Using Nord VPN with UsenetServer

Help each other out if there is not a specific forum here for your news service. Discussion of news servers known to have problems, troubleshooting news server problems, other news service related issues.

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Using Nord VPN with UsenetServer

Postby astrax » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:08 am

I've come across this problem, when I want to connect to use UsenetServer as a provider and Nord VPN.
I get [10/19 14:53:22] ERROR NEWS SERVER ERROR: news6.usenetserver.com Unable to Connect to news server Error: Unable to Convert Server Name to Internet Address: news6.usenetserver.com Port:3128 11004
When I turn it off, it's fine.

Is UsenetServer blocking Nord? Is there a way to make this work?
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/10

Re: Using Nord VPN with UsenetServer

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:47 pm

It's a DNS error. It means when Newsbin ask windows to convert "news6.usenetserver.com" to an address it fails. Does "news.usenetserver.com" work? When you switch on your VPN you're probably switching to their DNS server too. You could try disabling automatic name server assignment and maybe always use google DNS server.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby astrax » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:24 am

Thanks for the reply.
"news.usenetserver.com" instead of "news6.usenetserver.com" seems to work when VPN is turned on... But: I enabled "custom DNS" in the Nord settings (did not enter any server). Seems to be a relatively slow connection now, though. Would you reccommend adding another DNS server?

*edit
It's acutally "news-eu.usenetserver.com" not "news.usenetserver.com", sorry...
And "news6.usenetserver.com" (the 6 meaning it's an IPv6) does not work with Google DNS.
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Moondawgie » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:42 pm

astrax wrote:Thanks for the reply.
"news.usenetserver.com" instead of "news6.usenetserver.com" seems to work when VPN is turned on... But: I enabled "custom DNS" in the Nord settings (did not enter any server). Seems to be a relatively slow connection now, though. Would you reccommend adding another DNS server?

*edit
It's acutally "news-eu.usenetserver.com" not "news.usenetserver.com", sorry...
And "news6.usenetserver.com" (the 6 meaning it's an IPv6) does not work with Google DNS.

From NordVPN's list of FAQ's: Do you support IPv6?

That's the information which a member of NordVPN's support provided back in June of this year when I last asked when their Windows client might support IPv6.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/17/03

Postby astrax » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:21 am

Moondawgie wrote:
From NordVPN's list of FAQ's: Do you support IPv6?

That's the information which a member of NordVPN's support provided back in June of this year when I last asked when their Windows client might support IPv6.

Thanks, I found even their ipv4 is rather slow on my end.
I sat through an hour trying to figure this out with one of their tech supports. But nothing seems to fix the speed issue I have, when using their VPN with ipv4.
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Moondawgie » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:54 pm

As evidence of what is possible, these are my typical Speedtest results from my location in Montecito, California, with 100/10 Mbps cable internet service from Spectrum:

Standard connection

(Only one URI allowed per message)

One thing I've learned with NordVPN is to never select the "Fastest connection" chosed by the Windows client app. The selection seems to be based upon the fastest ping found which can result in slow download speeds. I select the city that is nearest to me, and then the least congested server. I then run Speedtest. if the download speed isn't acceptable I then disconnect and select from the next least congested servers until I find one that is suitable. I most often find one with about a 12ms ping with a download speed that hovers around 110 Mbps. On rare occasions, I can't find a suitable connection and check again later in the day.

Good luck.
MS Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit I- ASUS P8Z77-V LE; Intel i7-3770K 3.5 GHz; 16.0GB DDR3; 500 Mbps cable internet.
Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Moondawgie » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:57 pm

Moondawgie
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to News Servers