File name reject - .srr, .nfo, .nzb

Tips on writing regular expressions for searching the post list

Moderators: Quade, dexter

File name reject - .srr, .nfo, .nzb

Postby suprfli » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:39 pm

I'd like to accomplish two things.
  • Filter out all file names that end in ".nfo", ".srr", and a few others.
  • I'd like to filter out all file names that contain "sample", "proof", and a few other words.

In essence, there are a bunch of file types and file names that I don't want to be automatically downloaded when I load up a NZB file.

I've gone into the filter profiles and under the filename reject tab I added "\.nfo" and "\.srr" without quotes under the tab. I'm TERRIBLE with regular expressions so I'm sure that I've done this wrong. Can someone help me with creating basic filters? TIA.
suprfli
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/19/03

Re: File name reject - .srr, .nfo, .nzb

Postby Quade » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:05 pm

1 - Generate a new filter profile. Call it "PostUnRAR".

2 - Add "Filename Reject" Filters for

\.nfo
\.sfv
\.srr
sample

And anything else you want.

3 - In the AutoPAR options, "enable post unrar filter". Then select the "PostUnRAR" filter you just created.

Now after an unrar, this filter will be run on the resulting files and will delete any file that matches the filter. That should get them, assuming you're letting Newsbin do the unrar.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby suprfli » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:18 pm

Thank you!!! :D
suprfli
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby suprfli » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:02 pm

Hmm. I just tested it and did exactly as you instructed. For some reason though the .nzb files weren't deleted post-unrar. I simply added \.nzb to the filename reject filter.

Sorry, One other question. Is there a way for Newsbin to reject the files prior to download? Ideally I'd like to not waste the bandwidth to download samples. I'd like to load the NZB file, Newsbin recognize the file name, and then add it to the failed files or just drop it.
suprfli
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Sure. How are you feeding files to the download list? How you do that somewhat impacts how to do it.

Keep in mind that the only files of any significant size you're trying to filter are the samples. The rest of the small text files are tiny

How about adding "sample" to the global filter as a "filename Reject". As long as you don't force the download, which makes it bypass the filters, that should catch every sample. One reason you might not want to filter sfv and the other meta files out in global is that they're often mentioned in the PAR files and can have an impact on whether a file can be repaired or not. I'd let them download and then let the post-unrar filter kill them.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby suprfli » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:25 pm

Ah! Maybe that's why my filters aren't working now or haven't worked in the past. In my global filename reject file I have \.nfo and \.srr. I have all file filters set to "none" so there is no min/max file size limitation.

The way I'm feeding files to the download list is via NZB file. I download the NZB file and then drag and drop it into Newsbin or if I'm downloading a NZB file in Firefox I simply choose "open with" and it immediately sends it to Newsbin, opens Newsbin, and begins the download. Once complete it auto unrar's the files.

In reference to the files, the small text files are just annoying so automatically deleting them would save me the burden especially if I'm download a bunch of files at once. The samples are larger files and again it's less about the bandwidth and more about convenience and automation. Thanks again!
suprfli
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Not trying to blow your mind or anything but there's another filter that can apply to loaded NZB's...

It works like the post-unrar filter but you're going to want to use subject reject/accept instead of filename reject because it filters at the post level and not the downloading file level.

Subject Accept/Reject is used for display filtering.

Filename Accept/Reject, happens when the filesii actually download.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby suprfli » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:58 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. Makes perfect sense. I'll try that. Thanks!
suprfli
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to Regular Expressions