New features in Internet search.

NewsBin Announcements

Moderators: Quade, dexter

New features in Internet search.

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Dex is getting ready to enable some new features in Internet Search. One will require a change to version 6 (probably B10) the other won't.

Group Filtering:

Even if you don't download headers, if you know what groups you want to search and you only want to search these groups you can do so.

1 - Right click the groups list and select "New Folder". Give it a name "Linux" lets say.
2 - Now add groups using the add groups window. These groups will go to the "Unsorted" folder in the groups list, just select, right click and "Send to Folder" to send them to
the "Linux" folder.

[Linux]
a.b.linux
a.b.linux.iso
a.b.warez.linux

3 - Now when you do "Internet Search" use "Search In Groups", select this Topic and when you search, it'll only search in these groups.

So basically you can filter search down to only searching in the groups you like. Lets say you don't want to see German or French files and they're always in specific groups. You just don't add these groups to the groups list. Using this method, you can create your own "Topics" so, your searches are much more focuses and more likely to find what you're looking for. This has been in there awhile.

The two new features we're adding are

"Wildcard" mode and "Next" mode

- If you put a "*" in the search window, it'll return the 2000 newest files that have been inserted into the database.

- If you combine "*" with "Search in Groups", you can see the 2000 newest sets of files in the groups you're watching. It's sort of like downloading headers without downloading headers.

- A new feature not in B9 yet is "Next" mode. You know currently the search server will only return the first 2000 hits. "Next" mode will return the next 2000, and then the next 2000 and so on.

Sometimes you want to see what's in the groups and you don't really know what to search for. "Wildcard" mode will let you see what's in the groups that you'd normally miss just by searching.

Dex is still working on getting this all tested and integrated. It might be today or tomorrow before it's ready. "Next" will be in B10.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: New features in Internet search.

Postby dexter » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:56 pm

Hmmm, no pressure here! ;)

It's working in my test environment. I'll be promoting to production tonight or tomorrow after I get some regression testing in to make sure I didn't break anything...
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Announcements