Search: Critical Database Error

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Search: Critical Database Error

Postby Tracy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:53 am

Greetings,

Newsbin 6.82: 00 16 00 00 00 00
Ubuntu 20.04.1
Wine 6.0
Windows version (emulated): Windows 10

When using Internet Search, with search term "Information Society", I receive the following error when attempting to add items from the search results to the download list...

-------------------
Critical Database Error Occurred

An error occurred accessing our database during your search. Hopefully we're working on it right now. Please try again in a few minutes and if it doesn't go away, please report error code 500 to NewsBin Technical Support

We apologize for the inconvenience.
------------------

This has been happening for the last couple of days. I never get any entries added to the download list, nor do any files actually show up in my download folder (meaning nothing is whizzing through the download list fast enough to not show up on screen).

Any ideas/suggestions? Additional information needed (if I don't know how to gather any requested information, I'll ask)...
Tracy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/20/00

Re: Search: Critical Database Error

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:32 am

I entered that in 6.90B5 and got 52 results. I did the same using the same version under wine and got the same results.

How are you entering it? Using the search tab, things won't automatically be added to download.

I'll ask Dex to check the logs and see if he can see any errors.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Tracy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:43 am

Sorry, I might not have been clear. The error does not occur when I do the search - I get just over 300 results returned. The error occurs when I attempt to select items to add to the download list. I sort the returned items by file size (largest first), then select the first 20 or so, then choose Download Items - then about 10 to 20 seconds later that error comes up, with no items added to the download list, and no items actually downloaded.
Tracy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Tracy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:06 pm

Sequence of events:

1) Open Newsbin

[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lC60tdJgn5dWFxwUfcXI9qwOJIk3OHmF/view?usp=sharing[/url]

2) Enter search terms

[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pdqd3WOzhpvtXalJ16wQTEAX-WygOiD_/view?usp=sharing[/url]

3) Search

[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xu1itx_N25Lj7_1-ncZiDvPVxQUHmBYn/view?usp=sharing[/url]

4) Select items

[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JSS1VK73uvlNVQKsfHY91gQ-IokvyDRv/view?usp=sharing[/url]

5) Add to download list

[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rkMJKOOLjsf-dMdhar2IAPE5iT6QtQKV/view?usp=sharing[/url]

6) Boom

[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E7x7x7M2YA-HhUQ0t2rnK7schFCkyI1o/view?usp=sharing[/url]

Nothing gets added to the download list, and nothing gets downloaded....
Tracy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:21 pm

I tested this and it worked for me.

Might be best to use the support form on our main website www.newsbin.com and sending this information directly to Dex. It'll let him check your account.

It might be wine specific. It's hard to tell.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Tracy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:48 pm

I will use the support form to send the info in.

It's just weird that it was working (for other searches) a week ago, and now it isn't. No changes that I can see on my machine.

Tracy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:56 pm

I found it in the error logs, looks like the inbound request is getting corrupted. I don't have detailed logging turned on, but it's enough to see that's the issue. The error we're returning is misleading, it's kindof a blanket "something bad happened" error message. I can probably isolate this specific error pattern and return something a little more meaningful.

In the mean time, does it work if you queue the files one by one?
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tracy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:18 pm

I tried queuing them one at a time, and while I didn't get the error, I also didn't get anything queued or downloaded. Although the interesting thing is that in the search results window, it shows the ones I tried to manually queue as downloaded (but they never showed up in the "Downloading Files" tab, the "Failed Files" tab, or the "Files List" tab (and the files aren't in my download folder)....

To add to this - if I try to queue several files (one at a time), after a few, it just stops responding (no response to mouse clicks or keyboard, and I get a "This program has stopped responding - force quit or wait" dialog)....
Tracy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:08 am

It works fine under windows so I have to chalk it up to some weird wine thing. Are you running the latest version of wine? Looks like 6.1 was just released last week.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tracy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:33 am

Yep, WINE was updated on my system on Wednesday evening. Same problem before and after the update.

I'll keep poking at it and see if I can figure it out. Might boot up a VirtualBox machine with Windows, just to test.
Tracy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support