Newsdemon problems

Forum for NewsDemon Discussion and Support. Monitored by representatives from newsdemon.com

Newsdemon problems

Postby optiman » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:25 pm

In addition to my other post about very slow header downloads, the Newsdemon website has issues. Clicking on live customer support does nothing, in Firefox and IE-- nothing happens. I'm trying to solve the header download issue but you can't contact Newsdemon. The website doesn't use password fill-in by any web browser, so the obtuse login and passwords assigned to you have to be looked up each time. And finally, Newsbin build 9821 64-bit crashes for some reason when using Newsdemon. Yikes.
Optiman
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/13/03

Re: Newsdemon problems

Postby Newsdemon » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Are you still having the same issues with the support pages? When you submitted the ticket, our web server was getting hammered, we were right in the middle of a sales event.

As for the header speed issue, I just commented on that in the other post you made. I will make a suggestion to our development team about the password fields.

If you will PM me your memberid I will check your account to make sure nothing odd has happened that could cause NB to crash. We use the standard RFC commands every provider uses so I can not see why it would only crash when using our service. Include how many connections you are trying to use and the port(s) it is crashing with. I may need to research this one a bit.
Newsdemon
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/26/06

Postby optiman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Thanks for being so responsive-- very impressed and this bodes well for Newsdemon. I'll stick with it to see if header download speeds improve.
Optiman
Last edited by optiman on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:00 pm

optiman wrote: <snip> And finally, Newsbin build 9821 64-bit crashes for some reason when using Newsdemon. Yikes.
Optiman

Click the Servers button and turn off XFeatures and see if that resolves the crash problem. XFeature is how the other servers are implementing compressed headers. Since NewsDemon does not support this, it's possible that the way NewsDemon responds to that command might be messing Newsbin up. If the problem goes away, we need to look into it further. I haven't been able to recreate it myself.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby optiman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:54 pm

I disabled the Xfeatures. But I can tolerate occasional crashes, Newsdemon's main problem for me is horrible header download speeds. It's strange-- with xfeatures off, header download speeds gets even worse-- 200kbps-- even though they say they don't use compression??

PS believe it or not, their european servers outperform all US servers in header downloads. I suspect their US servers are simply inadequate to the task.
optiman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to NewsDemon