Incomplete Files Don't Fail

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Incomplete Files Don't Fail

Postby linutic » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:27 pm

I've been using Newsbin regularly since 2002. There are some quirks that have been irritating me for a long time. Thought I should mention them to you.

Sometimes incomplete files get "stuck" and do not fail. Below is an example from Newsbin 6.82:

[img]D:\user-gene\Downloads\Bad_Files_Wont_Fail.png[/img]

<<the image does not show in preview, although if I cut and paste the enclosed path in Windows explorer, the image displays>>

This is the image about 15 hours after the four files got stuck. Setup-->Options-->Max Retries is set to 2.

The first two files have PARs, but not enough. They appear to retry something like every 20 seconds. The display goes from N:15 to N:0, then repeats, over and over again. However the Retry:0 never changes.

The second two files have no PARs, and are incomplete. The behavior is entirely different from the first two files. They retry and bump the Retry counter, and then increase the timeout each retry. After 15 hours or so, the image shows Retry:23 and N:3790. However the files have not failed, even though max retries is set to 2.

If I manually delete these files, and tell Newsbin to delete incompletes, the program leaves chunks in the newsbin\chunks directory. If I delete a lot of files, the chunks directory (on a small ~60 SSD partition) fills up. Then I have to shut down Newsbin, manually delete the chunks directory, and restart Newsbin. Newsbin never seems to mind that its Chunks directory was deleted; it just downloads any needed chunks again.

It appears that's 3 different bugs:
(1) files with PARs never bump the retry count.
(2) files w/o PARs bump the retry count but ignore Max Retries.
(3) manually deleted files do not delete their entries in the newsbin\chunks directory.
linutic
n00b
n00b

Re: Incomplete Files Don't Fail

Postby linutic » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:51 pm

Apparently I don't know how to use Img tags. Here's the image from my previous post as a URL:

Links not allowed for unregistered users
linutic
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:29 am

The new beta, which should be in the forum here today, is much more aggressive about cleaning the download list. I'd say we wait till you can try it, then see if this issue is solved.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby linutic » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:01 pm

Thanks Quade. I will check it out.
linutic
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support