newshosting 502 error only!

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

newshosting 502 error only!

Postby mednzb » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:00 am

I am having the exact same issue someone else reported back in 2015.

http://forum.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=38584

I just signed up with newshosting today and I kept getting a 502 error first I thought I put my username and password wrong but I kept trying nothing helped tried other readers worked no problem. The only way I can an get to work is completely uninstall newsbin and start over. Even when I try and use a old nbi file the problem comes back and I have to uninstall again. Once it is working I still get a a few connections during a download that will give a 502 newsbin does not like something with newshosting
mednzb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/05/05

Re: newshosting 502 error only!

Postby Quade » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:49 pm

How many connections do you have set and how many are you allowed? A Reinstall will default you back to 8 connections so, I'm guessing you're trying to use too many connections.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mednzb » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:57 pm

Quade wrote:How many connections do you have set and how many are you allowed? A Reinstall will default you back to 8 connections so, I'm guessing you're trying to use too many connections.

I tried everything! it I used 8. 1,30 nothing helped until I did a complete uninstall. I was getting very frustrated thinking that there was something wrong with my account but I was able to use there own client so I downloaded SAB. it worked fine. I just uninstalled newsbin than it worked.. Then I tried using an old nbi with the new install back to 502 error even after deleting the nbi file it wouldn't work until I uninstalled newsbin again! I even restored my system from a previous image and took a nbi file that was working from a new install and tried to use it with the buckup image and got a 502 error!
mednzb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:27 am

Using the old NBI, Instead of re-installing it might be worth trying to simply deleting the server in Newsbin, restarting Newsbin and then re-adding the server with the same name. It sounds like some legacy options in the servers option in the NBI is causing you problems.

Your symptoms suggest the problem is in the NBI and not Newsbin or the server.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mednzb » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:20 pm

Quade wrote:Using the old NBI, Instead of re-installing it might be worth trying to simply deleting the server in Newsbin, restarting Newsbin and then re-adding the server with the same name. It sounds like some legacy options in the servers option in the NBI is causing you problems.

Your symptoms suggest the problem is in the NBI and not Newsbin or the server.

That was your answer in the 2015 thread and the problem is still there! I get why you are skeptical newshosting isn't a no name provider so it the problem should be more wide spread. If it was just the host why is it working when you do fresh reinstall just look into it please!
mednzb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:00 pm

If it was just the host why is it working when you do fresh reinstall just look into it please!

I'm not saying it's a problem with the server.

1 - You seem to be reporting it works if you re-install Newsbin. Then when you try to use the old NBI it stops working again. If that's not what you're saying then maybe you could clarify it?

2 - Or are you saying after a re-install it works for awhile then stops working and you then have to re-install?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mednzb » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:55 pm

Quade wrote:
If it was just the host why is it working when you do fresh reinstall just look into it please!

I'm not saying it's a problem with the server.

1 - You seem to be reporting it works if you re-install Newsbin. Then when you try to use the old NBI it stops working again. If that's not what you're saying then maybe you could clarify it?

2 - Or are you saying after a re-install it works for awhile then stops working and you then have to re-install?

I know it wasn't the easiest to understand sorry! Before I did a reinstall when I added newshosting to the server list It was a complete 502 lockout once I did the reinstall it worked, but when I was using 30 or any number of network connections 3 or so at any time would give a 502 error during a download. What I was trying to do with the old nbi file with new install was not having to resetup all my servers but it would cause a complete 502 lockout until I did a clean reinstall again. I hope this made my problem more clear.
mednzb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:18 am

Not really any clearer...

One thing you could do is look in both NBIs, in the server options for the working and the non-working server then compare the two by eye. My guess is there's some flag or options that's different between the server settings for the working and not working server.

I'm going to guess it's something like "xfeatures" which not all servers support. It defaults to disabled in new installs.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support