way to search on both Poster and Subject at the same time?
ckought
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/03

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:47 am

There isn't but if you search on poster, after you get a decent number of results you can type a new search string in. Just don't hit enter. It'll filter down the results you have.

Hitting enter will trigger a new search whereas just typing a new string in should just do a subject search.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support